Zooming across the conutry

Clark Propst

This morning I did a Zoom presentation for a NMRA group out in Michigan and Indiana. Besides HS2020 I know there're smaller groups having regular Zoom meetings. It's a good way for local groups to bring in 'fresh blood' for a talk. Might be something for guys to consider. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get a speaker from elsewhere in the country. I was asked to do something for a group out in the NW, but didn't know of such things as Zoom then.
Just a thought...
Clark Propst

Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek

Slightly OT –

I just got off a Zoom call with one participant along the Space Coast, one in Queens, one outside SF and three of us in SoCal.  We had about 3-second latency on the sound.  Has anyone else experienced that, or was it just our hook-up.

Jim van Gaasbeek

Irvine, CA

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Clark Propst
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 10:19 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Zooming across the conutry

This morning I did a Zoom presentation for a NMRA group out in Michigan and Indiana. Besides HS2020 I know there're smaller groups having regular Zoom meetings. It's a good way for local groups to bring in 'fresh blood' for a talk. Might be something for guys to consider. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get a speaker from elsewhere in the country. I was asked to do something for a group out in the NW, but didn't know of such things as Zoom then.
Just a thought...
Clark Propst

Philip Dove

I have been attending zoom meetings for nearly a year now, l have not encountered  time lag as a normal thing. Last week l was talking with someone in Malaysia for 4hours fifteen minutesthe screen went blank twice for periods under ten seconds due to poor signal. I have been in meetings from the UK with China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Chile, Malaysia, Germany, The Netherlands amongst other countries. Last year the contacts with China sometimes failed but now it seems better. Some people seem to have poor resolution pictures. Generally l find Zoom great even if you use free zoom meetings and have to reconnect every 40 minutes. 

Sent from my Huawei phone

-------- Original message --------
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021, 17:45
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Zooming across the conutry

Slightly OT –

I just got off a Zoom call with one participant along the Space Coast, one in Queens, one outside SF and three of us in SoCal.  We had about 3-second latency on the sound.  Has anyone else experienced that, or was it just our hook-up.

Jim van Gaasbeek

Irvine, CA

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Clark Propst

Just a thought...
Clark Propst

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...>

Jim and friends,

Yes, the delays on Zoom are a real and well-known issue, though I'm not sure if "latency" is the actual technical term for it. My sweetheart and I have attended several Zoom sessions hosted by a musician friend. The music only went one way, from him out to us and the other participants. He explained that because of the latency problem, musicians can't play together on Zoom since they will always be a bit out of cinque. Imagine how difficult it would be to stay on beat. He invited us to try singing back to him as an experiment, and it sounded like two dozen cats (us) being shaken around in a trash can.

Zoom is a pretty good tool, for what it does. I've tried Google Meet and found it was a lot more problematic than Zoom, and didn't have as many bells and whistles. Zoom's virtual backgrounds look like they would be fun to play with, but they require a computer with a quad (or higher) processor. My machine only has a dual processor. I'm still trying to learn how to do my own presentations for the Society for Creative Anachronism re-enactment club, but my tests have yet to be successful. I've not been too good with computers since my I-Mac Snow with OS9 died!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 1:45 PM Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek <jvgbvg@...> wrote:

Slightly OT –

Jim van Gaasbeek

Irvine, CA

Just a thought...
Clark Propst

Philip Dove

If you want a zoom of everyone singing Freight train together you need individual clips of "film from each singer and musician. Then send them all to someone with a lot of equipment and technical skill. they somehow stretch and shrink each film till they fit together. Then you present via zoom or some other platform the mosaic of all the musicians singing together. Our audoa visual technician at church has started including a hymn at each evening service done this way. it takes her hours to get everyone in synch but it works.
To do Freight car talks or meetings on zoom would be a great idea. I haven't met anyone who likes American freight cars for over a decade, because I live in the UK

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Eric Hansmann

Phil,

You need to meet Paul Doggett, Brian Moore, and Rob Clark. All are very good UK modelers following US prototypes.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 03/20/2021 4:49 PM Philip Dove <philipdove22@...> wrote:

If you want a zoom of everyone singing Freight train together you need individual clips of "film from each singer and musician. Then send them all to someone with a lot of equipment and technical skill. they somehow stretch and shrink each film till they fit together. Then you present via zoom or some other platform the mosaic of all the musicians singing together. Our audoa visual technician at church has started including a hymn at each evening service done this way. it takes her hours to get everyone in synch but it works.
To do Freight car talks or meetings on zoom would be a great idea. I haven't met anyone who likes American freight cars for over a decade, because I live in the UK

Virus-free. www.avast.com
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#182830) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [eric@...]

_._,_._,

Brian Stokes

"I was asked to do something for a group out in the NW, but didn't know of such things as Zoom then.
Just a thought...
Clark Propst"

I was going to say, Clark... remember when I asked if you'd do a clinic virtually for a PNR Div meet? Who would have thought back then that it would become such a common thing now. 

Next time you have no excuse. Although if you attend in person we can go fishing...

Brian

--
Brian Stokes
North Point Street in Proto:48

Chris Barkan

--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Chris Barkan

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 06:08 AM, Chris Barkan wrote:

--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL
My apologies, this was an inadvertent "double click" by my finger that resulted in a blank message being sent.  Is there a way one can delete a message in Groups I/O?

--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL