Photo: Grand Trunk Boxcar 15233

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Grand Trunk Boxcar 15233

A phot from the Digital Commonwealth website:

https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/search/commonwealth:br86bb23m

Click on the photo and scroll to enlarge the photo.

Undated.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Ian Cranstone

Neat photo. Built by Rhodes Curry of Amherst, Nova Scotia in July 1906, this car would be assigned to be CN 336401 following the Grand Trunk’s absorption into Canadian National in 1923.

Ian Cranstone

Osgoode, Ontario, Canada

lamontc@...

http://freightcars.nakina.net

ROGER HINMAN

Anyone want to guess on the reporting marks of the reefer in back of the GT car??? My poor eyesight guesses the last letter is D which could possible be SFRD

On Mar 25, 2021, at 2:23 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Grand Trunk Boxcar 15233
A phot from the Digital Commonwealth website:
Click on the photo and scroll to enlarge the photo.
Undated.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Ian Cranstone

The word at the upper left of the reefer appears to be “CHICAGO”, and based upon a listing in the January 1910 ORER, I think we’re likely looking at a car listed by the Chicago Refrigerator Car Co., which apparently also used the name Chicago Refrigerator Despatch – which would account for the “D” in the reporting mark – and the part letter peeking out from behind the pole and noise appears to be an “R” (the ORER does not give a reporting mark or any stencilling information for this operator). The car number in the photo is 9_55, which is also consistent with the 9000-series cars given in the ORER listing.