INDIANA RAILROAD 147 ds trussrod boxcar

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

It is unclear to me if this INDIANA RAILROAD 147 ds trussrod boxcar would have gotten around in interchange or not...

More info at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 12:07 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
It is unclear to me if this INDIANA RAILROAD 147 ds trussrod boxcar would have gotten around in interchange or not...

Not legal for interchange on the general rail system, but it is built to the specifications to allow interchange on Central Electric Railroad Association member roads, so could likely be seen on any interurban in Indiana or Ohio.  The Indiana Railroad was abandoned in 1941 on the eve of WWII, and by this late date there were no surviving connections.

Dennis Storzek

Peter Weiglin

This was an interurban freight car, equipped with radial swing couplers to take the intereurbans' tight curves.
Yes, it could have been interchanged, and likely was, but only with other electric railway lines.

Claus,

Doubtful, and certainly not by the date of this photo. It lacks proper lettering required for interchange. It also lacks an air brake hose, and no retainer valve and pipe, so it probably has only hand brakes.

Cars like these were not uncommon on electric lines, particularly in the midwest. They were especially designed to go around super-tight street railway curves. Few were ever used in interchange. Usually they were in freight-house to urban customer service, or freight-house to freight-house service on some of the larger interurbans. Motor trucks pretty much doomed them by the 1930s.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 3:07 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,

It is unclear to me if this INDIANA RAILROAD 147 ds trussrod boxcar would have gotten around in interchange or not...

More info at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

william darnaby

The IR did so some interchange with the Monon south of Greencastle where its cars would be given to the Monon for delivery to the very nearby cement works.  These cars would be immediately returned to the IR for delivery to some customer on its system.  There is a photo of this on page 51 in the IR book by Bradley.

Bill Darnaby

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 12:07 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:

It is unclear to me if this INDIANA RAILROAD 147 ds trussrod boxcar would have gotten around in interchange or not...

Not legal for interchange on the general rail system, but it is built to the specifications to allow interchange on Central Electric Railroad Association member roads, so could likely be seen on any interurban in Indiana or Ohio.  The Indiana Railroad was abandoned in 1941 on the eve of WWII, and by this late date there were no surviving connections.

Dennis Storzek

mel perry

not in its present condition, no brakes,
no.reporting.marks, damage to the side
door frame, it looks like this thing is
sitting on either a deadline or a rip track
;-)