Detail Associates freight car parts.

mopacfirst

I have not tried them, but the only DA part that I really need on a regular basis other than eye bolts (which are made by quite a few manufacturers) is the coupler cut lever.  Tangent's are good, but I think they're steel and harder for me to work with.  I found a supplier previously unknown to me by googling 'coupler cut lever', and I didn't even specify HO but that's what they are.  To save you the trouble, here's the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224371997650?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=224371997650&targetid=4580771609030744&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=410490137&mkgroupid=1234751784804553&rlsatarget=pla-4580771609030744&abcId=9300490&merchantid=51291&msclkid=464bdd3bb0131625d75ebd4c89a0795a

Or look for Barker's Trains on eBay.  The handle end of the part is shaped a little differently than the DA one, perhaps a bit too exaggerated, and the other end (the coupler end) is straight.  I put a very short 90 degree bend in it, so I can glue it to the bottom of the coupler pocket where it's out of the way.  I was able to buy 10 pair, and I'm on my second order already.

Ron Merrick

Todd Sullivan

Schuyler,

The Prantles - Theresa and Joe - are my go-to suppliers for detail parts.  They bought Precision Scale's line of brass parts and continue to stock many Detail Associates parts.  I find it easiest to search on eBay for the part I want, and order that way, although you can call them direct.  They have an eBay store with their contact information.

Todd Sullivan

Schuyler Larrabee

“lost artwork for photo-etched parts . . . “

There are those of us who can do such artwork out here.  What parts are they in need of new artwork for?

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Madden via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 6:38 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Detail Associates freight car parts.

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 04:01 PM, Raymond Stern wrote:

What has happened to Detail Associates? I have had freight car, passenger
car, and diesel parts on back order with Walther's for an awful long time. Has
Detail Associates closed and I missed the memo? I have looked at several places
besides Walther's for these and had no luck. Are these specific parts discontinued?

Found this statement on TMR Distributing's web site:

APRIL 2021 - DETAIL ASSOCIATES ANNOUNCED SOME MORE PRICE INCREASES AND OR PACKAGE QUANTITY CHANGES ON MANY OF THEIR PARTS.  SOME ITEMS THAT HAVE BEEN OUT OF STOCK FOR A WHILE ARE SLOWLY TRICKLING IN.  NUMEROUS PARTS ARE STILL CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE AND THEY ADDRESSED THIS ISSUE REPORTING THAT OVER THE PAST THREE YEARS,  TWO OF THEIR PLASTIC VENDORS HAVE CHANGED OWNERSHIP, THEIR PEWTER CASTER HAS RETIRED AND ONE OF THEIR PHOTO-ETCH VENDORS HAS CLOSED.  SOME ITEMS HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED FOR VARIOUS REASONS INCLUDING DIES BEING DAMAGED BEYOND REPAIR OR LOST ARTWORK FOR PHOTO-ETCHED PARTS.  THEY HAVE BEEN SOURCING NEW VENDORS - BUT DELIVERY IS SLOW DUE TO COVID-19 ISSUES.

Tom Madden

Bob Chapman

Pro Custom Hobbies has a nice inventory of DA parts (but no plastic ladders, IIRC). Just received a prompt shipment of grabs, etc. from them. Their website inventory works, but website ordering is out of commission -- call them to order.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

John Sykes III

Try T-J Model Trains in Pasco, Washington.  Teressa and Joel maintain a much fuller catalog of in-stock detail parts than I have been able to find elsewhere.  They have an eBay store, but can also be ordered from directly.  Teressa is often busy home-schooling their younger 7 kids, but the older ones maintain the store.  I think they recently bought Precision Scale(?), lock, stock and barrel.

-- John

Tom Madden

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 04:01 PM, Raymond Stern wrote:
besides Walther's for these and had no luck. Are these specific parts discontinued?
Found this statement on TMR Distributing's web site:

APRIL 2021 - DETAIL ASSOCIATES ANNOUNCED SOME MORE PRICE INCREASES AND OR PACKAGE QUANTITY CHANGES ON MANY OF THEIR PARTS.  SOME ITEMS THAT HAVE BEEN OUT OF STOCK FOR A WHILE ARE SLOWLY TRICKLING IN.  NUMEROUS PARTS ARE STILL CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE AND THEY ADDRESSED THIS ISSUE REPORTING THAT OVER THE PAST THREE YEARS,  TWO OF THEIR PLASTIC VENDORS HAVE CHANGED OWNERSHIP, THEIR PEWTER CASTER HAS RETIRED AND ONE OF THEIR PHOTO-ETCH VENDORS HAS CLOSED.  SOME ITEMS HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED FOR VARIOUS REASONS INCLUDING DIES BEING DAMAGED BEYOND REPAIR OR LOST ARTWORK FOR PHOTO-ETCHED PARTS.  THEY HAVE BEEN SOURCING NEW VENDORS - BUT DELIVERY IS SLOW DUE TO COVID-19 ISSUES.

Tom Madden

Raymond Stern

DET 6207 freight car ladders, long  Back ordered Feb, 6, 2017
DET 6426 freight car grab irons, straight, 19 1/2". Back ordered Sept. 10, 2016

These parts are still listed on the Walther's web site and in the 2021 catalog.

And that does not count all the wire and flat brass.

Help!

Raymond