Photo: Moving Boxcars With Horses (1913)

Richard McQuade

And that is why this is called a "team" track. Much more commonly done in the 19th century especially before mechanical car pullers.
Richard

Bob Chaparro

Randy Hees commented:

I was at Ardenwood with the SPCRR, 2 years as president, and later professionally as museum director at the Patterson House museum.

We got occasional complaints about using horses.  The reality is that per Humane Society guidelines, (from memory) a horse can pull (measured at the coupler, aka tractive effort) 1.5 times their weight...our draft horses were about 2,200 lbs., giving them a legal tractive effort of about 3,300 lbs...a typical narrow gauge car requires about 400 lbs. of effort to move it...it can be as low as 250 lbs...so our common single flat car train, was less than 15% of the horses capability.  As President of the group I invited the county Animal Shelter to the museum to audit our operation.  They said we knew more about horses than they did, and would later tell complainers that we were highly compliant.

Our horse drawn railroad was a replica of a line two miles from the museum, the Centerville branch of the South Pacific Coast. Three miles long, which operated from c.1880 to 1910, with three passenger trains each way each day, the middle train being a mixed of as many as 10 freight cars with a 4-wheel horse car following for passenger accommodations. The schedule of the line was in the Official Railway Guide.

Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City

John Barry

Ah, the elusive 0-8-8-8-8-0 in switching service!

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

On Thursday, April 15, 2021, 03:25:21 PM EDT, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Moving Boxcars With Horses (1913)

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/PRR_ME01795

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

I wonder if the horses had union cards?

Bob Chaparro