Photo: Freight Cars On Barges

jace6315

One of the main reasons the railroads hauled carfloats like this in New York harbor was so that they could minimize shifting at the float bridges. The tug stays in the middle while the barges split the rack by removing the line connecting the two barges at their bows. A good crew could essentially land two barges at once, a big factor considering the volume of freight moving by carfloats across New York harbor at one point, not to mention the high costs of the railroad marine operations.

Jim Matthews

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 4:30 PM, SamClarke via groups.io <samc@...> wrote:

Not being a barge expert, since I was born and raised in Nevada, I can see the reason of the “V” as the tug is actually pushing against sides of the barges sort of wedged in. The lashing is meant to keep the barges from spliting from the force of the tug and not the towing force. I imagine that the tug has more control pushing the “V” rather than pushing (pulling) on the lashing if the barges were lashed more symmetrically.

As I mentioned earlier the trucks look like 1954/55 Internations thus dating the photo to about that time.

Sam Clarke

R&D / Tech Advisor / Artist

Kadee Quality Products Co.

mail@...

541-826-3883

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of kevinhlafferty
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2021 4:31 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Freight Cars On Barges

As noted previously by both Dennis and Bruce there are indeed aft lines securing the tug to the barges; the port aft line is visible in this view taken moments before. Also visible in this view is a considerable amount of slack in the fore barge to barge line which would indicate that the lashing isn’t quite as secure as it might be. I would guess the aft lines are working overtime at this moment. Not having experience in large nautical equipment I have to ask is there some advantage to a V configuration of the barges vs. a more symmetric lash up?

https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agsnorth/id/11580/rec/2

Kevin Lafferty

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2021 2:12 PM

Having watched barges and tows on the Mississippi River, I know there are winches on the barge, used to tighten all lines. There are also large binders used by the crew to tighten lines that are not directly tied to the tow. This keeps the barges and tow (what the tugs are called on the river) as a rigid single unit. Note the two barges are tied together at the nose, with no visible slack.

Sent: Monday, April 26, 2021 12:04 PM

Interesting. The tug is churning along under power towards the bottom of the picture. Yet the cables off the tug's bow up to the barges have no slack. How does that work?

On 26/04/2021 9:58 a.m., Bob Chaparro via groups.io wrote:

A photo from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee Libraries:

https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agsnorth/id/11939/rec/60

Click on the arrows and scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

-- 
Colin Riley
20-2500 Florence Lake Road
Victoria BC V9B 4H2

SamClarke

Not being a barge expert, since I was born and raised in Nevada, I can see the reason of the “V” as the tug is actually pushing against sides of the barges sort of wedged in. The lashing is meant to keep the barges from spliting from the force of the tug and not the towing force. I imagine that the tug has more control pushing the “V” rather than pushing (pulling) on the lashing if the barges were lashed more symmetrically.

As I mentioned earlier the trucks look like 1954/55 Internations thus dating the photo to about that time.

Sam Clarke

mail@...

541-826-3883

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of kevinhlafferty
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2021 4:31 PM

As noted previously by both Dennis and Bruce there are indeed aft lines securing the tug to the barges; the port aft line is visible in this view taken moments before. Also visible in this view is a considerable amount of slack in the fore barge to barge line which would indicate that the lashing isn’t quite as secure as it might be. I would guess the aft lines are working overtime at this moment. Not having experience in large nautical equipment I have to ask is there some advantage to a V configuration of the barges vs. a more symmetric lash up?

Kevin Lafferty

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding

Having watched barges and tows on the Mississippi River, I know there are winches on the barge, used to tighten all lines. There are also large binders used by the crew to tighten lines that are not directly tied to the tow. This keeps the barges and tow (what the tugs are called on the river) as a rigid single unit. Note the two barges are tied together at the nose, with no visible slack.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of cptracks

Interesting. The tug is churning along under power towards the bottom of the picture. Yet the cables off the tug's bow up to the barges have no slack. How does that work?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

-- 
Colin Riley
Victoria BC V9B 4H2

kevinhlafferty

Kevin Lafferty

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

-- 
Colin Riley
Victoria BC V9B 4H2

cptracks

Thanks to all who answered.

On 26/04/2021 12:12 p.m., Douglas Harding wrote:

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

-- 
Colin Riley
Victoria BC V9B 4H2
-- 
Colin Riley
Victoria BC V9B 4H2

SamClarke

It looks like the trucks are 1954/55 Internationals.

Sam Clarke

mail@...

541-826-3883

Bill Parks

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 03:17 PM, Jerry Michels wrote:
It is interesting to see how they braced the load
Agree, especially of the two stake trucks on the flat car.  Also, notice how the stake sides are stored on the flat bed, and secured with what looks like cables

--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA
Modelling the Seaboard Airline in Central Florida

Jerry Michels

It is interesting to see how they braced the load.  Jerry Michels

Douglas Harding

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

-- 
Colin Riley
Victoria BC V9B 4H2

Nolan Hinshaw

On Apr 26, 2021, at 09:58, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

ATSF did this on San Francisco Bay between Richmond and San Francisco up into the early 1980s, with a single barge lashed in a hip tow configuration:
<https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/55-501/chap19.htm>. The tug has full control over the barge in this configuration, especially rudder control.
--
Artie the Hinged Jaw
Retired AFU Game Warden

kevinhlafferty

Engines in reverse?

Kevin Lafferty

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of cptracks

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

-- 
Colin Riley
Victoria BC V9B 4H2

RICH CHAPIN

Tug is the "BumbleBee" a New Haven Tug. Can't tell if moving north or south.

David Soderblom

In the photo note the bares form a wedge, and the tug is pushing against the sides of that wedge.

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD

--
David Soderblom
Baltimore MD
david.soderblom@...

cptracks

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

-- 
Colin Riley
Victoria BC V9B 4H2

Bob Chaparro

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA