Photo: Freight Cars On Barges

jace6315

One of the main reasons the railroads hauled carfloats like this in New York harbor was so that they could minimize shifting at the float bridges. The tug stays in the middle while the barges split the rack by removing the line connecting the two barges at their bows. A good crew could essentially land two barges at once, a big factor considering the volume of freight moving by carfloats across New York harbor at one point, not to mention the high costs of the railroad marine operations.

Jim Matthews