Photo: Union Carbide Covered Hopper 552

Bob Chaparro

Photos from the Pullman Library:

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-U-Z/i-gsBLCHC/A

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-U-Z/i-xrnPPtP/buy

Click on the photos twice for maximum enlargement.

Built 12-40.

Interesting inboard hatch cover arrangement.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charlie Vlk

All-

It almost looks like the running boards were improperly installed….it looks like there are supports for off-center boards and the hatches are hinged to open along the length of the car.  It doesn’t look like the boards have any attachment from the laterals inboard.

Also note the use of arch bar trucks in a car built in 1935!!!

Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 10:51 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Union Carbide Covered Hopper 552

Built 12-40.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

There IS something strange about that roof . . . the roof walk has many humps in it and appears to rest on the hatch covers.  ??                                                         

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Vlk
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2021 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Union Carbide Covered Hopper 552

All-

It almost looks like the running boards were improperly installed….it looks like there are supports for off-center boards and the hatches are hinged to open along the length of the car.  It doesn’t look like the boards have any attachment from the laterals inboard.

Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io

Built 12-40.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

gary laakso

Plus, the no tie plates to hold the rail. 

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 11:05 AM

There IS something strange about that roof . . . the roof walk has many humps in it and appears to rest on the hatch covers.  ??                                                         

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Vlk

All-

Charlie Vlk

Built 12-40.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

akerboomk

There is a roofwalk support just next to where the lateral(?) roofwalk attaches.

If you zoom in, it seems to me that the hinges are set up so the hatches open lengthwise (toward the end of the car) rather than crosswise (toward the side)

Which then begs the question – what are all those supports outboard of the hatches????

Stabbing in dark… You take the whole running board from the center of the car, place it on the supports outboard the hatches, then you can open the hatches?

--
Ken Akerboom

Ed Hawkins

On May 5, 2021, at 10:50 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Built 12-40.

STMFC,
For those interested per the above two photo references, Greenville Steel Car Co. built 4 orders of Union Carbide Co. covered hopper cars of like-design with UCCO reporting marks. Greenville used a numerically-sequenced Office Order (O.O.) designation when the company received orders for either new cars or when making repairs or modifications to existing cars. 

O.O. 218: 2 cars, ordered 6-35, built 9-35, 552 sample car photographed
O.O. 231: 1 car, ordered 3-36, built ca. 6-36, car number unrecorded
O.O. 249: 4 cars, ordered 1-37, built ca. 7-37, car numbers unrecorded
O.O. 309: 4 cars, ordered 10-40, built 12-40, 562 sample car photographed

All 4 orders of UCCO covered hoppers were 50-tons, 1321 cu. ft. capacity, and came with Enterprise outlets. The first 3 orders used 2nd-hand trucks furnished by B&LE. The 11 cars in the 4 orders lacked being equipped with AB brakes when built by Greenville and thus were not in interchange service unless configured with AB brakes at a later date (I’m unaware if that ever happened). If these 11 cars were numbered sequentially, they received car numbers 552-553; 554; 555-558; 559-562, respectively. 

General dimensions:
19’ truck centers
22’-8 3/8” inside length
28’-11 3/4” over striker castings
11’-5 1/4” from rail to top of running board

Prior to the construction of these UCCO cars, Greenville built two covered hopper orders for Erie & DT&I in which the same Greenville general arrangement drawing number 13394 was used for all six orders, despite the hatch arrangement being different. 

Erie 20000-20049, O.O. 202, 50 cars built ca. 7-8/1934
DT&I 11800-11814, O.O. 207, 15 cars built ca. 8-34

The Erie & DT&I cars were equipped with AB brakes for interchange service. Hatches were 48” x 36” with hatch covers that opened towards the running board. Photos of Erie 20000, 20033 & DT&I 11806 are also included in Jim Kinkaid’s photo collection at the Pullman Library SmugMug web site.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Schuyler Larrabee

That’s not unknown in little used sidings.  Unusual, yes, but not unknown.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of gary laakso
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2021 2:10 PM

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io

Schuyler

All-

Charlie Vlk

Built 12-40.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

Think back to state-of-the-art for safety appliances ca. 1940... all house cars had running boards down the center of their roof. I suspect these were built for in-plant use and Union Carbide had some good reason for the centered hatches, but there may have been some question as to the legality of the arrangement for the move over the delivering railroad, and this was the solution the builder crafted; a temporary centered running board.

Dennis Storzek

kevinhlafferty

Ken Akerboom stated:

There is a roofwalk support just next to where the lateral(?) roofwalk attaches.
If you zoom in, it seems to me that the hinges are set up so the hatches open lengthwise (toward the end of the car) rather than crosswise (toward the side)
Which then begs the question – what are all those supports outboard of the hatches????

Stabbing in dark… You take the whole running board from the center of the car, place it on the supports outboard the hatches, then you can open the hatches?
 I was thinking along the same lines. It appears that the hatches double as roof walk supports and the additional brackets on the car top are directly in line with the edges of the hatches. It looks as if there is a structural support (angle bracket) in line with each set of open brackets (no cross bar) and that the brackets with cross bars align with the latch side of the hatch cover. I'm guessing you undo the bolts or pins retaining the roof walk angle brackets and the end bolts you can then relocate and secure the roof walk to the alternate brackets. I think the metal straps at the B end of the car are extensions of the lateral supports and allow you to just slide the roof walk over to the other set of supports. Not sure what the deal would be with the A end lateral. All told, quite labor intensive just to have centerline hatches and walkway. Perhaps there was some unique loading requirement.

Kevin Lafferty 

Charlie Vlk

All-

If I am not mistaken, “Tie Plates” are just that….they are used to spread the load on a wider area than the rail base in an effort to prevent the tie from failing under the rail.  While there is a seat for the rail base it really doesn’t “hold” the rail.  It does add to helping keep the rail in gauge in the sense that the spikes on both sides of the rail base are in play because of the plate.

Charlie Vlk

Sent: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 4:29 PM

That’s not unknown in little used sidings.  Unusual, yes, but not unknown.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of gary laakso
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2021 2:10 PM

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Schuyler

All-

Charlie Vlk

Built 12-40.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA