CB&Q Livestock Car: Single Deck? Double Deck?

Bob Chaparro

CB&Q Livestock Car: Single Deck? Double Deck?

Diane Wolfgram sent me a photo of a Leadville Designs N-scale CB&Q livestock car No. 59358. She requested a prototype photo for comparison.

The prototype CB&Q car was in series 58000-59499.

I had a photo of CB&Q 58214, 58214D to be exact…a double-deck car.

The January 1955 Official Equipment Register lists cars in that series as single-deck cars. So, what’s going on here?

The listing for the 58000-59499 series included a Note E. A reading of Note E revealed a simple answer, seen below.

The Leadville Designs kit: https://leadvilledesigns.com/products/n-cb-q-36-steel-frame-58000-59000-stock-cars

Bob Chaparro

Moderator
Railway Bull Shippers Group

https://groups.io/g/RailwayBullShippersGroup

Bob Chaparro

I note that the Leadville Designs folks didn't make the effort to replicate the angle iron bracing on their N-scale models, although Voltscooter Engineering has shown that it can be done using 3-D resin printing, as they have on their N-scale stock cars based on Southern Pacific prototypes.

Diane Wolfgram

Butte, MT