Photo-etch benders - hinged vs "Razer blade" types?

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 07:01 PM, Denis Kahl wrote:
Mission Models are now out of business.
I believe they are still in business but mostly paints and a few accessories now https://www.missionmodelsus.com/ (unless this is a different company than the one you mentioned.) Here's a review of that bender, indicating the issues you mentioned. Good to know!

--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD

A&Y Dave in MD

Consider these:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tools/bending-pliers/

--
____________________________
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34

Denis Kahl

Hi,

I use the "razor blade" etch bender ie one with the fingers. The one I have purchased comes from England and is made by Avonside Works. It comes with a single edged razor blade as well as longer metal blades so that longer items can be folded. I previously owned a Mission Models (USA) finger type which also came with multiple length blades but were made of plastic which degraded badly. Mission Models are now out of business.

Some of the etches that I bend require multiple folds for which the multiple sized fingers are ideal. I would think that the hinged type would not allow you to do multiple folds on an etch.

I have seen and held a hinged type but I shied away from it because you can't see what is happening until you open it up again for a pleasant or maybe an unpleasant surprise.

Denis Kahl
Melbourne
Australia

Robert kirkham

I have one of the hinged benders (its packed away right now so I can’t confirm the model).  It works fine for Yarmouth ladders etc.  But the hinged piece is both a liability and a help.  When clamping the ladder stiles into the tool, one has to navigate the hinged piece flopping about.  Also, the part can slip into the gap at the hinge, and if you twitch when it is partly caught in there, you can get an unwelcome fold line.  I avoid that successfully almost all the time, but need to be careful.

Before picking up the hinged version I used a straight edge version.  I didn’t like the risk associated with slipping a razor blade under the etch in order to fold it.  It was hard to insert a razor blade evenly, from end to end of the etch.  Instead, I found the blade tended to go under one portion of the etch, raise it slightly and that allowed the blade to go under the rest of the etch.  But this gradual insertion of the blade could distort the etch.  For example, the etched ladders can tend to torque at the etched holes for the ladder stiles, their weakest point.

The hinged version removes that risk.  Generally I think it is a superior tool for folding along long skinny parts.

Rob