N&W Paint Question

Nelson Moyer

For clarification, I confused the CGW mini-kit build with the YMW B-5 build, both of which are on the workbench. Ed Hawkins answered both questions off line, indirectly through George Toman’s CGW clinic presentation and directly for the N&W B-5. For the CGW, freight car red sides and ends with black roof, underbody and trucks. For the B-5, it depends upon paint date. Original paint was freight car red on all surfaces with black trucks, 1951-52 repaints could be freight car red sides and ends, black roof, underbody, and trucks, and 1953-54 could be freight car red sides with black ends, roof, underbody, and trucks. Ed Hawkins provided this information based upon his research at IRM Pullman Library archives.

Nelson Moyer

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, Jim. I found George Tomans Chicagoland presentation, and according to Ed Hawkins, the roof also go car cement, so I’ll paint it black along with the underframe and trucks. Since the color photo I have shows some red on the trucks and brake gear from overspray, I won’t worry if I get some overspray when I paint the sides and ends.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Brewer
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 4:04 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] N&W Paint Question

Nelson,

Trucks and underframe (car cement) were black.

Jim Brewer

James Brewer

Nelson,

Trucks and underframe (car cement) were black.

Jim Brewer

Nelson Moyer

When I inquired about freight car red paints for N&W B-5 boxcars, I forgot to ask about the trucks and underbody. I have one color photo of a B-5 with what appears to be freight car red paint on the trucks, triple valve, and air cylinder. I don’t know if that’s from overspray with the car was repainted or usual practice for N&W. Did they use car cement on the underbody, i.e. do I paint it black? The roof and steel running board appears to be painted freight car red. So are the trucks and underbody freight car red or black?

Nelson Moyer