PRR boxcar lettering late 50s

mopacfirst

For the X26C and the X29B/X29D,  in the late 50s timeframe, what would the most common lettering scheme be?  I know what they were built with.

As 10 to 14 year old cars, were many of them repainted already into the PK scheme, or would many of them have been in decent condition in the SK schemes?  Would many of the X26C still have been in CK?

Ron Merrick
offline, but still receiving frequent Pennsy cars

Brian Carlson

PK didn’t start until the 60’s so either CK or SK.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jun 15, 2021, at 10:27 PM, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

For the X26C and the X29B/X29D,  in the late 50s timeframe, what would the most common lettering scheme be?  I know what they were built with.

As 10 to 14 year old cars, were many of them repainted already into the PK scheme, or would many of them have been in decent condition in the SK schemes?  Would many of the X26C still have been in CK?

Ron Merrick
offline, but still receiving frequent Pennsy cars

mopacfirst

OK, got it.  I think there's a summary of the dates of adoption of those paint schemes on line, but what I was more interested in is whether there was an effort to repaint as many cars as possible, or if there was minimal repainting for other than, for instance, wreck repairs, during that late 50s period.

I have photo evidence of how the maintenance of freight cars went, for cars that were more at home in the midwest, but Pennsy cars were less common here so I didn't see that many or know of many that were photographed in Kansas.  I have a decent shot of PRR 605415, which I think is an X29L, on the MP in 1970.  Not quite sharp enough, or maybe my scan wasn't a high enough pixel count, to read the shop data.

Ron Merrick