Walthers HO Scale Gondola


Bob Chaparro
 

Walthers HO Scale Gondola

I picked-up a Walthers forty-foot SP gondola, stock # 932-3805. The very low price, replacement sill steps, replacement metal wheels and good weathering job were the selling points.

Walthers no longer offers this car.

So, given that it is a Walthers model, is there any chance this car is based on or reasonably close to an actual prototype?

And is the model original to Walthers or did another firm sell the original tooling to them?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Patrick Wade
 

I found this on the web after a search by Walther's stock number.

"The Walthers 40' Gondola was first offered in the spring of 1986.  The first annual catalog appearance is the 1987 edition.  Six roadnames (CB&Q, D&RGW, Erie, PRR, SP, and Wabash), plus an Undecorated example were offered in '86 in kit form with a retail price of $4.95 each." 

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA


On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 4:03 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Walthers HO Scale Gondola

I picked-up a Walthers forty-foot SP gondola, stock # 932-3805. The very low price, replacement sill steps, replacement metal wheels and good weathering job were the selling points.

Walthers no longer offers this car.

So, given that it is a Walthers model, is there any chance this car is based on or reasonably close to an actual prototype?

And is the model original to Walthers or did another firm sell the original tooling to them?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Tony Thompson
 

Bob Chaparro  wrote:

I picked-up a Walthers forty-foot SP gondola, stock # 932-3805. The very low price, replacement sill steps, replacement metal wheels and good weathering job were the selling points.
So, given that it is a Walthers model, is there any chance this car is based on or reasonably close to an actual prototype?
And is the model original to Walthers or did another firm sell the original tooling to them?

Not sure whose tooling this was originally, maybe LifeLike, but it ain’t an SP gondola. It’s an 8-panel car, numbered for SP Class G-50-2, but those were 14-panel cars, with two of the panels wider than the others.

Tony Thompson



Benjamin Hom
 

Bob Chaparro wrote:
"I picked-up a Walthers forty-foot SP gondola, stock # 932-3805. The very low price, replacement sill steps, replacement metal wheels and good weathering job were the selling points.  Walthers no longer offers this car.

So, given that it is a Walthers model, is there any chance this car is based on or reasonably close to an actual prototype?"

Not really.  It's coincidentally close to some C&EI cars - do a search on "C&EI gons" in the group archives for the posts.


"And is the model original to Walthers or did another firm sell the original tooling to them?"

Not original to Walthers and not in the Train-Miniature line.  This 7-side post steel gon with dreadnaught ends has been offered by many manufacturers over the years, starting with Varney c. 1955, subsequently offered by Life-Like, with a close copy in AHM's line.  Cox tooled a copy of this car with slightly different side posts and ends, and this model ended up with Bachmann.  Not sure whose tooling ended up with Walthers.

As old tooling goes, this model isn't that outlandish.  The ends are a bit crude, but the model is certainly plausible.  It's too bad that the number of prototypes don't match the numbers of these models sold over the past 55+ years.


Ben Hom  


Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
 


Hi Bob and Ben,
 
So that we are all talking about the same thing, a picture is worth at least a thousand words, right? We are talking about something like what is shown in the link below, correct?
 
 
Claus Schlund
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Walthers HO Scale Gondola

Bob Chaparro wrote:
"I picked-up a Walthers forty-foot SP gondola, stock # 932-3805. The very low price, replacement sill steps, replacement metal wheels and good weathering job were the selling points.  Walthers no longer offers this car.

So, given that it is a Walthers model, is there any chance this car is based on or reasonably close to an actual prototype?"

Not really.  It's coincidentally close to some C&EI cars - do a search on "C&EI gons" in the group archives for the posts.


"And is the model original to Walthers or did another firm sell the original tooling to them?"

Not original to Walthers and not in the Train-Miniature line.  This 7-side post steel gon with dreadnaught ends has been offered by many manufacturers over the years, starting with Varney c. 1955, subsequently offered by Life-Like, with a close copy in AHM's line.  Cox tooled a copy of this car with slightly different side posts and ends, and this model ended up with Bachmann.  Not sure whose tooling ended up with Walthers.

As old tooling goes, this model isn't that outlandish.  The ends are a bit crude, but the model is certainly plausible.  It's too bad that the number of prototypes don't match the numbers of these models sold over the past 55+ years.


Ben Hom  


Benjamin Hom
 

Claus Schlund wrote:
"So that we are all talking about the same thing, a picture is worth at least a thousand words, right? We are talking about something like what is shown in the link below, correct?"
 
Correct, and the photo tells me what I need to know regarding the lineage of this tooling - it's ex-AHM.  The underframe is the one-piece 40 ft underframe used on everything from PS-1 boxcars to vinegar and helium tank cars.


Ben Hom


kevinhlafferty
 

The underframe/floor tooling is almost definitely the old Train Miniature tooling. The body I have no idea as the only gondola TM ever offered was a Hart ballast gondola. Perhaps Walthers tooled the body to fit the TM underframe. 

Kevin L


Benjamin Hom
 

Tony Thompson wrote:
"Not sure whose tooling this was originally, maybe LifeLike, but it ain’t an SP gondola. It’s an 8-panel car, numbered for SP Class G-50-2, but those were 14-panel cars, with two of the panels wider than the others."

I found these kitbashes by Jason Hill interesting, especially since I have a bunch of these things:


Ben Hom


Charlie Vlk
 

Without a side by side comparison of the myriad of such 40’ gondolas I would be hesitant to state that it is the old XXX tooling.

In fact, I wouldn’t necessarily credit (blame) Varney for starting this whole thing…they probably copied it from somebody else.

Being an N Scaler I had enough fun tracking the Roco/Rivarossi/Rapido/Mehano freight cars and the Chinese copies.  

Maybe the HO magazine that does such articles will do or already has done such a study.

Tracking down the genealogy of foobies is probably outside of the parameters of this group….

Charlie Vlk


Chuck Cover
 

Group,

 

I kit bashed this gondola from a flat Walthers gondola kit that I bought for a dollar at the Lancaster PRRT&HS and a set of Shapeways Van Dorn ends.  Photo of prototype is also attached.

 

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM


Schuyler Larrabee
 

Terrific model, Chuck.

 

Schuyler

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chuck Cover
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2021 8:21 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Walthers HO Scale Gondola

 

Group,

 

I kit bashed this gondola from a flat Walthers gondola kit that I bought for a dollar at the Lancaster PRRT&HS and a set of Shapeways Van Dorn ends.  Photo of prototype is also attached.

 

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM


Tony Thompson
 

Ben Hom wrote:

Tony Thompson wrote:
"Not sure whose tooling this was originally, maybe LifeLike, but it ain’t an SP gondola. It’s an 8-panel car, numbered for SP Class G-50-2, but those were 14-panel cars, with two of the panels wider than the others."

I found these kitbashes by Jason Hill interesting, especially since I have a bunch of these things:

Jason’s article is indeed interesting, and produced reasonable stand-ins for some of these cars. My own problem is that Classes G-50-3 and -6 were greatly reduced by 1940 and entirely gone soon after WW II, so that for transition-era modelers, these aren’t too useful (Jason addressed this by marking them as MOW cars). Class G-50-8 did survive well after the war, but was primarily used on T&NO, so of less interest. 

Tony Thompson



Bob Chapman
 

Chad Boas also offered similar (the same?) spiral dreadnaught ends at Chicagoland a few years back.
 
Regards,
Bob Chapman


Bob Chaparro
 

Here is the underside of the mystery gondola in case anyone can use this to identify the origin of the car.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA


Brian Carlson
 

Ben Hom already stated that it was AHM with a PS-1 underframe. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jul 2, 2021, at 9:44 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Here is the underside of the mystery gondola in case anyone can use this to identify the origin of the car.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA
<Mystery_Gondola.jpg>