Express Reefer brakes

Steve SANDIFER

This is the end of an ATSF express reefer. 1) what kind of brake is this? 2) does anyone make a model of it, plastic or brass?

O Fenton Wells

I believe Precision Scale make this brake device
Fenton

On Jun 29, 2021, at 9:17 PM, Steve SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

This is the end of an ATSF express reefer. 1) what kind of brake is this? 2) does anyone make a model of it, plastic or brass?
<4016 Exp reefer brake.jpg>

Dave Parker

That hand brake is very similar, if not quite identical, to what Miner called a "chain type" brake in their 1921 catalog.

I have never seen a Pre Scale part that's a match.  Athearn makes one, but it is not sold as a separate part.  It can be found on some of their Roundhouse milk cars.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 06:17 PM, Steve SANDIFER wrote:
This is the end of an ATSF express reefer. 1) what kind of brake is this?
It's a Miner product made for passenger cars. It was available  with both inside and outside operating handles if needed:

I'm not sure anyone makes thia exact part; when I did some etched brass Soo Line passenger cars twenty years ago I had to make the hand brake from a stack of etchings.

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

And a photo:

Dennis Storzek