Photo: Freight Cars In A Chicago Yard (1941)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Freight Cars In A Chicago Yard (1941)

Photo from the Library of Congress:

https://www.loc.gov/resource/fsa.8a32941/

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

The paired tracks and spacing between them leads me to conclude these tracks go to a team track area.

Just a guess. Alternative explanations?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Steve and Barb Hile

Apparently a 35 mm negative, from the perforations along the edge.  Still, downloading a bigger scan is helpful.  Lots of fun variety visible.  I like the Q car with the slogan on the car side instead of the door.  There is a Rock Island USRA rebuild in the long row of boxcars, too.

Steve Hile

Photo: Freight Cars In A Chicago Yard (1941)

Photo from the Library of Congress:

https://www.loc.gov/resource/fsa.8a32941/

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

The paired tracks and spacing between them leads me to conclude these tracks go to a team track area.

Just a guess. Alternative explanations?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Seth Lakin

Bob, this photo is shot at Illinois Central/New York Central’s South Water street terminal on Chicago. Yes those curving tracks were team tracks. The Chicago River is just off frame to the right, while Lake Michigan is a couple hundred feet behind the photographer. Today, most of this area is under street level, with skyscrapers and the north end of Grant Park built over this area.

Seth Lakin
Michigan City, IN