Does anyone recognize the herald on the boxcars?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

The image linked below was shot in San Francisco. This means it could be SP trackage (likely) or ATSF trackage (less likely) or State Belt RR (likely). Does anyone recognize the herald on the boxcars?

Metadata can be found at the link below

Claus Schlund

Eric Hansmann

Aren’t those the early WP Feather River Route emblems?

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jul 2, 2021, at 5:09 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

The image linked below was shot in San Francisco. This means it could be SP trackage (likely) or ATSF trackage (less likely) or State Belt RR (likely). Does anyone recognize the herald on the boxcars?

Metadata can be found at the link below

Claus Schlund

Eric,

Absolutely WP. These cars were WP's signature boxcars. They were built by Mt. Vernon in two batches as series 16001-16800 in 1917 and 16801-18300 in 1918. Also built in 1917 were matching ventilators 30001-30200. As built, all three series had Queenan or Murphy roofs and wooden ends with vertical braces. After WP joined PFE, the ventilators were superfluous and around 1929 were rebuilt with innie Murphy or Dreadnaught steel ends, and in most cases Murphy XLA Murphy Pivoted Flexible Roofs, renumbered 18301-18500. The rebuilding continued with upgrading the boxcars as well into 1931 or 1932. After 1931 the cars received the iconic WP herald on the doors. Eventually the three series were compressed into one as 16001-18500.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 6:33 PM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:
Aren’t those the early WP Feather River Route emblems?

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jul 2, 2021, at 5:09 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

The image linked below was shot in San Francisco. This means it could be SP trackage (likely) or ATSF trackage (less likely) or State Belt RR (likely). Does anyone recognize the herald on the boxcars?

Metadata can be found at the link below

Claus Schlund

Tony Thompson

Claus Schlund wrote:

The image linked below was shot in San Francisco. This means it could be SP trackage (likely) or ATSF trackage (less likely) or State Belt RR (likely). Does anyone recognize the herald on the boxcars?

      Not the State Belt this far down. I would say most likely SP.

Tony Thompson

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Thanks Garth, Eric, and everyone else,

This makes total sense - I had forgotten that WP had track within the city of San Francisco along with the other roads I mentioned. I even remember finding a diamond where the SP and WP crossed each other (the trackage around and including the diamond was abandoned but still in place in 1985 when I arrived in San Francisco, it is long gone now)

Claus Schlund

[...]

Brian Stokes

Not sure about the ID of the cars, but this is SP trackage (I believe), located now where the Rte 80/Eisenhower Hwy climbs up to the Bay Bridge. See attached screenshot from GoogleEarth, which has a 1938 Air Photo superimposed. You can clearly see the tracks crossing Brannan between 8th and 9th to what looks like a freight house area.

--
Brian Stokes
North Point Street in Proto:48

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the great image - this helps clarify things a lot!

I will note the diamond (actually, two diamonds), just above the word "Somisspo" on your image. I remember seeing this diamond. By the time I saw it, elevated freeways were built over it, but the diamond was still there at ground level in the late 1980s.

I disagree with you regarding the track ownership - on Brian's image the tracks on Division St going left-right  were SP, but the tracks "crossing Brannan between 8th and 9th to what looks like a freight house area" were WP trackage. The WP continued down to to the diagonal lower right of the image for a few blocks, then entered a tunnel under Potrero Hill to emerge on the Dogpatch side of San Francisco - at least that was how it had been explained to me by 'old hand' railfans while I was living in San Francisco. I was able to visit and find the tunnel entry site - the tunnel had collapsed many years earlier.

The above link specifically mentions that the WP "had a tunnel Potereo Hill and a frieght to truck transfer building at 7th and Townsend"[sic]. We can see this building on Brian's image - not the 7th St side, but we see the 8th street rail leads and the building is above Townsend St. This building is accessed via a second diamond across the SP trackage

Claus Schlund

Not sure about the ID of the cars, but this is SP trackage (I believe), located now where the Rte 80/Eisenhower Hwy climbs up to the Bay Bridge. See attached screenshot from GoogleEarth, which has a 1938 Air Photo superimposed. You can clearly see the tracks crossing Brannan between 8th and 9th to what looks like a freight house area.

--
Brian Stokes
North Point Street in Proto:48

John Barry

That is WP's San Francisco yard & team tracks.  See the attached Google Earth image.  Green track = WP, red = SP, yellow = joint ATSF/SP.Inline image

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA