ATSF Class Bx-12 raised Roof Rebuilds [was Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Loading Pulpwood Into A Boxcar (Circa 1940)]

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor asked:
"When were ATSF Bx-12 box cars first rebuilt with raised roofs?"

Quick answer - 1940s.

Ben Hom

Bob Chaparro

The car height was extended with a new steel panel roof and upper side and end panels during a minor rebuilding program in 1941-1944.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

ottokroutil

Are there any plans or diagrams of the Bx-11, -12, and -13 classes, with or without the raised roofs, available anywhere? There are nice photos in the Society’s Box Car book, but no plans.
Thank you for any assistance.

Randy Hammill

To build on that, I wrote a summary of the cars here:

https://www.prototypejunction.com/p/models.html?m=1

1941-1943 for the shorter extension, 1943-4 for the taller.

Yes, we still want to produce them, but they probably won’t be our first project released. Still working on what we can do…

Randy
--

Randy Hammill
Prototype Junction

Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com

Randy Hammill

Yes, I’m 99% sure it was published in a Car Builders’ Cyclopedia. I’ll try to find it tomorrow, for some reason I seem to have not scanned it.

Randy

--

Randy Hammill
Prototype Junction
http://prototypejunction.com

Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com

Randy Hammill

Nope, I was wrong. The Bx-3 drawings are in the 1931 CBC with a photo, and there are side and end photos of a Bx-12. But no drawings.

I was correct that we have a drawing for the Bx-12, but unfortunately it’s not one I can publish, at least not right now. I’ll see if I can get permission.

Randy