CNJ ice car

Tim O'Connor

From today's Washington Post - a photo of ice cars used to transport block ice from New Jersey
to New York City (In an article about climate change - New Jersey no longer gets cold enough to
harvest the ice from the lake). My hometown of Sterling MA also used to have an ice harvest from
our local ponds, using the B&M line (now a rail trail).

Sterling, Massachusetts

ROGER HINMAN

These are from a 250 lot built by Standard Steel at their Middletown facility in 1911. The cars in the photo look relatively new

Roger Hinman

On Jul 13, 2021, at 7:59 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

From today's Washington Post - a photo of ice cars used to transport block ice from New Jersey
to New York City (In an article about climate change - New Jersey no longer gets cold enough to
harvest the ice from the lake). My hometown of Sterling MA also used to have an ice harvest from
our local ponds, using the B&M line (now a rail trail).

Sterling, Massachusetts

Attachments: