From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 7:41 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] Walthers Proto PRR X29b

We’ve been discussing these and the other PRR new releases on the PRR groups.Io page.
Consensus is be skeptical until you see a model.

Also, the Pennsy merchandise service cars did Not run in dedicated trains like this so it’s a weird marketing strategy.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 15, 2021, at 8:26 AM, Brian LaManna <brianlamanna@...> wrote:

List,

Walthers announced an X29b in their Proto line but no model pictures have been included.  They’re currently only offered for preorder in large sets.

https://www.walthers.com/prr-merchandise-service-train-x29b-n6b-prr-30907-30912-30918-30933-30935-30949-30956-30968-30977-30986-309

Brian LaManna/Moncton, NB

Benjamin Hom

Bruce Smith wrote:
"I will point out that the latest posting from Walthers says "New tooling" for the X29B, whatever that means."

Craig Miller on the PRR list pointed out that the "new tooling" likely pertains to the passenger cars for the General.

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

And it could very well mean "the old tooling was so worn that we just HAD to recut it." Doesn't mean it was "new AND IMPROVED tooling."

And in sets of a dozen at a time??? Seriously? That's nuts.

Schuyler

"I will point out that the latest posting from Walthers says "New tooling" for the X29B, whatever that means."

Craig Miller on the PRR list pointed out that the "new tooling" likely pertains to the passenger cars for the General.

Ben Hom

Brian Carlson

C’mon Schuyler it not like Walthers would put the scheme on a totally wrong car…..oh wait. :)

On Jul 15, 2021, at 12:58 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

And it could very well mean "the old tooling was so worn that we just HAD to recut it."  Doesn't mean it was "new AND IMPROVED tooling."

And in sets of a dozen at a time???  Seriously?  That's nuts.

Schuyler

"I will point out that the latest posting from Walthers says "New tooling" for the X29B, whatever that means."

Craig Miller on the PRR list pointed out that the "new tooling" likely pertains to the passenger cars for the General.

Ben Hom

Randy Hammill

Yeah, this is their reasoning:

These moved on dedicated freight trains with expedited schedules, covering the 900 miles between New York and Chicago in as little as 32 hours.

And the description:

With all-new tooling to capture the look of the prototypes, the WalthersProto X29b features the correct larger body, 7' Youngstown doors, a diagonal panel roof and 4/3/1 Dreadnaught ends, and come finished in the early silver scheme with the circle Keystone.

Although I’m not a Pennsy expert, I haven’t heard of such trains. I’ll take the word of those of you more informed. I also have no need for a caboose, of course.

I’d happy to go in on a set with one or several others, and take my chances on one or two cars’ worth. I suspect that since they are only being sold in a set, the resale value individually would cover costs if I/we decided they weren’t up to my/our standards. I do hope the roof is separate, I’d rather do the earlier rectangular panel roof since that will cover a greater period of my modeling era.

 Randy

Randy Hammill
Prototype Junction
http://prototypejunction.com

Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com

robert netzlof <rtnetzlof@...>

Walthers has a history of pulling "facts" out of thin air. Years ago they claimed the Berwind-White Coal Co. was so named for their low smoke "white" coal when in fact Berwind and White were the two guys who started the corporation. That irked me then, this irks me now.

--
Bob Netzlof a/k/a Sweet Old Bob

Jeffrey Gray

Windber, Pa. (Cambria County near Johnstown), was a company coal patch town. Windber is BERWIND flipped. In the 1990’s I was involved in a construction project in Windber and was fascinated that the Berwind-White Coal Company still had leased coal reserve holdings in that area in that era. FYI stuff!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10