1st with K4 decals

Clark Propst

Just applied my first K4 decals on an Erie box car. My observation is they were thin, but the printing is not as crisp as others on the market. Better than F&C by a ways tho... 
I has a set for a Soo Line box car I hope to use in the not too distant future.
Clark Propst

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Clark and List members,

Thanks Clark for the report - I have some K4 decals, but have not put them to use yet.

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 11:31 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] 1st with K4 decals

Just applied my first K4 decals on an Erie box car. My observation is they were thin, but the printing is not as crisp as others on the market. Better than F&C by a ways tho... 
Clark Propst

O Fenton Wells

I use them as they have a great variety. They are also great to do business with.   But I agree with Clark, they are good but not as crisp as Speedwitch, now NSC decals.  Here is the 
CN&L car with K4 decals
Fenton

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 11:39 AM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi Clark and List members,

Thanks Clark for the report - I have some K4 decals, but have not put them to use yet.

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 11:31 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] 1st with K4 decals

Clark Propst

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Robert Allan

I've had pretty good experience with K4 decals. Nice variety of Eastern RR's, plus a good price point as delivery is included.

I would agree that the Speedwitch now NSC are best in class. Also good experience with Westerfield, Mt Vernon Car Works and Smokebox Graphics.

I have a set of Black Cat decals for a CNR project but cannot comment on quality as I haven't used them yet.

Tichy's have been troublesome for me. I don't even start without a coat of Microscale decal film. Their inability to conform to irregular surfaces requires a lot of patience and Microsol. Since they have a nice variety of roadnames, it's a shame.

Microscale has been hit and miss for me. Seems like they can get old and begin deteriorating.

Bob Allan
Omaha

Bob Chapman

I agree that they are sometimes not as sharp, but on a weathered model I think they may look even a bit better than the hi-res ones.

Variety and thickness are plusses -- great to have K4 as an option.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Craig Wilson

Another advantage to K4 decals is that the same set is usually offered in multiple scales.  I have made use of this in obtaining heralds in smaller sizes that I've need for specific projects.  Case in point:
FM53.AA914.tractorload.AA912.jpg
For these HO scale DT&I flatcars, I needed a very small version of the compass herald complete with the "Connections" slogan.  K4 makes a set for DT&I gondolas with coil steel hoods in them.  This set has two different sizes of this herald (one size for the side of the gon, the other for the coil hoods).  I ordered the N scale version of this set and got the small heralds that you can see on these models.

Craig Wilson

Tim O'Connor

Nice load !! Whose tractors are those?

Tim O'Connor

On 7/18/2021 12:28 AM, Craig Wilson wrote:

Another advantage to K4 decals is that the same set is usually offered in multiple scales.  I have made use of this in obtaining heralds in smaller sizes that I've need for specific projects.  Case in point:

For these HO scale DT&I flatcars, I needed a very small version of the compass herald complete with the "Connections" slogan.  K4 makes a set for DT&I gondolas with coil steel hoods in them.  This set has two different sizes of this herald (one size for the side of the gon, the other for the coil hoods).  I ordered the N scale version of this set and got the small heralds that you can see on these models.

Craig Wilson

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

O Fenton Wells

Craig, that is a great point as I am doing the ARA 1923 boxcars(x29) and wanted the smaller CNJ logo.  K4 was very helpful getting me the right scale for the correct logo.
Fenton

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 12:28 AM Craig Wilson <agecompanyphotog@...> wrote:
FM53.AA914.tractorload.AA912.jpg

Craig Wilson

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Craig Wilson

Tractors made by Wiklng.  Years ago Walthers put them in a sale flier at a small discount so I ordered enough to do the flatcar load.  Took almost a year for them to show up.  They are Fergusons which are nearly dead ringers for the Ford tractors in the photo that Bob Schleicher used in just about every "wish list" article in RailModel Journal magazine.

The Wiking tractors had the exhaust pipe oriented vertically where on the Fords it ran horizonally along the frame.  I moved the pipes (which were delicate and easily broken) and painted the tractors red and gray like the Fords I had seen.

Craig Wilson

Tim O'Connor

Thanks! I had thought they might be resin (like Roger Chrysler's Canadian "
Cockshutt" tractors)
or even 3D printed.

Tim O'Connor

On 7/18/2021 1:33 PM, Craig Wilson wrote:

Tractors made by Wiklng.  Years ago Walthers put them in a sale flier at a small discount so I ordered enough to do the flatcar load.  Took almost a year for them to show up.  They are Fergusons which are nearly dead ringers for the Ford tractors in the photo that Bob Schleicher used in just about every "wish list" article in RailModel Journal magazine.

The Wiking tractors had the exhaust pipe oriented vertically where on the Fords it ran horizonally along the frame.  I moved the pipes (which were delicate and easily broken) and painted the tractors red and gray like the Fords I had seen.

Craig Wilson

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts