ORER lookup help

Jeffrey Gray <bigsix@...>

Hello All, I am doing research on Swift Mechanical Reefers. These cars were in the SRLX 25000 (or 01) thru 25049 (or 50) and there were perhaps 50 cars. If you have an ORER between circa 1955 and 1970 in your library and can take a moment to look up and see what you find it is very appreciated. Car count, and any ancillary notes. A picture of the page would be great! Thank you.

-Jeff

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Richard Townsend

I have the 7/56, 1/58, and 1/59 ORERs and do not find SRLX 25000 series in any of them.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Steve and Barb Hile

The SRLX cars are listed in the GATX area of the ORER.

In 1966 I see

With these note a few pages later

There are a couple of these cars at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 2:06 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] ORER lookup help

I have the 7/56, 1/58, and 1/59 ORERs and do not find SRLX 25000 series in any of them.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Thank you Steve, this is a big help. Yes, Illini  has 3 cars with numbers <25050 and United in NJ also has one 25048. So, every piece on the puzzle helps. The photos I have found are Silver paint scheme. These cars are from about 1954. Does anyone know when the Swift Red scheme became Silver?  And/or were these cars always silver scheme? Again, thanks to everyone.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/23/21 3:16 PM (GMT-05:00)

In 1966 I see

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via groups.io

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Richard Townsend

I believe the 1954 built dates come from the cars these cars were converted from. Those cars, from the 15000 series, were built in 1954. I believe the lengthening by splicing in a center section, and the mechanization, occurred in 1959.

I have never seen a photo of the 25000 cars in anything but silver paint. This tends to support the later built/conversion date. The fact that they are not in the ORER by 1/59 also supports this.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, Jul 23, 2021 12:25 pm

Thank you Steve, this is a big help. Yes, Illini  has 3 cars with numbers <25050 and United in NJ also has one 25048. So, every piece on the puzzle helps. The photos I have found are Silver paint scheme. These cars are from about 1954. Does anyone know when the Swift Red scheme became Silver?  And/or were these cars always silver scheme? Again, thanks to everyone.

In 1966 I see

Steve Hile

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Richard, WOW! Yes, I conjured that these cars were converted from post war (maybe 1945 or ’46 built), but your information leads to 1954 built  40’ steel Ice Bunker cars (GATX). I have seen the date of 1954, elsewhere,  and was thinking that,that may have been the approximate time conversion, but now you have provided a “smoking gun” to 1959. And, yes, they were cut in-two and stretched and the original swing doors replaced, spliced side panel L-R of the door with a wider plug door, but the remaining “split ends” have the horizontal panel seams! The roof and underframe are spliced and the Ice Hatches sealed.  I believe that the cars at Illinois may have arrived in about 1971. The Mad River & NKP in Bellevue, OH has a car. But, it was acquired in 1980, is painted Yellow with Black ends and had a URTX reporting mark and number (a later retirement?). A real guess as to the original 250xx that this car carried.  Again to ALL, many great thanks and appreciations!

• Jeff Gray

Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 3:51 PM

I believe the 1954 built dates come from the cars these cars were converted from. Those cars, from the 15000 series, were built in 1954. I believe the lengthening by splicing in a center section, and the mechanization, occurred in 1959.

I have never seen a photo of the 25000 cars in anything but silver paint. This tends to support the later built/conversion date. The fact that they are not in the ORER by 1/59 also supports this.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

In 1966 I see

Steve Hile

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Steve and Barb Hile

A question of clarification:

Swift had (from GAT) a small number of 40’ steel reefers (1949, I think) and a much larger group of 36 steel reefers (1954).

As the most modern of the Swift fleet, I would assume it less likely that either of these were rebuilding candidates.

I would speculate that the rebuilds came from elsewhere in the GAT fleet.  I wonder where?

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Gray
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 3:26 PM

Richard, WOW! Yes, I conjured that these cars were converted from post war (maybe 1945 or ’46 built), but your information leads to 1954 built  40’ steel Ice Bunker cars (GATX). I have seen the date of 1954, elsewhere,  and was thinking that,that may have been the approximate time conversion, but now you have provided a “smoking gun” to 1959. And, yes, they were cut in-two and stretched and the original swing doors replaced, spliced side panel L-R of the door with a wider plug door, but the remaining “split ends” have the horizontal panel seams! The roof and underframe are spliced and the Ice Hatches sealed.  I believe that the cars at Illinois may have arrived in about 1971. The Mad River & NKP in Bellevue, OH has a car. But, it was acquired in 1980, is painted Yellow with Black ends and had a URTX reporting mark and number (a later retirement?). A real guess as to the original 250xx that this car carried.  Again to ALL, many great thanks and appreciations!

-          Jeff Gray

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

In 1966 I see

Steve Hile

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Richard Townsend

Steve, in order to help my detecting here, how many cars are shown in the 15000 series in the 1966 ORER?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Sent: Fri, Jul 23, 2021 2:44 pm

Swift had (from GAT) a small number of 40’ steel reefers (1949, I think) and a much larger group of 36 steel reefers (1954).

As the most modern of the Swift fleet, I would assume it less likely that either of these were rebuilding candidates.

I would speculate that the rebuilds came from elsewhere in the GAT fleet.  I wonder where?

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Gray

-          Jeff Gray

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

In 1966 I see

Steve Hile

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Tim O'Connor

They are rebuilds, probably of the 36 foot steel cars built in the 1950's.

Tim O'Connor

On 7/23/2021 2:55 PM, Jeffrey Gray wrote:

Hello All, I am doing research on Swift Mechanical Reefers. These cars were in the SRLX 25000 (or 01) thru 25049 (or 50) and there were perhaps 50 cars. If you have an ORER between circa 1955 and 1970 in your library and can take a moment to look up and see what you find it is very appreciated. Car count, and any ancillary notes. A picture of the page would be great! Thank you.

-Jeff

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

By 1966 the General American reefer fleet is really dwindling.  This is the second of two pages and mostly SRLX.

Looks like 614 out of 800 or 810 remain.  So, it could support converting of some to the mechanical refrigeration. 

I do not have a sense of when this would have been done and I don’t have a copy of any ORER between 1954 and 1966.

I hope this helps and will be interested in the results of your detective work.

Regards,

Steve Hile

Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2021 1:24 AM

Steve, in order to help my detecting here, how many cars are shown in the 15000 series in the 1966 ORER?

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Sent: Fri, Jul 23, 2021 2:44 pm

Steve Hile

-          Jeff Gray

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

In 1966 I see

Steve Hile

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Tim O'Connor

In July 1972

SRLX   1000-15799     17 cars 36 foot RAM brine tank refrigerators
SRLX 15800-24999       6 cars 36 foot RSM ice reefers
SRLX 25000-24099     39 cars 56 foot RPM mechanical reefers (rebuilt ice reefers)

The 15000 series ice reefers - Has anyone ever produced an HO scale model for these cars?

Tim O'Connor

On 7/24/2021 10:49 AM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

By 1966 the General American reefer fleet is really dwindling.  This is the second of two pages and mostly SRLX.

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Another thank you for another tidbit of information. Has anyone ever seen a photo of a SRLX 25xxx Reefer in service? Started as maybe 50 cars and 39 listed as of '72. 

Date: 7/25/21 7:42 AM (GMT-05:00)

In July 1972

SRLX 25000-24099     39 cars 56 foot RPM mechanical reefers (rebuilt ice reefers)

The 15000 series ice reefers - Has anyone ever produced an HO scale model for these cars?

Tim O'Connor

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Attachments:

Richard Townsend

Thanks for this information. It pretty clearly indicates the decline in numbers of these cars. While it might be asking for a lot, I would really like to see the SRLX 15000, 15800, and 25000 series cars from the 1959 and 1960 editions of the ORER. I have the 1/59 edition, so I'm one-eighth of the way there.

I do not know of any HO models of the 15000 series cars. It is possible to kitbash one from the Walthers meat reefer kit. The hard part is the doors with two latch bars and unusual hinges. I have not solved the hinge problem myself, but Stan Rydarowicz did for some of his products. I don't know how he did it.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Sent: Sun, Jul 25, 2021 4:42 am

In July 1972

Tim O'Connor

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

I believe that the SRLX 15000-15799 series cars are on Frank’s radar at Resin Car Works.  Those are brine tank cars with tabbed side sills.  The 15800-15999 were regular ice reefers with solid side sills.

Steve Hile

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2021 4:02 PM

Thanks for this information. It pretty clearly indicates the decline in numbers of these cars. While it might be asking for a lot, I would really like to see the SRLX 15000, 15800, and 25000 series cars from the 1959 and 1960 editions of the ORER. I have the 1/59 edition, so I'm one-eighth of the way there.

I do not know of any HO models of the 15000 series cars. It is possible to kitbash one from the Walthers meat reefer kit. The hard part is the doors with two latch bars and unusual hinges. I have not solved the hinge problem myself, but Stan Rydarowicz did for some of his products. I don't know how he did it.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Sent: Sun, Jul 25, 2021 4:42 am

In July 1972

Tim O'Connor

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts