ORER lookup help

Jeffrey Gray <bigsix@...>

Hello All, I am doing research on Swift Mechanical Reefers. These cars were in the SRLX 25000 (or 01) thru 25049 (or 50) and there were perhaps 50 cars. If you have an ORER between circa 1955 and 1970 in your library and can take a moment to look up and see what you find it is very appreciated. Car count, and any ancillary notes. A picture of the page would be great! Thank you.

-Jeff

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Richard Townsend

I have the 7/56, 1/58, and 1/59 ORERs and do not find SRLX 25000 series in any of them.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Steve and Barb Hile

The SRLX cars are listed in the GATX area of the ORER.

In 1966 I see

With these note a few pages later

There are a couple of these cars at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Steve Hile

I have the 7/56, 1/58, and 1/59 ORERs and do not find SRLX 25000 series in any of them.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Jeffrey Gray <bigsix@...>

Thank you Steve, this is a big help. Yes, Illini  has 3 cars with numbers <25050 and United in NJ also has one 25048. So, every piece on the puzzle helps. The photos I have found are Silver paint scheme. These cars are from about 1954. Does anyone know when the Swift Red scheme became Silver?  And/or were these cars always silver scheme? Again, thanks to everyone.

I have the 7/56, 1/58, and 1/59 ORERs and do not find SRLX 25000 series in any of them.
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Jeffrey Gray <bigsix@...>

Richard, WOW! Yes, I conjured that these cars were converted from post war (maybe 1945 or ’46 built), but your information leads to 1954 built  40’ steel Ice Bunker cars (GATX). I have seen the date of 1954, elsewhere,  and was thinking that,that may have been the approximate time conversion, but now you have provided a “smoking gun” to 1959. And, yes, they were cut in-two and stretched and the original swing doors replaced, spliced side panel L-R of the door with a wider plug door, but the remaining “split ends” have the horizontal panel seams! The roof and underframe are spliced and the Ice Hatches sealed.  I believe that the cars at Illinois may have arrived in about 1971. The Mad River & NKP in Bellevue, OH has a car. But, it was acquired in 1980, is painted Yellow with Black ends and had a URTX reporting mark and number (a later retirement?). A real guess as to the original 250xx that this car carried.  Again to ALL, many great thanks and appreciations!

  • Jeff Gray

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Thank you Steve, this is a big help. Yes, Illini  has 3 cars with numbers <25050 and United in NJ also has one 25048. So, every piece on the puzzle helps. The photos I have found are Silver paint scheme. These cars are from about 1954. Does anyone know when the Swift Red scheme became Silver?  And/or were these cars always silver scheme? Again, thanks to everyone.

I have the 7/56, 1/58, and 1/59 ORERs and do not find SRLX 25000 series in any of them.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Richard Townsend

Steve, in order to help my detecting here, how many cars are shown in the 15000 series in the 1966 ORER?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

Tim O'Connor

They are rebuilds, probably of the 36 foot steel cars built in the 1950's.

Tim O'Connor

On 7/23/2021 2:55 PM, Jeffrey Gray wrote:

Hello All, I am doing research on Swift Mechanical Reefers. These cars were in the SRLX 25000 (or 01) thru 25049 (or 50) and there were perhaps 50 cars. If you have an ORER between circa 1955 and 1970 in your library and can take a moment to look up and see what you find it is very appreciated. Car count, and any ancillary notes. A picture of the page would be great! Thank you.

-Jeff

Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

By 1966 the General American reefer fleet is really dwindling.  This is the second of two pages and mostly SRLX.

Looks like 614 out of 800 or 810 remain.  So, it could support converting of some to the mechanical refrigeration.

I do not have a sense of when this would have been done and I don’t have a copy of any ORER between 1954 and 1966.

I hope this helps and will be interested in the results of your detective work.

Regards,

Steve Hile

From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: 7/25/21 7:42 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

In July 1972

SRLX   1000-15799     17 cars 36 foot RAM brine tank refrigerators
SRLX 15800-24999       6 cars 36 foot RSM ice reefers
SRLX 25000-24099     39 cars 56 foot RPM mechanical reefers (rebuilt ice reefers)

The 15000 series ice reefers - Has anyone ever produced an HO scale model for these cars?

Tim O'Connor

On 7/24/2021 10:49 AM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

By 1966 the General American reefer fleet is really dwindling.  This is the second of two pages and mostly SRLX.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Attachments:

Richard Townsend

Thanks for this information. It pretty clearly indicates the decline in numbers of these cars. While it might be asking for a lot, I would really like to see the SRLX 15000, 15800, and 25000 series cars from the 1959 and 1960 editions of the ORER. I have the 1/59 edition, so I'm one-eighth of the way there.

I do not know of any HO models of the 15000 series cars. It is possible to kitbash one from the Walthers meat reefer kit. The hard part is the doors with two latch bars and unusual hinges. I have not solved the hinge problem myself, but Stan Rydarowicz did for some of his products. I don't know how he did it.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

SRLX   1000-15799     17 cars 36 foot RAM brine tank refrigerators
SRLX 15800-24999       6 cars 36 foot RSM ice reefers
SRLX 25000-24099     39 cars 56 foot RPM mechanical reefers (rebuilt ice reefers)

The 15000 series ice reefers - Has anyone ever produced an HO scale model for these cars?

Tim O'Connor

On 7/24/2021 10:49 AM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:
By 1966 the General American reefer fleet is really dwindling.  This is the second of two pages and mostly SRLX.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

I believe that the SRLX 15000-15799 series cars are on Frank’s radar at Resin Car Works.  Those are brine tank cars with tabbed side sills.  The 15800-15999 were regular ice reefers with solid side sills.

Steve Hile