37 Mod w/square corners


Clark Propst
 

Maybe you were able to pick up a Sunshine mini-kit for the IC version? Or maybe you were lucky enough to get the fine RCW kit? I’ve had both, did an IC car with the Martin’s, a DSSA with Frank’s. Now I’m doing a Soo Line version using Chad Boas ends. Five bucks ain’t bad! Add in some decals and a few extra parts and your in business.
 
I’ve attached a photo of the model before I primed it. Additional parts include A-Line sill steps and a bit of styrene for a trust plate on the body. On the ends there’s some Tichy straight grabs, a retainer valve from the parts bin w/a piece of thin wire for an air line, and a Tangent Klasing hand brake (gearbox and wheel sold separately).
The model has been primed with Tamiya G. Next I’ll paint the body and sides of the ends with a Tru-color BCR. Lastly, I’ll masked the end sides and airbrush on some Tru-color black...maybe some on the underframe too? Then K4 decals, Dullcote and weathering. Give me another day of two  ;  )) It’s amazing the flaws you see when viewing the photo you don’t see with your eye. If it didn’t have flaws it wouldn’t be mine ....

Clark Propst


O Fenton Wells
 

Looking good Clark, Nicely done


On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 12:51 PM Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
Maybe you were able to pick up a Sunshine mini-kit for the IC version? Or maybe you were lucky enough to get the fine RCW kit? I’ve had both, did an IC car with the Martin’s, a DSSA with Frank’s. Now I’m doing a Soo Line version using Chad Boas ends. Five bucks ain’t bad! Add in some decals and a few extra parts and your in business.
 
I’ve attached a photo of the model before I primed it. Additional parts include A-Line sill steps and a bit of styrene for a trust plate on the body. On the ends there’s some Tichy straight grabs, a retainer valve from the parts bin w/a piece of thin wire for an air line, and a Tangent Klasing hand brake (gearbox and wheel sold separately).
The model has been primed with Tamiya G. Next I’ll paint the body and sides of the ends with a Tru-color BCR. Lastly, I’ll masked the end sides and airbrush on some Tru-color black...maybe some on the underframe too? Then K4 decals, Dullcote and weathering. Give me another day of two  ;  )) It’s amazing the flaws you see when viewing the photo you don’t see with your eye. If it didn’t have flaws it wouldn’t be mine ....

Clark Propst



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...


Clark Propst
 

 
This morning I was finishing up the decals. The K4 Soo line set makes it easy. All related data is printed as it is on the car, so you just cut a section out and apply. I have a photo of 42800 the decal set has 42909 as a choice. When it dawned on me to check the number. The SOO box cars were even numbers! I was able to remove the 9s without too much trouble and replace with 4s...Whew...

I think the best piece in the K4 package was a printout of the decals, black ink on white paper. The decals are similar to Speedwitch in that the white lettering is every hard to see on the sheet. With the printout at least you know where to look on the decal sheet for what you want.

Clark Propst


Clark Propst
 

Finished the SOO car yesterday. I was thinking how nice it was the basement is fairly humid. The decals don’t distort because the setting solution dried funny, there’s still water in my ‘dipping dish’ the next day...But, after Dullcoting one side had some fogging from the humidity. A quick spray took care of that. Weathering was done with Pan Pastels and Primsacolor pencils. A friend just gave me bottles of Floquil grime and dust. I’m so accustom to not airbrushing weathering now I’m almost afraid to use them.
 
Took the photos with my new iPhone (no number? 1 camera) I see a little blur in the more angled shot, otherwise I’m very happy with the photos. Would like to thank Ken Soroos for his help with this project.
 
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa
 
 

 


Paul Doggett
 

Clark 

That’s a great looking build.

Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 


On 9 Aug 2021, at 15:11, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst@...> wrote:


Finished the SOO car yesterday. I was thinking how nice it was the basement is fairly humid. The decals don’t distort because the setting solution dried funny, there’s still water in my ‘dipping dish’ the next day...But, after Dullcoting one side had some fogging from the humidity. A quick spray took care of that. Weathering was done with Pan Pastels and Primsacolor pencils. A friend just gave me bottles of Floquil grime and dust. I’m so accustom to not airbrushing weathering now I’m almost afraid to use them.
 
Took the photos with my new iPhone (no number? 1 camera) I see a little blur in the more angled shot, otherwise I’m very happy with the photos. Would like to thank Ken Soroos for his help with this project.
 
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa
 
 

 

Attachments:


O Fenton Wells
 

Looks good Clark, I always liked the older Soo logo rather than the big SOO.


On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 10:55 AM Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Clark 

That’s a great looking build.

Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 


On 9 Aug 2021, at 15:11, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst=q.com@groups.io> wrote:


Finished the SOO car yesterday. I was thinking how nice it was the basement is fairly humid. The decals don’t distort because the setting solution dried funny, there’s still water in my ‘dipping dish’ the next day...But, after Dullcoting one side had some fogging from the humidity. A quick spray took care of that. Weathering was done with Pan Pastels and Primsacolor pencils. A friend just gave me bottles of Floquil grime and dust. I’m so accustom to not airbrushing weathering now I’m almost afraid to use them.
 
Took the photos with my new iPhone (no number? 1 camera) I see a little blur in the more angled shot, otherwise I’m very happy with the photos. Would like to thank Ken Soroos for his help with this project.
 
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa
 
 

 

Attachments:



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...