KEWANEE BOILER SHiPPING PLACARD

WILLIAM PARDIE

I am looking for a clear photo of the plackard that was placed on Kewanee boilers for shipment. I have a distant photo of the KEWANEE BOILER lettering, however there is some small script above and below this print.
I want to have some decals made up for my Multiscale boilers… I would be happy to share if this comes to fruition.

Thanks in advance:

Bill Pardie

Bob Chaparro

Edited

Does this help? The third word is "Corporation".
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

WILLIAM PARDIE

Thanks Bob:

I think that the wording is KEWANNE BOLER COMPANY  ?? ILLINOIS" and will proceed with this.

Bill

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/8/21 6:06 AM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] KEWANEE BOILER SHiPPING PLACARD

[Edited Message Follows]

Does this help? The third word is "Corporation".
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Jack Mullen

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 04:35 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE wrote:
I think that the wording is KEWANNE BOLER COMPANY  ?? ILLINOIS" and will proceed with this.
Circa 1928 Kewanee Boiler Company became Kewanee Boiler Corporation and retained that name until around the end of our Steam Era.
In that cool photo Bob posted, "CORPORATION" is a better fit to the length of the third word than "COMPANY". The fourth "??" word would be "KEWANEE". So,  "KEWANEE BOILER CORPORATION   KEWANEE ILLINOIS"

Jack Mullen

Charlie Vlk

All-

It is hard to tell the exact style of the hand-drawn lettering on the photo of the shipping label but here are some that you can print for your own use.

I looked at a number of letterheads, builder plates, etc. online and they all seem to vary somewhat.  I also did another version including the K in a circle logo as that seems to be another common variation for shipment signage.

If anyone comes up with  better photos I can take another crack at it.

I put them into a pdf file sized for O, S, HO, N and Z.  There are enough of them to print out (use the best setting your printer has so the fine borders and text will print; not all of them will come out on a inkjet; I don’t have a laser printer to see if it would do a better job).  Obviously you can use one from a another scale if you want to go larger or smaller.  

As these were posters printed on paper and likely applied with billboard (wallpaper) paste you don’t have to print on white decal stock unless you prefer it….any thin-ish printer paper will do fine.

If you are interested the Kewanee Historical Society https://kewanee-history.com/photo-galleries/gallery-4/  has some good photos on the Kewanee Boiler Company/Corporation.  It was interesting to learn that about half of the Russian Decapods built by Baldwin in 1943 used boilers supplied by Kewanee.  These are, of course, not the USRA embargoed WWI era locos that ended up on US railroads but look to be the same basic design.

I note that https://multiscale.digital/products/ho-scale-kewanee-type-c-industrial-fire-tube-boiler-flatcar-load has a nice Kewanee type C industrial fire tube boiler in resin which to my untrained eye looks very much like the one in the picture presumably being delivered to a school  for steam heating purposes.  It is available in O, HO, N and Z.  No connection but they look pretty nice!

Charlie Vlk

(this artwork has been prepared for non-commercial use by individual Model Railroaders only.  If anyone wants to use them for decals or inclusion in a product please contact me to work out reasonable terms!)

Michael Gross

I've been searching in vain for a placard online, but nothing turns up, so I've been dickering around with the image from the photograph, and came up with this miserable example.  I'm certain that someone with more talent (and available fonts) than Yours Truly might be able to come up with something better and, if I had to guess at the fine print on the sign, I would guess it was "Kewanee Boiler Corp.  Kewanee, Illinois."
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Michael Gross

Sorry.  That last line should read "KEWANEE BOILER CORPORATION   KEWANEE, ILLINOIS" with the word "corporation" spelled in its entirety, and the font in all capital letters.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

hubert mask

Afternoon Michael.  Send me information off line maskisland@... and we will take a look.

Hubert Mask

On Aug 10, 2021, at 3:56 PM, Michael Gross <ActorMichaelGross@...> wrote:

I've been searching in vain for a placard online, but nothing turns up, so I've been dickering around with the image from the photograph, and came up with this miserable example.  I'm certain that someone with more talent (and available fonts) than Yours Truly might be able to come up with something better and, if I had to guess at the fine print on the sign, I would guess it was "Kewanee Boiler Corp.  Kewanee, Illinois."
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA
<Kewanee Boiler.jpg>

Bruce Griffin

Charlie,

Thank you for sharing, a great gon or flat car load and easy to obtain and model with signage. Much appreciated. 

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Charlie Vlk

Bruce-
You are very welcome!
Just a small repayment for all the great knowledge sharing that I have benefitted from over the years!
Charlie Vlk

On Aug 10, 2021, at 9:14 PM, Bruce Griffin <bdg1210@...> wrote:

Charlie,

Thank you for sharing, a great gon or flat car load and easy to obtain and model with signage. Much appreciated. 

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Seth Lakin

With my Jerry Hamsmith CB&Q FM-11 flat car kit ready to hit the paint shop, a pair of Multiscale Digital Kewanee Boilers on the way, Charlie’s placard PDF, in hand, a question. 

What was the background color for the placards?

Thanks
Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN

Tim

To the gentleman that started this thread. I just visited the Kewanee Historical Society and I took some pictures of their builder plates and other items. Please contact me off list or anyone if your interested in these pictures. 

Tim Alund 

On Aug 10, 2021, at 2:56 PM, Michael Gross <ActorMichaelGross@...> wrote:

--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA
<Kewanee Boiler.jpg>

Nelson Moyer

Since several of us have purchased the RCW Kewanee boiler flat car load, we would all appreciate it if you would upload the photos to a folder in the photo section of the group.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2021 3:37 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

To the gentleman that started this thread. I just visited the Kewanee Historical Society and I took some pictures of their builder plates and other items. Please contact me off list or anyone if your interested in these pictures. 

Tim Alund 

--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

<Kewanee Boiler.jpg>

Tim

I made a folder. Unfortunately I didn’t have a ton of time in there to really look through all the information they have. Nice thing is I have family that just moved out to Kawanee so if anyone wants more information I can go and visit. 

Tim Alund 

On Aug 21, 2021, at 3:43 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Since several of us have purchased the RCW Kewanee boiler flat car load, we would all appreciate it if you would upload the photos to a folder in the photo section of the group.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim via groups.io

Tim Alund 

--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

<Kewanee Boiler.jpg>

Charlie Vlk

Nelson and Michael-

I went online to the Kewanee Historical Society site (Google that) and, using various images, came up with the lettering for one version of the shipping placard and posted a pdf to this group as attachments.   Should be in the groups.io folder in the thread.  

For your convenience I’ve pasted the pdf and original post that I made.  The link to the Kewanee HS is also below.

Charlie Vlk

All-

It is hard to tell the exact style of the hand-drawn lettering on the photo of the shipping label but here are some that you can print for your own use.

I looked at a number of letterheads, builder plates, etc. online and they all seem to vary somewhat.  I also did another version including the K in a circle logo as that seems to be another common variation for shipment signage.

I put them into a pdf file sized for O, S, HO, N and Z.  There are enough of them to print out (use the best setting your printer has so the fine borders and text will print; not all of them will come out on a inkjet; I don’t have a laser printer to see if it would do a better job).  Obviously you can use one from a another scale if you want to go larger or smaller.  

As these were posters printed on paper and likely applied with billboard (wallpaper) paste you don’t have to print on white decal stock unless you prefer it….any thin-ish printer paper will do fine.

If you are interested the Kewanee Historical Society https://kewanee-history.com/photo-galleries/gallery-4/  has some good photos on the Kewanee Boiler Company/Corporation.  It was interesting to learn that about half of the Russian Decapods built by Baldwin in 1943 used boilers supplied by Kewanee.  These are, of course, not the USRA embargoed WWI era locos that ended up on US railroads but look to be the same basic design.

I note that https://multiscale.digital/products/ho-scale-kewanee-type-c-industrial-fire-tube-boiler-flatcar-load has a nice Kewanee type C industrial fire tube boiler in resin which to my untrained eye looks very much like the one in the picture presumably being delivered to a school  for steam heating purposes.  It is available in O, HO, N and Z.  No connection but they look pretty nice!

Charlie Vlk

(this artwork has been prepared for non-commercial use by individual Model Railroaders only.  If anyone wants to use them for decals or inclusion in a product please contact me to work out reasonable terms!)

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2021 3:43 PM

Nelson Moyer

Tim Alund 

--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

<Kewanee Boiler.jpg>

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, Charlie. I’m guessing the extra lettering is for O, S, and HO, am I right?

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Vlk
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2021 6:03 PM

Nelson and Michael-

I went online to the Kewanee Historical Society site (Google that) and, using various images, came up with the lettering for one version of the shipping placard and posted a pdf to this group as attachments.   Should be in the groups.io folder in the thread.  

For your convenience I’ve pasted the pdf and original post that I made.  The link to the Kewanee HS is also below.

Charlie Vlk

All-

Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer

Nelson Moyer

Tim Alund 

--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

<Kewanee Boiler.jpg>

Charlie Vlk

Nelson-
If I’m not mistaken the Z  N  HO  S  O  on the artwork would be a clue.....IIRC I dis an extra size for each scale.  Pick one that works for your project....there were different versions over the years but without better photos.....
Charlie Vlk 

On Aug 21, 2021, at 7:28 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Thanks, Charlie. I’m guessing the extra lettering is for O, S, and HO, am I right?

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Vlk
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2021 6:03 PM

Nelson and Michael-

Charlie Vlk

All-

Charlie Vlk

Nelson Moyer

Tim Alund 

--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

<Kewanee Boiler.jpg>