Lackawanna questions

Clark Propst

Have just built the other Rensselear club kit I bought at the StL RPM, a DL&W DS steel end box car. The only info on the cars is a drawing showing number 45951.
Now the questions: What is the number series these cars are from? When the AB brakes were applied was a power hand brake added too? If so, what type? Around 1950 was any part of the car black? K4 sells a Lackawanna box car decal set. It contains a large LACKAWANNA. Did this cars get stenciled with this style?

Thanks again for any help,
Clark Propst

Benjamin Hom

Clark Propst asked:
"Have just built the other [Rensselaer] club kit I bought at the StL RPM, a DL&W DS steel end box car. The only info on the cars is a drawing showing number 45951.
Now the questions: What is the number series these cars are from? When the AB brakes were applied was a power hand brake added too? If so, what type? Around 1950 was any part of the car black? K4 sells a Lackawanna box car decal set. It contains a large LACKAWANNA. Did this cars get stenciled with this style?"

See Ted Culotta's Essential Freight Cars No. 12, ARA Double-Sheathed Box and Auto Cars, April 2005 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom

Eric Hansmann

Ben notes the correct RMC issue but it's Ted's Essential Freight Cars No. 21.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 08/10/2021 2:18 PM Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Clark Propst asked:
"Have just built the other [Rensselaer] club kit I bought at the StL RPM, a DL&W DS steel end box car. The only info on the cars is a drawing showing number 45951.
Now the questions: What is the number series these cars are from? When the AB brakes were applied was a power hand brake added too? If so, what type? Around 1950 was any part of the car black? K4 sells a Lackawanna box car decal set. It contains a large LACKAWANNA. Did this cars get stenciled with this style?"

See Ted Culotta's Essential Freight Cars No. 12, ARA Double-Sheathed Box and Auto Cars, April 2005 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom

Brian Carlson

I covered these in my Rust Belt Boxcars presentation
45000-45999.
Generally when the AB brakes were applied so were power handbrakes.
I think the ends were freight car color but I could be wrong.
No large Lackawanna, stacked Lackawanna with Phoebe Snow Slogan or simple Lackawanna

Brian Carlson

On Tuesday, August 10, 2021, 04:13:22 PM EDT, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst@...> wrote:

Have just built the other Rensselear club kit I bought at the StL RPM, a DL&W DS steel end box car. The only info on the cars is a drawing showing number 45951.
Now the questions: What is the number series these cars are from? When the AB brakes were applied was a power hand brake added too? If so, what type? Around 1950 was any part of the car black? K4 sells a Lackawanna box car decal set. It contains a large LACKAWANNA. Did this cars get stenciled with this style?

Thanks again for any help,
Clark Propst

Ray Carson

The DL&W boxcar is part of number series 45000-45999. The cars were built in 1925 with vertical brakes, Hutchins roof, and K brake. There is a photo of how they looked pre-WWII on the STMFC website (http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/dlw45715main.html).

After the war they were rebuilt with a panel roof and powered handbrakes with AB brake system. “The Route of the Phoebe Snow” motto was also added during the time to these cars. They lasted into the late 1950s.

Funaro & Camerlengo make a resin kit based on both original prewar and rebuilt postwar versions of this car.

Brian Carlson

forgot to add the postwar cars had murphy rooks to replace the originals
Brian
On Tuesday, August 10, 2021, 04:48:34 PM EDT, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

[...]

mel perry

the only place yo find this copy is epay or
rrtreasures, the current owners thrashed
everything that carstens produced
;-(
mel perry

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021, 1:43 PM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who responded. The Essentials article deals mostly with the 46000 series. Guess I jumped the gun by using the Hutchinson roof that came with the model...Now I may leave it with a K brake and brake staff...nah, I'll use the AB stuff provided and the Ajax power handbrake...
Clark Propst

G.J. Irwin

Mel Perry wrote: the only place yo find this copy is epay or rrtreasures, the current owners thrashed everything that carstens produced

Off topic, but this is not accurate.  Carstens did not have any archives available to be "thrashed."  I have this straight from the current editor of RMC,

Glad I didn't toss my back issues...

George Irwin
Rochester NY

Clark Propst

This morning I tried to remove the roof. I sawed along the ends and then ran my knife along one side getting nowhere  I had laid on quite a bit of ACC and it was doing it's job. So I tossed it in the ice cube tray in the freezer. After a couple hours I dropped it on the floor as I remember I was supposed to do? One of the bulkheads I put in fell out. Dropped it again and the other one fell out. Put it back in the freezer. Just now I dropped it on the floor a few times with nothing happening. Finally just pried on the ends with my thumbs and they came snapped off. Then bent the sides, they snapped off too. Now I can reassemble the kit using a rectangular panel roof this time...
Clark Propst

Todd Sullivan

Hi Clark,

Persistence pays off!  Sometimes we have to just take the bull by the horns (or the car by the sides or ends) and go for it.  Congrats on getting it apart with totally destroying it, and best wishes for an orderly and precise rebuild with the correct roof.

Todd Sullivan

Eric Hansmann

I usually put the model in the freezer overnight but I know that’s just crazy talk to you.

Rather than dropping the model, I twist the car body for  joints to crack.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Aug 11, 2021, at 5:06 PM, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst@...> wrote:

This morning I tried to remove the roof. I sawed along the ends and then ran my knife along one side getting nowhere  I had laid on quite a bit of ACC and it was doing it's job. So I tossed it in the ice cube tray in the freezer. After a couple hours I dropped it on the floor as I remember I was supposed to do? One of the bulkheads I put in fell out. Dropped it again and the other one fell out. Put it back in the freezer. Just now I dropped it on the floor a few times with nothing happening. Finally just pried on the ends with my thumbs and they came snapped off. Then bent the sides, they snapped off too. Now I can reassemble the kit using a rectangular panel roof this time...
Clark Propst

Douglas Harding

Clark is too impatient for an overnight freeze.

But good tip. Thanks.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

Scott H. Haycock

On 08/11/2021 5:15 PM Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Clark is too impatient for an overnight freeze.

Just build a couple of other kits in the meantime?

Scott Haycock

Clark Propst

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 03:23 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:
Rather than dropping the model, I twist the car body for  joints to crack.
Eric Hansmann
Ah, a full Nelson instead of a body slam  ;  ))
Clark

Clark Propst

Ok, here's the carbody as built and after rebuilding - literally! Had to cut down the width of the Red Caboose roof. I believe in one of the responses it was mentioned the cars received steel running boards with the new roof?
Time to drill a thousand holes in the thing and add six hundred grab irons....
Clark Propst

Eric Hansmann

I hope you have a motorized drill to make all the holes for 600 grab irons.

How are you only drilling 1000 holes for 600 grabs?

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Aug 12, 2021, at 1:15 PM, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst@...> wrote:

Ok, here's the carbody as built and after rebuilding - literally! Had to cut down the width of the Red Caboose roof. I believe in one of the responses it was mentioned the cars received steel running boards with the new roof?
Time to drill a thousand holes in the thing and add six hundred grab irons....
Clark Propst
<DL_W roof 1.jpg>
<DL_W roof 2.jpg>

Tom Madden

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 12:55 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:
I hope you have a motorized drill to make all the holes for 600 grab irons.

How are you only drilling 1000 holes for 600 grabs?
Clark uses "L" shaped drill bits so he can drill both grab iron mounting holes at the corners where the sides and ends meet at once.

Tom Madden

Jeff Helm

I like your car weights Clark, are those lead castings of whale teeth?
--
Cheers

Jeff Helm
The Olympic Peninsula Branch
https://olympicpeninsulabranch.blogspot.com/

If he dosn’t, I think I have parts for one more.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)