Lackawanna questions
From: Clark Propst
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 15:13:18 CDT
Have just built the other Rensselear club kit I bought at the StL RPM, a DL&W DS steel end box car. The only info on the cars is a drawing showing number 45951.
Now the questions: What is the number series these cars are from? When the AB brakes were applied was a power hand brake added too? If so, what type? Around 1950 was any part of the car black? K4 sells a Lackawanna box car decal set. It contains a large LACKAWANNA. Did this cars get stenciled with this style?

Thanks again for any help,
Clark Propst

Tim O'Connor

On 8/11/2021 1:45 AM, MDelvec952 via groups.io wrote:

Hi Clark,

The worst part of those kits are the decals, raised from an iffy photo from the Whittaker collection. The thin film is nice, but the artwork sucketh to the purist.

They were in the 45000-45999 series.  Most kept the original spartan lettering, but after April 1942 many got the Phoebe billboard and the AB brakes while being repainted.

in your era of 1950 some were still in service but falling quickly as steel cars were arriving in big numbers.

The attached photo has some motion blur, but shows the billboard lettering.  CDS and Prime Mover decals offers the best artwork for these, using vintage typefaces.

Would enjoy seeing a photo of the finished car.

            .....Mike Del Vecchio

4a.
Lackawanna questions
From: Clark Propst
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 15:13:18 CDT
Have just built the other Rensselear club kit I bought at the StL RPM, a DL&W DS steel end box car. The only info on the cars is a drawing showing number 45951.
Now the questions: What is the number series these cars are from? When the AB brakes were applied was a power hand brake added too? If so, what type? Around 1950 was any part of the car black? K4 sells a Lackawanna box car decal set. It contains a large LACKAWANNA. Did this cars get stenciled with this style?

Thanks again for any help,
Clark Propst

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Clark Propst

CDS and Prime Mover decals offers the best artwork for these, using vintage typefaces.
.....Mike Del Vecchio

Thanks Mike and Tim. Mike I went to the Prime Mover site, I didn't see any listings for any DLW box cars. Just cabooses and passenger cars. Was I looking in the wrong place?
Clark Propst

Scott

What an amazing color photo Tim!!

I have this same kit in the stash as well.  The photos will be very helpful.

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Tim O'Connor

Scott

That is one of the Gerstley duplicate slides -- photo location is very likely SP's Taylor Yard in Los Angeles!

Tim O'Connor

On 8/13/2021 7:48 PM, Scott wrote:
What an amazing color photo Tim!!

I have this same kit in the stash as well.  The photos will be very helpful.

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Sterling, Massachusetts

Clark Propst

Finished the DLW box car this morning. It's been washed and is drying on the patio table. Once painted they'll be a drumroll to see if the decals are still useable? I've attached three photos. Not as good as some can do, but the best I could do at the time. Something to keep in mind  ;  ))
Clark Propst

Paul Doggett

Clark

It’s looking good hopefully the decals are ok.
Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 15 Aug 2021, at 15:59, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst@...> wrote:

Finished the DLW box car this morning. It's been washed and is drying on the patio table. Once painted they'll be a drumroll to see if the decals are still useable? I've attached three photos. Not as good as some can do, but the best I could do at the time. Something to keep in mind  ;  ))
Clark Propst

Attachments:

O Fenton Wells

K4

image.png
image.png

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Clark Propst

The great thing about posting photos on the internet is you get extra eyes on the subject. Eagle eye Chuck Cover caught the fact that the brake cylinder was in the wrong side of the center sill. Thanks Chuck! With the help of acetone and a Tichy brake cylinder pad  I hope it's good this time?
Clark

Clark Propst

Thanks for showing the K4 decals Fenton. One set is too old and the other is too new....Missing the fat short Lackawanna  for above the slogan.
Clark

Chuck Cover

Looks great Clark as do all of your models.  I agree completely about photos.  I try to always take a photo of my models and more often than not, I see something to change, but for some reason those things don’t show up with just in-person viewing.

Take care.

Chuck

The great thing about posting photos on the internet is you get extra eyes on the subject. Eagle eye Chuck Cover caught the fact that the brake cylinder was in the wrong side of the center sill. Thanks Chuck! With the help of acetone and a Tichy brake cylinder pad  I hope it's good this time?
Clark

Clark Propst

Begins no one seems to offer decals like the ones in the kit (except of F&C) I decided to see if they were any good. They went on fine on one side. I lost the T and E in route on the second side. I dug to find a Champ ATSF slogan I could mangle the T on and use the E as is. After applying Solvoset I had to cut the decals on each board groove. The decals tore in doing so. This morning I decided to scrap them off and order a set from K4. The car is now repainted.
Clark Propst

Paul Doggett

Clark I guess I was more lucky with my F&C decals

Paul Doggett.     England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 17 Aug 2021, at 17:08, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst@...> wrote:

Begins no one seems to offer decals like the ones in the kit (except of F&C) I decided to see if they were any good. They went on fine on one side. I lost the T and E in route on the second side. I dug to find a Champ ATSF slogan I could mangle the T on and use the E as is. After applying Solvoset I had to cut the decals on each board groove. The decals tore in doing so. This morning I decided to scrap them off and order a set from K4. The car is now repainted.
Clark Propst

Attachments:

Chuck Cover

I always apply a coat of Microscale Decal Film to F&C decals with a brush.  I have had good luck with them after this preparation.  I also use it on older decal sets.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

_._,_._,_

bigfourroad

Glad it's coming together for you now. These DL&W billboard cars are a hit when seen in a train.
Chris R.

Clark Propst

Finished the DL&W car and two more on Saturday. The WofA, box car and a RI flat. Here's the finished flat too. I've put both box cars on eBay as I have enough for my layout. I'll operate with these while the auction runs. It's a good way to continue to build kits without accumulating too many  ;  ))
The Flat is a Chad Boas kit I bought from him at the St L RPM. Decals are from Mask Island. They're designed for a car rebuilt with bulkheads, just changed the numbers. Ended up using K4 decals on the DLW model. Turned out ok for all the missteps I made...The Sunshine model was just a fun build as usual. Only trick with it was doing the tu-tone paint without masking. All were weathered with Pan Pastels. Thanks for all the help with pertinent information. Thanks to Steve Hile for info on the flat car. You can find the models on eBay using this address...I hope? Clark Propst

https://www.ebay.com/usr/propsus-b2gc2hde

Brian Rochon

Clark,

The photo of the RI flat is amazing.  At first I thought it was the prototype.  Excellent photography & modelling.

Brian Rochon

Silver Spring, MD

[...]

Three great looking cars.
Paul Doggett    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿