Additional interesting loads from the EJ&E

Bruce Smith

Folks,

From the same collection as the photos Bob has posted

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-loads/content/co-loads-315/lightbox/

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-loads/content/co-loads-314/lightbox/

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-loads/content/co-loads-313/lightbox/

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-loads/content/co-loads-312/lightbox/

The load (which looks like a refinery cracking tower, or kiln of some sort) is carried on 4 flat cars. The wider end is on a Milwaukee, 4-truck flat car. Interestingly, just behind this is a 1942 built Milwaukee Road gun flat. There is another MILW gun flat at the other end.

Regards,

Bruce Smith
Auburn AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Bob Chaparro via groups.io" <chiefbobbb@...>
Date: Friday, August 13, 2021 at 12:08 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Unusual Load On HD Flat Cat

Photo: Unusual Load On HD Flat Cat

Photo from the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway Archive:

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-loads/content/co-loads-307/lightbox/

No caption to indicate what this load is. Anyone?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charles Happel

The second and third pictures appear to be taken at Roundout, IL, where the EJ&E interchanges with the Milwaukee Road.
Chuck Happel

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell

On Friday, August 13, 2021, 04:03:11 PM EDT, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

From the same collection as the photos Bob has posted

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Bob Chaparro via groups.io" <chiefbobbb@...>
Date: Friday, August 13, 2021 at 12:08 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Photo: Unusual Load On HD Flat Cat

Photo from the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway Archive:

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-loads/content/co-loads-307/lightbox/

No caption to indicate what this load is. Anyone?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Robert G P

Can anyone tell me why the MLW cars are referred to as gun flats? Thanks in advance!

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 5:29 PM Charles Happel via groups.io <cghappel2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The second and third pictures appear to be taken at Roundout, IL, where the EJ&E interchanges with the Milwaukee Road.
Chuck Happel

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell

On Friday, August 13, 2021, 04:03:11 PM EDT, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

From the same collection as the photos Bob has posted

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Bob Chaparro via groups.io" <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io>
Date: Friday, August 13, 2021 at 12:08 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Photo: Unusual Load On HD Flat Cat

Photo from the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway Archive:

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-loads/content/co-loads-307/lightbox/

No caption to indicate what this load is. Anyone?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

robert netzlof <rtnetzlof@...>

For same reason the PRR F22 and F23 were called gun flats (gun trucks in ancient usage).

See for example http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=F22.gif&sel=flat&sz=lg

Little short cars rated to carry heavy loads, 95 tons in the case of the PRR cars. Often operated in groups of 2 or more connected by bridge pieces to support really heavy loads such as naval and coast artillery gun barrels.

*From: *<main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Bob Chaparro via
groups.io" <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io>
*Date: *Friday, August 13, 2021 at 12:08 PM
*To: *"main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

*CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.*

--
Bob Netzlof a/k/a Sweet Old Bob

Bruce Smith

Robert,

I will add that the Milwaukee Road flats were built specifically for hauling large naval gun barrels. Immediately following their construction, they were leased to the Union Pacific and were placed in service hauling barrels from Pocatello to Bremerton.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

--
Bob Netzlof a/k/a Sweet Old Bob

Tim O'Connor

They were used in naval gun barrel service to Bremerton, Washington. The PRR also
had such flat cars. Barrels would be mounted on swivels to go around curves. AMB
makes HO scale laser cut parts to model the swivels.

Tim O'Connor

On 8/13/2021 7:02 PM, Robert G P wrote:
Can anyone tell me why the MLW cars are referred to as gun flats? Thanks in advance!

Sterling, Massachusetts

Todd Sullivan

Bruce,

That's really interesting.  Why Pocatello,ID?

Todd Sullivan.