Canisters In Gondolas

Bob Chaparro

Canisters In Gondolas

I understand that canisters were used for cement and possibly other powdered products.

Here is a photo (sorry, poor quality) of canisters in a gondola that indicate the contents are a petroleum product.

Does anyone know what petroleum products typically were shipped in canisters?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Brian Carlson

Those are air activated cement canisters. I can read anything that says petroleum.

Brian J. Carlson

On Aug 14, 2021, at 8:16 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Canisters In Gondolas

I understand that canisters were used for cement and possibly other powdered products.

Here is a photo (sorry, poor quality) of canisters in a gondola that indicate the contents are a petroleum product.

Does anyone know what petroleum products typically were shipped in canisters?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

<Container_Car_Sirman_Collection.jpg>

Brian Carlson

Here's a better view of the photo http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-501216.jpg on Terry Link's site. The stenciling on the canister's does indicate petroleum products. The ORER for the timeframe MIGHT tell you what they were modified for. Although I wouldn't be surprised is this mod was noted in Railway Age of the time.
Brian Carlson

On Saturday, August 14, 2021, 08:16:37 PM EDT, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Canisters In Gondolas

I understand that canisters were used for cement and possibly other powdered products.

Here is a photo (sorry, poor quality) of canisters in a gondola that indicate the contents are a petroleum product.

Does anyone know what petroleum products typically were shipped in canisters?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Douglas Harding

The containers read:

Petroleum Products

Flash Point above 80 F

Keep Lights and

Fires Away

Below on the card side it reads:

This car and containers

For handling

Petroleum Products

Must not be used

In any other service

The next panel over reads:

Car equipped to

Carry LCL

Containers

Must not be used

In any other service

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

Bruce Smith

Brian, Folks,

I cannot make out the reweigh date. It looks like it might be 12-37?  The car is listed in the 1943 ORER as a Contaitner car, without any special notes on the series.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

[...]

John Mateyko

Canisters in petroleum service could have carried grease, certain acids and wax.   John Mateyko

RICH CHAPIN

I can't say "typically" but during WW2 they were used to move kerosene. Early in the war when the u-boats were severely affecting coastal tanker traffic. Attached from Library of Congress. LV 27248 with canisters. Caption below

This is caption for LOC photo posted at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8b09942

"Formerly used to moved cement, this container car is the first of one hundred to go into service as a petroleum carrier. All of the hundred cars are expected to be moving kerosene from Destrehan, Louisiana, to Chelsea, Massachusetts, by mid-April, according to the Office of Defense Transportation"

Tim O'Connor

Yes -- 1937 was when it was rebuilt for cement service.

On 8/14/2021 9:51 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Brian, Folks,

I cannot make out the reweigh date. It looks like it might be 12-37?  The car is listed in the 1943 ORER as a Contaitner car, without any special notes on the series.

Regards,
Bruce Smith

Sterling, Massachusetts