Canisters In Gondolas

Bob Chaparro

Canisters In Gondolas

I understand that canisters were used for cement and possibly other powdered products.

Here is a photo (sorry, poor quality) of canisters in a gondola that indicate the contents are a petroleum product.

Does anyone know what petroleum products typically were shipped in canisters?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Brian Carlson

Those are air activated cement canisters. I can read anything that says petroleum. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Aug 14, 2021, at 8:16 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Canisters In Gondolas

I understand that canisters were used for cement and possibly other powdered products.

Here is a photo (sorry, poor quality) of canisters in a gondola that indicate the contents are a petroleum product.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

<Container_Car_Sirman_Collection.jpg>

Brian Carlson

Here's a better view of the photo http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-501216.jpg on Terry Link's site. The stenciling on the canister's does indicate petroleum products. The ORER for the timeframe MIGHT tell you what they were modified for. Although I wouldn't be surprised is this mod was noted in Railway Age of the time. 
Brian Carlson

On Saturday, August 14, 2021, 08:16:37 PM EDT, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Canisters In Gondolas

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Douglas Harding

The containers read:

Petroleum Products

Flash Point above 80 F

Keep Lights and

Fires Away

Below on the card side it reads:

This car and containers

For handling

Petroleum Products

Must not be used

In any other service

The next panel over reads:

Car equipped to

Carry LCL

Containers

Must not be used

In any other service

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Carlson via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2021 8:00 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Canisters In Gondolas

Here's a better view of the photo http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-501216.jpg on Terry Link's site. The stenciling on the canister's does indicate petroleum products. The ORER for the timeframe MIGHT tell you what they were modified for. Although I wouldn't be surprised is this mod was noted in Railway Age of the time. 

Brian Carlson

On Saturday, August 14, 2021, 08:16:37 PM EDT, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Canisters In Gondolas

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Brian, Folks,

I cannot make out the reweigh date. It looks like it might be 12-37?  The car is listed in the 1943 ORER as a Contaitner car, without any special notes on the series.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2021 8:00 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] Canisters In Gondolas

CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.
Brian Carlson

Canisters In Gondolas

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

John Mateyko

Canisters in petroleum service could have carried grease, certain acids and wax.   John Mateyko

RICH CHAPIN

I can't say "typically" but during WW2 they were used to move kerosene. Early in the war when the u-boats were severely affecting coastal tanker traffic. Attached from Library of Congress. LV 27248 with canisters. Caption below

This is caption for LOC photo posted at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8b09942 

"Formerly used to moved cement, this container car is the first of one hundred to go into service as a petroleum carrier. All of the hundred cars are expected to be moving kerosene from Destrehan, Louisiana, to Chelsea, Massachusetts, by mid-April, according to the Office of Defense Transportation"

Tim O'Connor

Yes -- 1937 was when it was rebuilt for cement service.

On 8/14/2021 9:51 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Brian, Folks,

I cannot make out the reweigh date. It looks like it might be 12-37?  The car is listed in the 1943 ORER as a Contaitner car, without any special notes on the series.

Regards,
Bruce Smith

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts