Possible KCS box car

Clark Propst

I've learned my lesson on when to ask questions  ;  ))

I have an undec Branchline box car and a set of  S'n'T KCS decals, but no info on the KCS box cars. Is there a KCS car I can make with what I have?

Thanks for all replies,
Clark Propst

Tim O'Connor

LOL !!! Gosh, if only we knew what KIND of box car it was, and how large, and how many doors it has,
and of what kind of doors?

Tim O'Connor

On 8/16/2021 10:35 AM, Clark Propst via groups.io wrote:
I've learned my lesson on when to ask questions  ;  ))

I have an undec Branchline box car and a set of  S'n'T KCS decals, but no info on the KCS box cars. Is there a KCS car I can make with what I have?

Thanks for all replies,
Clark Propst

Sterling, Massachusetts

O Fenton Wells

Clark the SN'T decals were for the rebuilt boxcars

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

O Fenton Wells

Clark here are the instructions,
Fenton

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 11:14 AM O Fenton Wells via groups.io <srrfan1401=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I've built the S'n'T car at the time. I've built the Sunshine comb kit for the rebuilt car. I should have mentioned that along with that fact that my model is a 40' w/6' door. I have a variety of ends and roofs. Surely the KCS had post war 10'6 cars 40' box cars w/6' doors I can use at least some of the decals on???
Thanks to Tim, Fenton.
Clark

Benjamin Hom

Clark Propst asked:
"I have an undec Branchline box car and a set of S'n'T KCS decals, but no info on the KCS box cars. Is there a KCS car I can make with what I have?"

Fenton Wells wrote:
"Clark, the SN'T decals were for the rebuilt boxcars.  <<snip>>  Here are the instructions."

More information on the KCS rebuilds in the following sources:
"KCS Rebuilt Boxcars", Joe Pennington, Mainline Modeler, April 1992.
"KCS Post-War, Rebuilt 40-foot Boxcar: Part II", Mont Switzer, April 2009.

If you have a Branchline undec with 6 ft Youngstown doors and early R+3/4 improved Dreadnaught ends and an Accurail fishbelly underframe, that gives you the basic parts of the conversion.

Information on other KCS postwar AAR boxcars:

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Clark Propst asked:
"I've built the S'n'T car at the time. I've built the Sunshine comb kit for the rebuilt car. I should have mentioned that along with that fact that my model is a 40' w/6' door. I have a variety of ends and roofs. Surely the KCS had post war 10'6" [IH] 40' box cars w/6' doors I can use at least some of the decals on?"

Maybe.  Closest possibility is KCS 19000-19399, whose major difference is AC&F carbuilder ends.  See the linked spreadsheets in my previous e-mail for more details.

Ben Hom

Clark Propst

Thanks Ben, Ed's list for that series didn't include the ends, so thanks for that. Time to look for another RR for that car....
Clark

Tim O'Connor

On 8/16/2021 2:05 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Clark Propst asked:
"I've built the S'n'T car at the time. I've built the Sunshine comb kit for the rebuilt car. I should have mentioned that along with that fact that my model is a 40' w/6' door. I have a variety of ends and roofs. Surely the KCS had post war 10'6" [IH] 40' box cars w/6' doors I can use at least some of the decals on?"

Maybe.  Closest possibility is KCS 19000-19399, whose major difference is AC&F carbuilder ends.  See the linked spreadsheets in my previous e-mail for more details.

Ben Hom

Sterling, Massachusetts

mopacfirst

I have an original Sunshine kit, one of the U series, which came with a CB&T body.  I have a few Branchline undecs which I would use instead.  The kit is not where I am, so I can't look at it.  Anything I should look out for, since I'd be building this one soon?

Ron Merrick

Brian Carlson

Nope. It’s what I did 15 years ago. The Branchline kit is a better start than The original Accurail donor. Just got a cut out the floor of the branchline kit fit the Accurail floor in and once you get that done it’s basically a branchline kit build

Back middle next to the CNW reefer. Cocoa 2019

Brian J. Carlson