Photo: NKP Boxcar 15918 (1948)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: NKP Boxcar 15918 (1948)

Photo from the Boston City Archives:

https://cityofboston.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/io_37d51774-8dce-487e-ab96-ff5d376ef386/

Click and scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Per the January 1945 Equipment Register, 494 cars in series 15500-15999. Note says “Z-bar”.

Hutchins roof?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Ed Hawkins

On Aug 17, 2021, at 10:38 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: NKP Boxcar 15918 (1948)
Photo from the Boston City Archives:
Click and scroll on the photo to enlarge it.
Per the January 1945 Equipment Register, 494 cars in series 15500-15999. Note says “Z-bar”.
Hutchins roof?
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Bob,
The car NKP 15918 is described in my STMFC roster of 1937 AAR box cars, series NKP 15500-15999, built by GATC in 1937. The roof is Viking.

Curiously the overhead view shows NKP 15918 having what is likely an Apex Tri-lok running board. So the obvious question from this 1948 photo is - “Were Apex running boards used on NKP 15500-15999 when new, or were they installed prior to 10-6-1948 as replacements to original wood running boards?”

The previous series 15000-15499 also built by GATC a year earlier in Aug. to Oct. 1936 and having a Viking roof are documented by a GATC builder photo of NKP 15000 in the 1937 & 1940 editions of the Car Builders’ Cyclopedia as having a wood running board. Whereas I have not located a photo of a new car in series 15500-15999.

The NKP diagrams I have access to for both 15000-15499 & 15500-15999 are silent on the type of running boards, the roster info based on “best available information” could certainly have a faulty presumption on my part that both series of 500 cars built in GATC B.O. 2752 & 2779 had wood running boards.

Perhaps Ray Breyer knows if the 15500-15999 originally came with wood running boards or if they received Apex steel running boards when new. If the latter, it could be the earliest use of the Apex running board. My prior research as denoted in RP CYC Volume 16 led me to conclude Apex running boards first appeared in early 1938.

More searching located a June 1948 photo of NKP 15780 on page 31 of David Sweetland’s book New England’s Colorful Railroads Volume 1. It shows what also appears to be an Apex running board that’s unpainted other than some black car cement at the end extension. Whereas the 15918 photo shows a dark running board on an otherwise unpainted Viking roof except where the side sheets overlap.

Page 40 of the May 1993 Mainline Modeler has a March 1956 photo of NKP 15380, built 10-36, with what was definitely a replacement steel (likely Apex) running board, not painted except for black on the end extensions. I’m unable to confirm if the roof in this published Howard Ameling photo retained it’s original Viking roof. Later photos show that some NKP 15000-15999 cars received a replacement diagonal panel roof.

Thank you, Bob, for locating this intriguing photo & bringing it to the attention of the STMFC discussion group!
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

irv_thomae

   If I'm not mistaken, that's a Viking roof, which is consistent with Ed Hawkins' comprehensive tabulation of "1937 A.A.R. 40'-6" Box Cars, Built 1936-1947" , with some updates by Ted Culotta.
   According to that table, NKP 15500-15999, built in Sept 1937 by GATC, had square (Z-bar) corners and Viking roofs.  That was the second of two 500-car NKP orders that year, and their hand brakes were Ajax (the first 200), Equipco (the next 200), or Champion (last 100) - so this car has a Champion brake wheel.  But NKP 15918  differs in at least two interesting ways from other photos of the entire 15000-15999 series that I've seen.   Unless it's a wierd artifact of the photo digitizing process, the running board appears to be metal, rather than wood as originally built.  Also, the "Nickel Plate Road" herald uses the so-called "swing-tail R" instead of the earlier block-letter 'R'.    But the car is heavily weathered, so those changes must have been made quite a long time before that photo was taken.
  I'll confess that I really like the "swing-tail R", and have been looking for an excuse to add one to my boxcar fleet even  I model the 1940 - fall 1941 time period.   Can anyone who knows more about NKP rolling stock than I (an easy qualification to meet!) cast more light on this?
Thanks,
Irv

irv_thomae

Umm, my face is (slightly) red: If I had reloaded this thread before posting my comments, I would have seen Ed Hawkins' much more complete post, and might not have misquoted the build date wrong for the 15000-15499 series.   I learned a lot more from Ed's discussion of the roofwalk puzzle(s).    But I'm really curious about the lettering, so I too thank Bob for drawing attention to this photo, and look forward to learning more about NKP's 15500-15499 series.
Irv Thomae

Gerald Henriksen

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:38:05 -0700, you wrote:

Photo: NKP Boxcar 15918 (1948)

Photo from the Boston City Archives:

https://cityofboston.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/io_37d51774-8dce-487e-ab96-ff5d376ef386/
Also available on the Boston City Archives Flickr collection,
downloadable in jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbostonarchives/6082762940

Gerald Henriksen

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 17:50:01 -0400, you wrote:

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:38:05 -0700, you wrote:

Photo: NKP Boxcar 15918 (1948)

Photo from the Boston City Archives:

https://cityofboston.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/io_37d51774-8dce-487e-ab96-ff5d376ef386/
Also available on the Boston City Archives Flickr collection,
downloadable in jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbostonarchives/6082762940
And the same train from a different direction

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbostonarchives/6082763024/in/photostream/

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Gerald, good link !

Check out the strange "collar" around the brake rod fulcrum and the Universal brake wheel
on this refrigerator car. The collar is news to me - I never saw one before.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbostonarchives/6082762538/in/album-72157623424559329/

Tim O'Connor

On 8/17/2021 5:50 PM, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:38:05 -0700, you wrote:

Photo: NKP Boxcar 15918 (1948)

Photo from the Boston City Archives:

https://cityofboston.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/io_37d51774-8dce-487e-ab96-ff5d376ef386/

Also available on the Boston City Archives Flickr collection,
downloadable in jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbostonarchives/6082762940

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bob Chaparro

mel perry

wow, whose 44 tonner, hate flckr,
;-)
mel perry

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021, 4:44 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Another view:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbostonarchives/6082763024/in/album-72157623424559329/
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Tom Madden

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 04:46 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Thanks Gerald, good link !

Check out the strange "collar" around the brake rod fulcrum and the Universal brake wheel
on this refrigerator car. The collar is news to me - I never saw one before.
Looks like a chain guide. No lever/fulcrum, chain connected directly to the brake rod???

Tom Madden

Kenneth Montero

Mel,

The name on the locomotive cab is "Union Freight".

From Wikipedia: "The Union Freight Railroad was a freight-only railroad connecting the railroads coming into the north and south sides of downtown Boston, Massachusetts. Almost its entire length was along Atlantic Avenue and Commercial Street. "

That same article has a roster that shows Union Freight owning 5 GE 44 ton locomotives (nos. 1-5) acquired in 1953.

The locomotive in the "another view" picture has a "2" or "3" under the railroad name. I think it is "3".

Ken Montero

On 08/17/2021 7:50 PM mel perry <clipper841@...> wrote:

wow, whose 44 tonner, hate flckr,
;-)
mel perry

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021, 4:44 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Another view:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbostonarchives/6082763024/in/album-72157623424559329/
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

Someone (John Pryor) had a series of articles in MR on modeling the Union Connecting many years ago.

Scott

Someone (John Pryor) had a series of articles in MR on modeling the Union Connecting many years ago.
That series of articles got me really interested rail/marine/Urban operations. The book is still available from Kalmbach.

Scott H. Haycock

I believe it was John Pryke. The series was collected in a  book was called "Building City Scenery" by Kalmbach.

Scott Haycock
ent

On 08/17/2021 9:51 PM Scott <repairman87@...> wrote:

Someone (John Pryor) had a series of articles in MR on modeling the Union Connecting many years ago.
That series of articles got me really interested rail/marine/Urban operations. The book is still available from Kalmbach.

Richard Townsend

Not John Pryor, John Pryor (I think).

On Aug 17, 2021, at 8:12 PM, Richard Townsend via groups.io <richtownsend=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

Someone (John Pryor) had a series of articles in MR on modeling the Union Connecting many years ago.

Richard Townsend

Jeez. Pryke.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

> Someone (John Pryor) had a series of articles in MR on modeling the Union Connecting many years ago.

Tim O'Connor

Could there be a pulley wheel hidden under there?

Tim