UTLX, Pennzoil questions

lrkdbn

I have a couple of tank car Q's I'd like to toss out...

1)UTLX had at least a few ACF high walkway tank cars,as shown by this photo from the Barringer collection.My question is this,did these cars survive in this form into the 1920's?I would like to do my F&C car in the black with dulux/yellow lettering of the 1915-20's period.
2)Does anyone have any info on Pennzoil tank cars? In July of 1928 they listed 219 cars with P.A.X. reporting marks. By May 1932 these were no longer listed. I have an article from Model Railroader about building one of these cars,but it lacks prototype data.It does mention a Pennzoil tank (not a complete car) used on the Milwaukee Road in work train service,apparently a wreck salvage.Do any picture of this exist?

Thank you for any help you can give,
Larry King

Steve and Barb Hile

Larry,

There is not a heck of a lot to go on for your questions.  Believe me, I have looked!

UTLX got 125 eight and ten thousand gallon high walkway cars from ACF circa 1910 and there is every likelihood that they ran into the 1920’s, at least.  However, UTLX did a major renumbering effort in the mid teens and these cars lost their numbers as, by the 1919 tariff, those 137xx numbers are something else, smaller.  ORER info for UTLX in that era is scant, too.  If I were doing the car for 1920, I would probably use a 7xxx series number.

UTLX purchased the PAX cars in 1929, but I could locate nothing further about them as UTLX cars.

I would advise you to buy a UTLX book, but Speedwitch still appears out of stock.  There is not much more in the book that what I have share here, however, for your specific questions.

Steve Hile