[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Facilities and Tank Cars?

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Jim;

There most certainly was, in many cases.

For my area of interest, certain industries, utilities and RRs got their tank cars from specific suppliers.

There were Stauffer tanks going to Stauffer, USS and GATX tanks going to USSteel’s Clairton Works, and strings of UTLX tanks going to PRR’s engine facilities when UTL had the lease.

That is why I have a very specific tank car fleet😊

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Betz
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 10:09 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Facilities and Tank Cars?

Hi,
  I don't remember ever hearing anyone comment on this topic.

Were/are there any 'links' between a facility receiving a tank car and a specific
tank car line(s)?  For example, if you have a local distributor of Standard Oil
products was it more likely that the tank cars supplying that facility would be
from certain tank car lines than others?  And if the facility was Texaco would
it have gotten a different mix? 
  I know that certain reefers were much more likely to show up on certain RRs
than others (such as, for example, PFE on the SP).  I'm wondering if there
was (is?) the same kind of thing for tank cars ... ???
  STMFC era, of course.
                                                                                                           - Jim 

ed_mines

Elden, all the tank cars you mentioned could be dedicated to one particular load.

Just think of how difficult it is to clean out even the smallest tank car. What would you do with the cleaning solution?

Cars containing petroleum based materials might not be so segregated. During WWII cars used to ship crude oil were refilled with refinery products after a cursory cleaning with steam.

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Ed;

Yes, they were!

I know what was going into/coming out of every tank car on my modeled portion of the PRR.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of ed_mines via groups.io
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 12:19 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Facilities and Tank Cars?

Elden, all the tank cars you mentioned could be dedicated to one particular load.

Just think of how difficult it is to clean out even the smallest tank car. What would you do with the cleaning solution?

Cars containing petroleum based materials might not be so segregated. During WWII cars used to ship crude oil were refilled with refinery products after a cursory cleaning with steam.

ed_mines

Tanks would have different materials of construction and linings, depending on the material being shipped.
Tank cars containing gases would have special fittings so gas couldn't couldn't inadvertently be transferred into the wrong vessel (for example you don't want to put chlorine where oxygen is stored).
I have another tank car question. Where I lived petroleum products were moved from refineries to oil tank farms by boat (I worked right next door to an oil terminal on the Hudson).
Am I correct that only a few of the most popular products like gasoline and home heating oil were stored in those oil tank farms and less common products like aviation gasoline were still shipped by tank car?
Although not so common now would those tank farms be supplied by rail cars during the winter if the waterway froze, meaning there would be more tank cars in use during the winter?
Coal was stored in huge silos (maybe not the right word). In the winter time would wet coal be added to those silos? (It could possibly freeze).
Were tank farms and coal storage silos allowed to empty during the winter?
It's very hilly where I live now. There's a water tower at the top of the hill. I assume water is pumped into it round the clock and the tower empties during the day. Sometimes the water company sends a tank truck to the tower and I'm guessing the water level in the tower is below a certain level.