From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of nyc3001 .
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 4:40 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Cudahy 1501-1600

Does anyone know whether or not the CRLX 1501-1600 series (which was leased from GA) is identical to the Rapido reefer? I have a Rapido Cudahy reefer, but it is incorrectly lettered as a car in the 5501-6250 series. I'm wondering if the reefer can be saved by simply renumbering it.

Thanks,
Phil

ROGER HINMAN

It is definitey not identical;  it uses a different underframe, the door sits higher off the side sill and it has a five rung ladder. (I’m sure there may be other differences).  I have seen a 1938 builder’s photo of CRLX1527, but I’m the unproven opinion this series may be a rebuild of a former CRLX car that GA bought, did a major rebuild and leased back to them.

Roger Hinman

On Aug 22, 2021, at 5:39 AM, nyc3001 . <nyc3001@...> wrote:

Does anyone know whether or not the CRLX 1501-1600 series (which was leased from GA) is identical to the Rapido reefer? I have a Rapido Cudahy reefer, but it is incorrectly lettered as a car in the 5501-6250 series. I'm wondering if the reefer can be saved by simply renumbering it.

Thanks,
Phil

nyc3001 .

Doug,

The model is based on one design of GA reefer, which was first installed in 1937. The CRLX 5501-6250 series, which is one scheme that the Rapido reefer represents, is in actuality a completely different design as Roger says.

If it is true that the 1501-series reefers were rebuilt from older CRLX cars, then the Rapido car is a foobie for CRLX in the absence of further information.

One of the issues that I've seen with the Rapido reefers' reception is that some high-profile modelers have asserted their accuracy for schemes like Swift, WCLX, ARLX, and CRLX when in reality those are foobie schemes. Reefers with those reporting marks were of different designs (especially WCLX), but I have seen very few modelers acknowledge this.

The Rapido reefers fill a need but are not sufficient to model a typical block of meat reefers representing a variety of meat packers.

-Phil

Frank Hodina

Cars in the 5501-6250 series were built by ACF. Cudahy did have some cars from GA which were in the 1501-1600 series.

Frank
Resin Car Works

ROGER HINMAN

On Aug 23, 2021, at 10:39 AM, Frank Hodina <FHodina@...> wrote:

Cars in the 5501-6250 series were built by ACF. Cudahy did have some cars from GA which were in the 1501-1600 series.

Frank
Resin Car Works

Attachments:

ROGER HINMAN

Actually cars in that series were built by ACF, GA and Cudahy

GA built 100 cars in 1935

Roger Hinman

On Aug 23, 2021, at 10:39 AM, Frank Hodina <FHodina@...> wrote:

Cars in the 5501-6250 series were built by ACF. Cudahy did have some cars from GA which were in the 1501-1600 series.

Frank
Resin Car Works

Attachments:

Steve and Barb Hile

As nearly as I can tell the CRLX series 5501 – 5600 was built by GATC in 1928, this photo shows fresh paint in 1935 along with experimental rubber springs in the trucks.

Steve Hile

Actually cars in that series were built by ACF, GA and Cudahy

GA built 100 cars in 1935

Roger Hinman

On Aug 23, 2021, at 10:39 AM, Frank Hodina <FHodina@...> wrote:

Cars in the 5501-6250 series were built by ACF. Cudahy did have some cars from GA which were in the 1501-1600 series.

Frank
Resin Car Works

Attachments:

ROGER HINMAN

your eyes are better than mine, I just enlarged that build date and it is 1928; a quick check in the earlier ORER confirms

Roger Hinman

On Aug 24, 2021, at 5:07 PM, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

s nearly as I can tell the CRLX series 5501 – 5600 was built by GATC in 1928, this photo shows fresh paint in 1935 along with experimental rubber springs in the trucks.

Steve Hile

Steve and Barb Hile

The same mistake is in the Billboard Reefer book, but the picture is clearer.

Steve Hile

your eyes are better than mine, I just enlarged that build date and it is 1928; a quick check in the earlier ORER confirms

Roger Hinman

On Aug 24, 2021, at 5:07 PM, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

s nearly as I can tell the CRLX series 5501 – 5600 was built by GATC in 1928, this photo shows fresh paint in 1935 along with experimental rubber springs in the trucks.

Steve Hile

O Fenton Wells

Does anyone make decals for these cars??
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Douglas Harding

Clover House offers dry transfers in O scale https://cloverhouse.com/Cart/product_info.php?products_id=11981  They had them in HO, but are no longer listed on their website. You might contact Clover House or search eBay.

Don Valentine of NERS commissioned a special run of HO Atlas meat reefers with this scheme back in 2014. I doubt he has any left.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

Eric Hansmann

Attached is a slightly different photo of CRLX 5557. My file name indicates it is a Mather car. Note the clear stencil near the right side ladder indicating Return to E. Chicago, Ind.

The car wears a 2-35 E. CH. weigh stencil and a Built 9-28 stencil. I believe this came to me from Ray Breyer.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 08/24/2021 3:07 PM Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

As nearly as I can tell the CRLX series 5501 – 5600 was built by GATC in 1928, this photo shows fresh paint in 1935 along with experimental rubber springs in the trucks.

Steve Hile

Actually cars in that series were built by ACF, GA and Cudahy

GA built 100 cars in 1935

Roger Hinman

On Aug 23, 2021, at 10:39 AM, Frank Hodina <FHodina@...> wrote:

Cars in the 5501-6250 series were built by ACF. Cudahy did have some cars from GA which were in the 1501-1600 series.

Frank
Resin Car Works

Attachments:

Douglas Harding

Not a Mather car, though Cudahy did use Mather reefers. All photos I have of Cudahy Mather reefers have the Mather name visible somewhere. And all have six hinges, not four.

The photo of 5557 is from the Fairmont Motor Co archives, demonstrating their experiment with a Goodyear rubber spring block. I scanned the high rez image at the Marin Co Historical Society a number of years ago for Richard Hendrickson for the Billboard Reefer book and have shared that photo many times. At 1200 dpi the repack lettering reads “REPACKED C.R.L.X. E.CH.IND. 2.6.35”

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org