Current form of Future Floor Wax Suitable for Decal Work

Charlie Vlk

All-

What is the current name/bottling of Future Floor Wax that is suitable for putting down a gloss surface for decals?

Thanks,
Charlie Vlk

Bryian Sones

Pledge (Floor Care Finish)
Clear bottle with Blue and White label.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Monday, August 23, 2021, 04:12:42 PM PDT, Charlie Vlk <cvlk@...> wrote:

All-

What is the current name/bottling of Future Floor Wax that is suitable for putting down a gloss surface for decals?

Thanks,
Charlie Vlk

Bryian Sones

Charlie,

Future was rebranded Pledge quite a while ago.
It is still the same and works the same.

On Monday, August 23, 2021, 04:18:14 PM PDT, Bryian Sones via groups.io <bryian.sones@...> wrote:

Pledge (Floor Care Finish)
Clear bottle with Blue and White label.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Monday, August 23, 2021, 04:12:42 PM PDT, Charlie Vlk <cvlk@...> wrote:

All-

What is the current name/bottling of Future Floor Wax that is suitable for putting down a gloss surface for decals?

Thanks,
Charlie Vlk

Bryian Sones

Charlie,

Here is the one that I use. It is the base formula like the Future was.
There are other variations of the brand that may work too.
I would probably stay away from any that are cloudy though they may dry clear and work just fine.
I'd test them first.

On Monday, August 23, 2021, 04:24:40 PM PDT, Bryian Sones via groups.io <bryian.sones@...> wrote:

Charlie,

Future was rebranded Pledge quite a while ago.
It is still the same and works the same.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Monday, August 23, 2021, 04:18:14 PM PDT, Bryian Sones via groups.io <bryian.sones@...> wrote:

Pledge (Floor Care Finish)
Clear bottle with Blue and White label.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Monday, August 23, 2021, 04:12:42 PM PDT, Charlie Vlk <cvlk@...> wrote:

All-

What is the current name/bottling of Future Floor Wax that is suitable for putting down a gloss surface for decals?

Thanks,
Charlie Vlk

Eric Hansmann

I think the name has changed again. It’s now Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss.

I don’t see another floor gloss product on that site.

I’m still using a bottle of Future that I bought a decade ago. And yes, that sounds really odd when you speak it out loud.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Aug 23, 2021, at 6:48 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io <bryian.sones@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian Shumaker

Eric, that would be “Back to the Future”. 1, 2 or 3, take your pick.
Brian

Bryian Sones

Yup and It appears they got rid of the other Variations of the floor finish too.
I know some stores still have the one I mentioned. I just saw it at my local Walmart on Saturday and was thinking about getting another for safe keeping. Also still available on Amazon  on the link I posted.

On Monday, August 23, 2021, 05:20:33 PM PDT, Brian Shumaker <brian.shumaker@...> wrote:

Eric, that would be “Back to the Future”. 1, 2 or 3, take your pick.
Brian

Allen Cain

Can this be applied with a pump bottle spray or must it be applied with an airbrush to get a good effect?

--
Allen Cain
Chem-Dry of Brentwood

--
Allen Cain
Modeling the Southern in 1955 in HO Scale

Ken Adams

I just used the same Pledge product Eric refers to above. https://www.pledge.com/en-us/products/pledge-floor-gloss

Works fine.  I brush it on only the areas to be decaled.  After the Micro Sol/Micro Set are dry, I brush a second coat over the decal and let that dry before spraying  Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear.  Works for me. I just finished a MW car yesterday in this manner and today it looks like the RR last painted it several years ago.
--
Ken Adams

Charlie Vlk

Thanks all….will get a bottle of Pledge floor gloss!!

Charlie Vlk

Works fine.  I brush it on only the areas to be decaled.  After the Micro Sol/Micro Set are dry, I brush a second coat over the decal and let that dry before spraying  Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear.  Works for me. I just finished a MW car yesterday in this manner and today it looks like the RR last painted it several years ago.
--
Ken Adams

Douglas Harding

Allen it is 100% pure acrylic and is self-leveling. It dries quickly. I use a brush and apply to the areas receiving decals. It can also be airbrushed. I’m not sure a pump bottle spray would be acceptable, but would certainly be worth a try on a scrap body to see what coverage occurs.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Can this be applied with a pump bottle spray or must it be applied with an airbrush to get a good effect?

--

Allen Cain

Chem-Dry of Brentwood

Chem-Dry of Franklin

Mr. B's Chem-Dry

Bluff City Chem-Dry

Chem-Dry of De Soto County

Divisions of New Horizons Enterprises Inc

--
Allen Cain
Modeling the Southern in 1955 in HO Scale

Bryian Sones

Hi Allen,

I'm not sure what project you might be wanting to use a spray bottle for but a spray bottle would give you less control of the application.
It is just going to go everywhere and spray heavy. Also, it may splatter and run. It is self leveling but you want to apply thin even coats to get the best results. You can use a brush or airbrush. I prefer an Airbrush but sometimes I use a brush for small, quick decal applications.

If you want to try the spray bottle, I would recommend you test it on something you don't care about first. The test piece should have the same surface as your project. This way you will know exactly what the results are going to be.

On Tuesday, August 24, 2021, 10:45:11 AM PDT, Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

[...]

gtws00

I have had my bottle of Pledge now for about 5 to 6 years. I had read on some Military Forums that it does age and turn yellow. So after reading that there is another renaming I thought I would take a look at the new Pledge. I found mine at a grocery chain here in the Midwest called Meijer and it cost just about $6.50. I compared the color of the new bottle to the old and see that my old bottle is indeed turning a bit yellow. I usually pour a bit out into smaller bottles for use and did not notice the color change as much. I am not sure it makes a big difference but will start using the fresh bottle for new projects. Pictures below show the new full bottle on the left and and the old partial bottle on the right. New name is Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss. Walmart also carries this for around 6.50 but was out of stock.
I spray mine by airbrush with a .3mm needle at about 15 psi.
George Toman

mel perry

interesting, is the color change due to
light exposure? or chemical deterioration?
mel perry

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021, 2:21 PM gtws00 via groups.io <gtws00=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Attachments:

gtws00

I stored my Future in a cabinet in my workshop and it is always around 70 degrees or so in there. It must be a chemical reaction.

George Toman

Andy Carlson

This is a resend, as I got a bounce-back note from the 1st sending.
-Andy
I am reminded something from my early days of being online. One of the many controversies were anti-Future trolls who had their trump cards in dismissing Future by claiming it turns yellow. I remember a few equaled the looks to urine.

Future when dry has a clear coat. Even a "yellowed" bottle's clear finish will still be clear. Maybe a comparison to window glass plate can shed a little light about tinting colors. An otherwise super clear plate glass, when viewed in its intended use, looks almost opaque when viewed from its edge. There is quite a bit of coloration in even "clear" glass. When viewed through the edges one could probably concur that the glass is certainly not clear at all if no view through the flat viewing portion of the plate were made.

The thickness of a Future clear coat is in the thousants, sometimes even less than a 0.001". At this thickness (or lack of) the amounts of colorant becomes insignificant. I once made a test of an older bottle of Future which had quite a yellowish glow and made a thin coating on a painted and decaled surface. I repeated this experiment with Future from a clear, freshly new bottle. The decals from both tests appeared equal to each other and I could not tell the difference if I did not know from the start which was which.

So maybe tossing out a yellowed bottle of Future (what ever name it is blessed with at the time) is unnecessary.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Friday, August 27, 2021, 04:05:11 PM PDT, gtws00 wrote:

I stored my Future in a cabinet in my workshop and it is always around 70 degrees or so in there. It must be a chemical reaction.

George Toman

_._,_._,_

Dick Harley

I have never airbrushed Future, and I see no reason to take the time to do that.  I apply it where I intend to decal with a Q-tip, and then throw it away, i.e. no clean-up time or trouble.

That stuff is so thin when dry that you can make a wet puddle with it on a flat surface, and it will be totally smooth with no discernible thickness when dry.
Marvelous stuff.

It can be dissolved and removed with household ammonia, if needed.

Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

Bill Keene

On Sep 1, 2021, at 6:33 PM, Dick Harley via groups.io <dick.harley4up=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I have never airbrushed Future, and I see no reason to take the time to do that. I apply it where I intend to decal with a Q-tip, and then throw it away, i.e. no clean-up time or trouble.
Question…
When you apply the Future let’s say to a tender for a centrally located locomotive number decal on a semi-gloss painted finish … do you apply the Future to just the area of the decal or to the entire tender side surface?

My concern is about the possibility of the gloss area not blending when the tender receives a final semi-gloss finish.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Dick Harley

I just apply Future to the general area where the decal will be.  Whatever you use to top-coat the decal (gloss, semi-gloss, flat) will be much thicker than the Future and will give a uniform finish.  The decal is more than 5 times thicker than the Future.

See photos of models at :
https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/PFEModels

Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

Tim O'Connor

Dick

Indeed! I have used it with a brush to hide scratches from sanding or from a chisel blade. Multiple
layers can be applied if the first layer doesn't do the job.

Tim O'Connor

On 9/1/2021 9:33 PM, Dick Harley via groups.io wrote:
I have never airbrushed Future, and I see no reason to take the time to do that.  I apply it where I intend to decal with a Q-tip, and then throw it away, i.e. no clean-up time or trouble.

That stuff is so thin when dry that you can make a wet puddle with it on a flat surface, and it will be totally smooth with no discernible thickness when dry.
Marvelous stuff.

It can be dissolved and removed with household ammonia, if needed.

Dick Harley

Sterling, Massachusetts