Speedwitch SP A-50-4 finished

Charlie Duckworth

Appreciate the input while I was building the A-50-4. Here’s the model next to the Virginian BX-10 just to illustrate the differences in heights of the various cars in the steam era.  I played around again with painting an unpainted roof walk on this one

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

O Fenton Wells

Boy Charlie that’s a gem
Fenton

On Aug 27, 2021, at 6:41 PM, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Appreciate the input while I was building the A-50-4. Here’s the model next to the Virginian BX-10 just to illustrate the differences in heights of the various cars in the steam era.  I played around again with painting an unpainted roof walk on this one

<DF91D32B-35EC-4FA1-991B-772FB93B6783.jpeg>
<E39265AA-1AFC-4BB3-94F4-4936F2776122.jpeg>

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

gtws00

Really Nice!
Well done
George Toman

Tony Thompson

Awfully nice Class A-50-4, Charlie. I like it a lot.

Tony Thompson
tony@signaturepress.com

Jim Betz

Hi all,

  Charlie's -excellent- model of the A-50-4 prompts me to ask the question ...

  Were these cars used for other products for the 'back haul'?  If so what products
and under what circumstances/eras?  Specific to this car ... what direction was it
used in automobile service (from/to)?
                                                                                                                 - Jim

Charlie Duckworth

Jim
I purposely left off the white stripes off the doors that denote auto rack service and will have the car running on the layout as a load of lumber into a small lumber yard.  One of the SP modelers will have to provide answers to your questions about the car in auto parts service.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Paul Doggett

Charlie

That A50-4 looks great.
After seeing your great model of the F&C Virginian car I have managed to pick a kit up.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 27 Aug 2021, at 23:41, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Appreciate the input while I was building the A-50-4. Here’s the model next to the Virginian BX-10 just to illustrate the differences in heights of the various cars in the steam era.  I played around again with painting an unpainted roof walk on this one

<DF91D32B-35EC-4FA1-991B-772FB93B6783.jpeg>
<E39265AA-1AFC-4BB3-94F4-4936F2776122.jpeg>

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Charlie Duckworth

Paul
I can highly recommend the National Scale Car decals for the Virginian BX-10. http://nationalscalecar.com/product/d215-virginian-1916-built-single-sheathed-box-car/
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Paul Doggett

Charlie thank you.
Paul

On 28 Aug 2021, at 11:46, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Paul
I can highly recommend the National Scale Car decals for the Virginian BX-10. http://nationalscalecar.com/product/d215-virginian-1916-built-single-sheathed-box-car/
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

radiodial868

Love the roof (and the whole car). That is the next thing I was going to try after the recent topic on color rooftop photos.
On a 40' car what would the running board material lengths have been? 12'? 16? Would joints on the 3 boards always been staggered? or not?
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Ken Adams

I started my A-50-4 kit sometime before the pandemic.  Frustrated by the grab iron drilling. Will have to look at it again.

In my early 1950's freight car collection, it would probably have been in lumber service westbound from Northern California or Oregon on the SP Western Division passing through Port Costa or eastbound to the lumbering areas returning empty. If in auto service, it would have been loaded westbound with car parts for Bay area assembly plants and eastbound empty in captive service. With a very small layout, every new car must have purpose related to the layout for being there.
--
Ken Adams

Charlie Duckworth

Ken
i had a couple issues building mine; the upper door track was extremely bend and I used it as a template using Evergreen 1” x 3” shapes and Archer rivets.  I’m happy how it came out.  As much as I tried I couldn’t bend the brass ladder in a right angle even with a bending tool designed for this purpose.  I used the ladder’s right brass part but the left one I used the brass part as a template for the hole locations and made one out of Evergreen.  Doing the end ladders kept the project on the ‘shelf of no return’ for several years.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Ken Roth

As to the question of loads in A-50-4 SP automobile cars, I would certainly agree with Ken Adams about the use of these cars in lumber service.  I have conductor's wheel reports from 1950 on the Siskiyou line from Ashland to Dunsmuir and trains headed railroad west are overwhelmingly loads of lumber and trains headed east are virtually all empty cars with many SP automobile cars of various classes as well as foreign road cars destined for loading lumber in the Rogue River valley.  HOWEVER, my favorite load for an SP A-50-4 car (not rebuilt like the Speedwitch model) is prunes!  Yes prunes.  See photo on page 147 of Southern Pacific in Oregon Pictorial by Dill and Austin.  It shows the car being loaded with prunes from a PMT pup trailer.  This inspired me to do a kitbash of an F&C A-50-5 into the A-50-4 car in this photo.

Ken Roth