Oliver Tractor Shipment - IC 60968 in April 1951

Andy Laurent

Gents,

Link to a newsletter of the Oliver Corporation describing, in detailed narrative and photos across 5 pages, the shipment of 5 "Oliver 88" tractors from Charles City, IA to Memphis, TN in April 1951 using flatcar IC 60968. You may have to click the 'expand arrows' in the upper right corner of the image to see and scroll through the whole issue.

I have also attached the PDF to this message. Cheers!

Andy L.
Madison, WI

nyc3001 .

Edited

This kind of reminds me of this post on the modelingthesp blog, but of course it's specific to one trip.

Does anyone know if any flatcar models or kits can be kitbashed into this car or other IC flatcars. I regularly see them in NYC freight consists on canadasouthern.com.

https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2017/05/free-running-freight-cars.html

Thanks,
Phil Lee

Clark Propst

What a great piece. Thanks so much for sharing!
Clark Propst

Brian Shumaker

Also of note, the entire route of 850 miles was all IC so they got all the money to ship this load. I’ve seen a photo of  the interurban Charles City & Western moving a load of White(formerly Oliver) tractors to Marble Rock and the connection to the Rock Island to take North or South.

Brian

radiodial868

Anyone else read the Oliver article in the voice of Jack Douglas narration from the old educational films that we endured in school?

..."With the tractor delivered to Mr. Bell's farm in Mississippi, we have completed the follow-through of the carload of tractors from Charles City to the field., We have seen how the tractors were transported 850 miles by rail from Charles City to Waterloo, to Chicago, and finally to Memphis in a total time of less than three days. That's what you call "service" in distributing the "Finest in Farm Machinery." The foregoing story accurately portrays the delivery of a load of tractors to a branch. In so far as timing and procedure are concerned, we have tried to picture the operations just as they actually occur in the course of normal shipping to our branches. Again we salute the Illinois Central Railroad on its Centennial and the Railroad Industry in general. OLIVER and its customers have been served courteously and well through the efforts of America's railroads. "
--
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA