Sunshine Kits

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Michael,
Fenton

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 6:57 PM Michael Gross <ActorMichaelGross@...> wrote:
Dear Friends,

Today I stopped at the Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena, CA and photographed some of the Sunshine models still available.  It is my understanding that some are partially built, but call the store for information and prices:  (626) 796-7791. Notice there are ten Intermountain ATSF plastic reefer kits available, as well.  Happy hunting!
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Michael Gross

Dear Friends,

Today I stopped at the Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena, CA and photographed some of the Sunshine models still available.  It is my understanding that some are partially built, but call the store for information and prices:  (626) 796-7791. Notice there are ten Intermountain ATSF plastic reefer kits available, as well.  Happy hunting!
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

mel perry

jim:
amen, been there twice, PITA
,-(
mel perry

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021, 2:17 PM np328 <jcdworkingonthenp@...> wrote:
       It is very possible these came in as an estate collection, after the owner had passed on.  If so, I would hope that the builder got some satisfaction for their money.

Of the instructions, perhaps these were all placed in a "secure location", perhaps a notebook, away and apart from the models.

     To expand on that, I'll explain with my own experiences: My brother and I when younger and more free, would go off on adventures and take pictures, pencil down track arrangements at places that looked good to model - someday. We were moved by Paul Larson and the articles and sites he used to document for publications. Many of the places, railroads no longer exist.
      Our father was older by then and recently retired, and would often ask if he could look over these and we left them with him. When younger, he had put the railroading bug into us and it seemed a nice way to return the favor. Photos and other items got stored at our fathers house and that seemed OK. Fast foreword and I get married, later my brother gets married, these items our dad would take out from time to time. Move decades foreword again to several years ago, my brother passed away, dad is quite old and passes away at 95. My mother moves to a retirement home and while my wife and I are on vacation,....my sisters get the bug to clean out the house.
     My father had photos he had taken over the 30s, 40s, 50s, of freight cars, many scenes like Union station in Chicago, or the C&NW lakefront Milwaukee station, much interurban stuff of the Chicago-Milwaukee area, Denver, Detroit, points east, and elsewhere. Much stuff get tossed including guess what of my brother and mine.
     It did not mean anything to my sisters nor the people who assisted them. Mostly all tossed.

     For people who have been through these events, the above will remind them of times they may not care to revisit.     There is a lesson here for those who care to see it.

 At least the kits in Pasadena got saved. And are bringing happiness to others.                                                                                                   James Dick  - Roseville, MN

lars svanevik

Dear Jim,

Well said.

Best regards,   Lars.

[...]

np328

[...]

golden1014

Hi Guys,

Regarding the Sunshine kits, if anybody going there has a smartphone handy, how about sending some photos of the models so we know what’s available?

John Golden
Ramstein, Germany

radiodial868

Been pondering this one. What would posses someone to start that many kits, get only so far each time, then put them back in the box without the PDS, decals and instructions?
Only story I can make up is that the person never had an airbrush but maybe planned one day to learn and kept the paperwork and decals in folders.  Goes to the great trainroom in the beyond and widow throws out all the folders, but the boxes end up at Whistle Stop?
Speaking of which, I used to go there in the 1970s-80's whenever in the LA area back in my narrow gauge days. Glad to hear it's still there.
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Hello all,

I wanted to second Rick's comments on the Sunshine kits.

I bought some and the $60 kits are built or partially built but missing data sheets and instructions. Unfortunately, one was missing parts.
The builds are definitely very credible and with just a small amount of messaging, paint and decals, they will be layout ready cars.

Dan Smith

rmink

I was there yesterday and bought one of those kits thinking it was a kit.  They are sealed in a poly wrap and when I got home I found that the kit was in fact partially assembled.  The parts were all there but no instructions.  Fortunately, the build was pretty well done.  I will enjoy completing the kit and upgrading some of the details.  The selection of kits was excellent and I was able to get a kit I had been looking for.  The prices also seemed reasonable $50 to $60. So just a word of caution.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Mink

Paul Koehler

All:

Yesterday while at the Whistle Stop in Pasadena I discovered that they had somewhere around 50 Sunshine kits for sale.  They are priced at either$50.00 or $60.00 each.  They are not on their web site so you will have to call for the numbers.  The usual disclaimer I have no financial interest in these kits or the store.

Paul