From: "Claus Schlund \(HGM\)" <claus@...>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021, 20:07
To: STMFC <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] used to load and unload steam era freight cars...
Hi List Members,

While the image below does not feature freight cars (there are some in the background tho...) the hand powered crane shown certainly was used to load and unload steam era freight cars...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

David Payne

Things moved slower back then; folks were happy to be moving at 20 mph instead of walking at 4 mph; unlike today when most of us can't see "Speed Limit" signs and are always in a hurry to ???
David Payne
Georgia

Kenneth Montero

Alexander Scale Models makes a similar pedestal crane in HO.

I do not know if anyone else makes a similar small pedestal crane.

Ken Montero

On 09/04/2021 3:07 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

While the image below does not feature freight cars (there are some in the background tho...) the hand powered crane shown certainly was used to load and unload steam era freight cars...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Philip Dove

A 20 ton crane was unusual, and probably only for lifting special freight once a day or less, the spur is obviously specially installed for that crane because you can only load one car at a time then you need to switch the car out.
I would have never thought of making the road vehicle and the rail car be at 90 degrees to each other but it makes sense theliad will not need any swinging off the crane hook to be aligned with the car it is lowering things onto, and the fixed jib makes this more important. The fixed jib also means no one is goulng to lower the crane jib and over balance the crane.
A very interesting picture. Only question now is how will they load the boxcar with such a crane?

On Sat, 4 Sep 2021, 21:20 David Payne via groups.io, <davidcofga=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Things moved slower back then; folks were happy to be moving at 20 mph instead of walking at 4 mph; unlike today when most of us can't see "Speed Limit" signs and are always in a hurry to ???
David Payne
Georgia

There is an old Brownhoist pillar crane still standing in Rockport, MA. Reportedly used to load granite slabs onto flat cars.

Jack Dziadul
Sanford, NC

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 12:40 PM, Philip Dove wrote:
In 1924 it seems incredible they didn't have some gas engine.
Which means someone would have to maintain it. These cranes were most often on public team tracks for the convenience of consignees receiving occasional heavy freight, which means they were used by people who weren't railroad employees, so if it broke, no one could be held responsible. The hand crank hoist was practically indestructible, and self limiting as to overloading. If a consignee was unloading a load every week, that was time to put in a private spur with whatever type of crane he chose.

Dennis Storzek

Philip Dove

This is a massive pedastal crane, normally the lifted 2.25 tons or less

On Sat, 4 Sep 2021, 21:26 Kenneth Montero, <va661midlo@...> wrote:
Alexander Scale Models makes a similar pedestal crane in HO.

I do not know if anyone else makes a similar small pedestal crane.

Ken Montero

On 09/04/2021 3:07 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

While the image below does not feature freight cars (there are some in the background tho...) the hand powered crane shown certainly was used to load and unload steam era freight cars...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

CJ Riley <cjriley42@...>

A pillar crane similar to one once offered by Alexander (I believe).

Andy Laurent

On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 12:07 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
Hi List Members,

While the image below does not feature freight cars (there are some in the background tho...) the hand powered crane shown certainly was used to load and unload steam era freight cars...

The foundation for that NJI&I crane is still visible in South Bend, IN right here at the corner of Edward and McPherson Streets: https://goo.gl/maps/onHpE16Si4rQW5r57
The diamond that the NJI&I used to cross the NYC (SS&S) to reach Studebaker Corp was immediately north of that crane.
Andy