ACF Type 11 Tankcar

Charlie Duckworth

Was there ever a RTR or kit available for the AC&F Type 11 tank car?
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Eric Hansmann

Funaro & Camerlengo offer an HO scale kit for an AC&F Type 11 tank car. I don't know the gallon capacity but it looks like 8k.

They have always marked this kit as a Type 2 but it has been noted here in the past that it should be a Type 11.

I do not know of an RTR version.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 09/05/2021 1:14 PM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Was there ever a RTR or kit available for the AC&F Type 11 tank car?
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Charlie Duckworth

Thanks.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Ian MacKellar

I recently finished construction of one of the F&C cars and it is waiting for my next paint multiple cars day. In typical fashion for F&C the directions were almost nonexistent. Some parts did not fit, in particular the bottom of the tank casting took a lot of work to get it to fit to the main tank. The main tank casting has a serious blemish on one side. Several smaller parts were just plain missing or the castings were bad. I used Tichy K brake and end hand rails, Yarmouth brake levers and Carmer cut levers, Evergreen strips for the tank bands, and A-line corner steps bent for side mounting. If you want a challenge, this is the kit for you.

Paul Doggett

Ian

That’s looking really good.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 6 Sep 2021, at 14:57, Ian MacKellar <cncaboose@...> wrote:

I recently finished construction of one of the F&C cars and it is waiting for my next paint multiple cars day. In typical fashion for F&C the directions were almost nonexistent. Some parts did not fit, in particular the bottom of the tank casting took a lot of work to get it to fit to the main tank. The main tank casting has a serious blemish on one side. Several smaller parts were just plain missing or the castings were bad. I used Tichy K brake and end hand rails, Yarmouth brake levers and Carmer cut levers, Evergreen strips for the tank bands, and A-line corner steps bent for side mounting. If you want a challenge, this is the kit for you.
<P9060005.JPG>
<P9060007.JPG>
<P9060006.JPG>

william darnaby

A few years back I finished three of these guys and they can be built into nice models.  The tank is crude because, as somebody mentioned, a brass model was used as the master resulting in the rivet detail being faint to nonexistent.  The solution is to scrape all of them off and replace with Archer rivets.  I am pretty sure I used Speedwitch decals for the DX and Mobil versions that I have.

Bill Darnaby

O Fenton Wells

Nice looking build Ian, what car line are you going to paint it?

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 9:57 AM Ian MacKellar <cncaboose@...> wrote:
I recently finished construction of one of the F&C cars and it is waiting for my next paint multiple cars day. In typical fashion for F&C the directions were almost nonexistent. Some parts did not fit, in particular the bottom of the tank casting took a lot of work to get it to fit to the main tank. The main tank casting has a serious blemish on one side. Several smaller parts were just plain missing or the castings were bad. I used Tichy K brake and end hand rails, Yarmouth brake levers and Carmer cut levers, Evergreen strips for the tank bands, and A-line corner steps bent for side mounting. If you want a challenge, this is the kit for you.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Ian MacKellar

DX with the Speedwitch decals

Steve SANDIFER

My version, Ted’s decals. I have two, one the F&C and one the Sunset. I purchased the Sunset painted white with Ethyl paint scheme, stripped it, added underbody details, and painted it.

J. Stephen Sandifer

thanks for the review; after building the high walkway tankcar a year ago I just couldn’t put myself through building another F&C tankcar and it didn’t have near the issues you mentioned with the Type 11 kit.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

O Fenton Wells