Help!

I am re-creating the box car in the attached photo. I have done everything except affix the white paper sign to the right side. I’m a little anxious about how to do this without discoloring the white paper, and making sure the sign stays put (adhering paper to plastic). Most contact cements are not clear, and would soak into the paper, discoloring it. I’ve considered plain old thinned Elmer’s glue, but worry it won’t stay put.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Tony Thompson

Canopy glue! I use it all the time for paper onto models.

Tony Thompson

On Sep 8, 2021, at 12:22 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

I am re-creating the box car in the attached photo. I have done everything except affix the white paper sign to the right side. I’m a little anxious about how to do this without discoloring the white paper, and making sure the sign stays put (adhering paper to plastic). Most contact cements are not clear, and would soak into the paper, discoloring it. I’ve considered plain old thinned Elmer’s glue, but worry it won’t stay put.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
--
<image001.png>
Brian Ehni

<CNW 71838 OTC UNCLES AVE DON BOB BARNARD-1.jpg><image001.png>

Rick Woods

Try a light coat of 3M spray mount adhesive.  If you want it to be "permanent", slap it on the car right away while still wet.
If you want it to be removable, let it air dry for a a bit, then slap it on the car.  In this instance, if it falls off, re-apply.
--
Rick Woods
Elkhorn, WI

Thanks for your suggestions.

Actually, I remembered (after sending the email, of course) that I had some 3M adhesive tape I bought for building some brass passenger cars that have multiple side pieces. I used that. It’s permanent.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 2:22 PM
To: realSTMFC <realSTMFC@groups.io>, Baby Boomer Freight Car List <bbfcl@groups.io>, "MFCL@groups.io" <MFCL@groups.io>
Subject: Help!

I am re-creating the box car in the attached photo. I have done everything except affix the white paper sign to the right side. I’m a little anxious about how to do this without discoloring the white paper, and making sure the sign stays put (adhering paper to plastic). Most contact cements are not clear, and would soak into the paper, discoloring it. I’ve considered plain old thinned Elmer’s glue, but worry it won’t stay put.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Jerry Michels

Brian, how about using the thinnest stripwood you can find to make a rectangle for the sign, attach with Elmers, and then attach the wood to the car side with contact cement, ACC, or something else?  Jerry Michels

Joseph Melhorn

Rubber Cement?

Joe Melhorn

Sahuarita, AZ  85629