RC Double Staggered Door 40' Box Car Redux

Ken Adams

It was $5.00 on the used shelf at my LHS and I have a weakness for 40' DD box cars. This one is lettered for D&RGW 65192 Model RC-8513-c. It was minimally partially built.

There was a long trail of messages about 15 years old about this which generally indicated it is a foobie with the 10'0 IH  and 4+5 ends. If it had been 10'4" or 10'6" it might have had a real counterpart.

I am not averse to a little effort in decals and detail bashing to into a closer replica of a real 1937 AAR 40' DD box car that will fit in the auto-parts traffic moving empty or load through my Port Costa scene in the 1950-54 period.

This is the RC car and the YMW model still untouched in the TBB pile waiting for me to get up the nerve to tackle a $75 kit.
--
Ken Adams

O Fenton Wells

Go Ken Go, I've found that on the resin cars I missed or just were not willing to pay the asking price that I can come pretty close to having a close copy by BASHING.  And I can credit all that to Greg Martin and the Cocoa Beach Shake'N Take program that he and Schuyler Larrabee conducted.with.  Way to go guys, many thanks
Fenton

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 7:06 PM Ken Adams <smadanek44g@...> wrote:
It was $5.00 on the used shelf at my LHS and I have a weakness for 40' DD box cars. This one is lettered for D&RGW 65192 Model RC-8513-c. It was minimally partially built.

There was a long trail of messages about 15 years old about this which generally indicated it is a foobie with the 10'0 IH  and 4+5 ends. If it had been 10'4" or 10'6" it might have had a real counterpart.

I am not averse to a little effort in decals and detail bashing to into a closer replica of a real 1937 AAR 40' DD box car that will fit in the auto-parts traffic moving empty or load through my Port Costa scene in the 1950-54 period.

This is the RC car and the YMW model still untouched in the TBB pile waiting for me to get up the nerve to tackle a $75 kit.
--
Ken Adams

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Ken Adams

I have stripped the RC DD 40' car as it was not at all close to the D&RGW scheme.  Looking at the car, I was wondering if it could be made into a UP A-50-16.  I know there was a very good Marklin model o this car but it appears to have disappeared from the usual used model markets.

This is the National Scale Car picture of the Marklin model for comparison with the picture below of the RC version. The roof appears to be identical and the RC kit comes with Youngstown doors. The only major change would be to the sill reinforcement below the doors to match the UP model. I'll have to do some more research on the brake gear. Unfortunately the original Speedwitch decal set for this model is out of stock at NSC and I would not expect it to be reissued with none of the Marklin cars on the horizon. It might be pieced together from other sets.

Is this a reasonable use for the RC kit? I don't have a good prototype photo of a  UP A-50-16 in the late 1940's or early 1950's to use as a reference.  I don't want to create a total foobie.
--
Ken Adams

Bryian Sones

Ken,

The most glaring issue using the RC car for a UP A-50-16 is the RC car lacks the ACR (Alternating Center Rivets).

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Saturday, November 6, 2021, 12:11:53 PM PDT, Ken Adams <smadanek44g@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Clements

There are prototype photos in an old RMJ article on Trainlife. Tichy makes decals for both the yellow and white stripe schemes.
--
Mike Clements
Wakefield, MA

Tim O'Connor

For which Archer makes excellent replacements. Every serious UP modeler has to deal
with A.C.R. 😁

But the Red Caboose 10 foot inside height double door car?? That's a starting point for
nothing other than the two prototypes - Soo and Seaboard.

Tim O'Connor

On 11/6/2021 3:36 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io wrote:
Ken,

The most glaring issue using the RC car for a UP A-50-16 is the RC car lacks the ACR (Alternating Center Rivets).

Bryian Sones

Sterling, Massachusetts

brianleppert@att.net

Speedwitch offers the doors for the Seaboard car, part P100.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Mike Clements

I was looking at these articles yesterday. Clearly I was thinking of the photos of the A-50-19 series as the A-50-16 photo is not period for you. You want the 1998 article below:

rmj_1998_1 – Trainlife.com Model Railroading Magazine Archive
rmj_1992_6 – Trainlife.com Model Railroading Magazine Archive

UP DECALS - Page -1 (tichytraingroup.com)

Mike Clements
Wakefield, MA
nyc65.wordpress.com

Ken Adams

Thanks for the quick input from all of you.

The SOO line prototype looks like the better choice give the Cal-P traffic patterns. The SOO line car would feasibly be found in auto parts service to and returning empty from the Bay Area GM auto assembly plant. I try to fit every addition to my freight car collection to a real economic reason for it passing through my little Port Costa layout on the SP Western Division mainline.

The choice of SOO as the prototype changes the project to a simple assembly, paint and decal job. Are there underframe drawings easily accessible that might determine the extent of under side detailing. I have the full Mainline Modeler collection and have used the Trainlife RMJ collection before.

I would still like to add a UP A-50-16 to my 40' DD collection. I will keep a lookout for the Marklin cars at affordable prices.  I am woefully short of UP cars for the Cal-P in the 1950-54 period I model. Unrealistically I focus on 40 foot cars as my available layout space restricts my entire mainline length to 14 feet. Trains will be assembled but only photographed. There is no room for operation.

I am still leery of ordering Tichy decals due to the print thickness problem. If anyone can report that this has been resolved, I would gladly order more Tichy decals as there are many in the Tichy catalog I could use. I am now happy with NSC and Microscale decals these days now I have found the new LED light table to enable me to see the decal against the very light blue backing and determine which smaller decals are to be cut out.
--
Ken Adams

Brian Carlson

You should get the speedwitch doors for the Soo car too when in stock.

Brian J. Carlson

On Nov 6, 2021, at 5:11 PM, Ken Adams <smadanek44g@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

steve_wintner

I think they've been out of stock for quit a while, not sure if Ted if planning on re-running them.

Steve

Mike Clements

Ken thanks for pointing out the issues with Tichy decals - I hadn’t heard anything about these. I have a set that I am getting ready to use and bought in the last year - now that I look close at them they are certainly puffy. On the bright side they would make great surface transfers if they don’t flatten out after application LOL. The instructions - which I hadn’t looked either - say to apply large logos etc with Elmers glue (I’m thinking Future would work better). Sounds like junk I may play around with them before throwing out.
--
Mike Clements
Wakefield, MA

David Ball

Ken its probably worth noting that the Soo cars had square ends while the car you have has W ends.

So that more or less narrows it the SAL car (which did have W ends), assuming you are worried about such things.

The NSC (ex Speedwitch) decal set D103 has the needed decals for this car, but is currently out if stock. As Brian has mentioned, Ted also has casting to better model the doors.

David Ball

Tony Thompson

Mike Clements wrote:

Ken thanks for pointing out the issues with Tichy decals . . . . On the bright side they would make great surface transfers if they don’t flatten out after application LOL.
They do flatten somewhat, final result is not noticeably "puffy.”

The instructions - which I hadn’t looked either - say to apply large logos etc with Elmers glue
Naw. Just apply ‘em like regular decals.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 02:11 PM, Ken Adams wrote:
The SOO line prototype looks like the better choice give the Cal-P traffic patterns. The SOO line car would feasibly be found in auto parts service to and returning empty from the Bay Area GM auto assembly plant.
The Soo Line had very little automobile and auto parts traffic, the Ford plant in St. Paul being the only assembly plant in Soo territory. I suspect these double door cars were bought for roll paper traffic out of Neenah and Menasha Wisconsin.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

On a perfectly flat surface they are ok to use. I use them only if there's no alternative.

On 11/6/2021 6:15 PM, Mike Clements via groups.io wrote:
Ken thanks for pointing out the issues with Tichy decals - I hadn’t heard anything about these. I have a set that I am getting ready to use and bought in the last year - now that I look close at them they are certainly puffy. On the bright side they would make great surface transfers if they don’t flatten out after application LOL. The instructions - which I hadn’t looked either - say to apply large logos etc with Elmers glue (I’m thinking Future would work better). Sounds like junk I may play around with them before throwing out.
--
Mike Clements
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Ken Adams

I'm still mulling over my choices. It seems the RC model would only be close to the SAL 40' DD prototype. I would go with the SAL car and livery but I am unsure of any 1950-54 economic shipping activity that would lead to frequent sighting of the prototype an SAL on the Cal-P mainline of the SP Western Division. If anyone has any information to confirm there was a case for these cars coming frequently to Northern California, please let me know. I am trying to closely match my freight car active inventory to match what would actually be seen on the trackage I am trying to model. Unfortunately the 6 inch car body height is noticeable otherwise I would go with the UP prototype. I keep looking for the Marklin UP single and double door box cars on Ebay and other online markets,  Unfortunately it has now been almost 2 years since we had local swap meets and NMRA Coast Division auctions.

This kit was a $5 quick decision on my local hobby shop consignment shelf. Post acquisition justification for a kit is not always the best recommended practice. Possibly the original owner had a similar quandary.

Also a currently available decal recommendation for a SAL 40' DD car would be appreciated.  The NSC/Speedwitch set for the specific car is currently out of production and as the matching model is not being made by IM, not likely to be revived.
--
Ken Adams
Still in splendid Shelter In Place solitude, about half way up Walnut Creek, California

Ken -- AAR car loading rules for XM box cars meant they could go almost anywhere
with almost any kind of cargo, as long as the shipper was perfectly happy to load the
car. So I have no doubt the SAL box cars made it to the west coast with loads from the
midwest or eastern or southern US.  Furniture, cotton, textiles, cigarettes, lumber, paper,
and just about anything else.

What's more is that the SAL had several groups of 40 foot double door cars, so this was
a relatively common type of car from the SAL.

Uncommon cars - not seen every day - are a common sight on railroads, especially in
the era while ICC tariff regulations were in force. Every good layout needs a few outliers
that show up occasionally. 😁

FYI under CURRENT rules an unassigned box car owned by any railroad can literally be
loaded for any destination from any origin - A truly free floating fleet of freight cars

Tim O'Connor

On 11/9/2021 12:50 PM, Ken Adams wrote:
[...]

Allan Smith

SAL Auto Boxcars in Northern Ca. SAL 23229 Sierra RR 1952 SAL 23477 Sierra 1954. From conductors lists 1952-1954.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

brianleppert@att.net

Ken, I suggest you go to National Scale Car's website and read the description for SAL decal set D103.  It covers box car classes B-6 thru B-9 and Auto cars AF-1, 2 and 3.  Surely it will be revived.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV