SLRX 25034

Bill Keene

Hello All,

Recently there has been some discussion regarding SLRX reefers. So I went into my slide files to see what there might be. Alas, not much.

Attached is the only SLRX photo that I have. This of the 25034 mechanical reefer built in 1954. I hope it is of some interest to the group. Photo was taken at the Kansas City Railroad Museum on May 19, 1974. This shortly after the museum moved to the downtown location.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Bill Keene

OOPs!!!

That should be SRLX 25034.

I will blame this typo on my mouse. I did not know that it could even type!  Can’t blame it on the cat … which I do know can type on a keyboard … anymore as she received her angel wings years ago.

Cheers,
— Bill

On Sep 18, 2021, at 3:21 PM, Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41@...> wrote:

Hello All,

Recently there has been some discussion regarding SLRX reefers. So I went into my slide files to see what there might be. Alas, not much.

Attached is the only SLRX photo that I have. This of the 25034 mechanical reefer built in 1954. I hope it is of some interest to the group. Photo was taken at the Kansas City Railroad Museum on May 19, 1974. This shortly after the museum moved to the downtown location.

<SLRX 25034 KCRM May 19, 1974-es.jpg>

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

O Fenton Wells

Thanks for sharing the photos Bill, your mouse types better than I do most days
Fenton

On Sep 18, 2021, at 6:28 PM, Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Bill I think that is SRLX, not SLRX. Two different companies.

And the SRLX reefer was painted a bright aluminum color.

Tim O'Connor

On 9/18/2021 6:21 PM, Bill Keene via groups.io wrote:
Hello All,

Recently there has been some discussion regarding SLRX reefers. So I went into my slide files to see what there might be. Alas, not much.

Attached is the only SLRX photo that I have. This of the 25034 mechanical reefer built in 1954. I hope it is of some interest to the group. Photo was taken at the Kansas City Railroad Museum on May 19, 1974. This shortly after the museum moved to the downtown location.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Keene

You are correct it is SRLX. I had sent a second message that corrected the typo. Blamed it on my mouse.

As for the paint color… That has been bothering me since I pulled the slide out of the file box. I remember that car being silver. This is an old Ektachrome slide and perhaps we are seeing some color shift with age. Not a good thing.

Another thought is that the car needs a bath.

If my skills with Photoshop were better I should try to correct this file.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Sep 19, 2021, at 4:21 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Bill I think that is SRLX, not SLRX. Two different companies.

And the SRLX reefer was painted a bright aluminum color.

Tim O'Connor

On 9/18/2021 6:21 PM, Bill Keene via groups.io wrote:
Hello All,

Recently there has been some discussion regarding SLRX reefers. So I went into my slide files to see what there might be. Alas, not much.

Attached is the only SLRX photo that I have. This of the 25034 mechanical reefer built in 1954. I hope it is of some interest to the group. Photo was taken at the Kansas City Railroad Museum on May 19, 1974. This shortly after the museum moved to the downtown location.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts <srlx_15223 36ft_reefer GATC- SwiftsPremium fresh-paint 1963.jpg>

Bob Chaparro

Bill Keene commented about SRLX 25034.

“The car is really silver. The shade seen in the photo (an Ektachrome slide) is actually the car as it was received when donated to the Kansas City Railroad Museum. It is rather dirty. It was later wished off to reveal the silver paint. As the car was clean and dry it was used to store the higher valued items that the museum did not have the space to display.

I believe the car still had the cooling equipment in place. The fuel tanks were almost full when the museum received the car.

The KCRM had a number of reefers. The gift shop was installed into one of them—WCLX 2711, a Wilson meat reefer. Others provided display space and general storage space—URTX 26679 was one put to this use. I had hoped to get all of the reefers in line on a single track in build order and tell the story of each but this never became a reality.

I was most familiar with the WCLX 2711 as I was managing the Gift Shop. After cleaning the car out it made a grand space. Left the meat rails in place. I may have a picture or two of this car including the interior. The car received a good deal of TLC. It was washed and waxed—good old Turtle Wax—twice a year. I was the target of a good deal of ribbing about waxing a freight car.”

As to the Kansas City Railroad Museum, don’t go to Kansas City expecting to see these cars. I found this explanation on the ‘net:

“The Kansas City Railroad Museum was a museum located in Kansas City, Missouri. It was operated by the Smoky Hill Railway and Historical Society. Founded in 1964, the museum was initially located at Troug-Nichols siding in Lenexa, Kansas followed by the "house track" in downtown Lenexa, Kansas until 1973. Expansion forced them to move north of downtown Kansas City, Missouri, at 226 West 3rd Street to the Kansas City Southern "old team track" in the River Quay area. They were forced to move to Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base and five other locations in October 1980. They moved again to Belton, Missouri, about 1995 where they started operations with reporting marks SHRX. Later, they changed the name to Belton, Grandview and Kansas City Railroad.

As of February 1987, the museum roster included 3 steam locomotives, 8 diesel locomotives, 1 gas turbine-electric locomotive, 1 trolley car, 9 freight cars, 4 cabooses, 1 rotary snowplow, 6 special service cars, and 21 passenger cars. Eleven were privately owned.”

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railway Bull Shippers Group

https://groups.io/g/RailwayBullShippersGroup

Jim Eager

SRLX 25034 is from series 25001-25048. These nominal 50ft mech reefers were rebuilt 1966-67 (making them beyond the scope of this list) from SRLX 15000-15799 36-footers built by GATC in 1954.
Jim Eager