North Western Refrigerator Line color

Tim O'Connor

Regardless of the color, that's a very interesting looking car Fenton! I am not at all
familiar with that one, especially with the 4-hinge door!

Tim O'Connor

On 9/19/2021 10:45 AM, O Fenton Wells wrote:
This is the only NWX photo I have from 1957, Al Chione but it is not the number series you are looking for.  Hope it helps
Fenton

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 10:38 AM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
Scott,

For all the other NWX cars, the grey side scheme is perfect for my era (and I have at least one). However, for these specific cars, which are the SnT project car, that scheme is clearly not appropriate, not is the yellow and green scheme.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 04:19 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
These cars were originally built in 1940 for North Western Refrigerator Line, series 6800-6899. As noted in RP Cyc vol. 4, page 66, unlike the previous grey sides for NWX, these cars had "yellow-orange" sides. Might any of you have a suggestion for a paint match?
Bruce,
NWX 6804, one of the cars shown on p.66 is lettered for lease to Oscar Mayer. The other, 6858 is not marked for a lessee, but neither does it have the usual NorthWestern "ball and bar" insignia. The 68xx series were RSM meat reefers and likely all leased to meatpackers.  It's a reasonable conjecture that a lease is the reason for the non-standard color.
Reefer yellow with a drop of orange seems about right  for 1950s color photos of Oscar Mayer reefers and the various models of them produced over the years. I'd go with that in the absence of direct evidence.
Hope that's some help.
Jack Mullen

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Attachments:

_._,_._,_

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

I grew up along one of the C&NW suburban lines in Chicago during the fifties and sixties, and remember seeing the yellow and green reefers, sometimes seeing them  with a suburban train passing on an adjacent track. I can say with certainty that the reefers were painted in the passenger colors, and that the yellow was chrome yellow without a hint of orange.

However, since the cars in question were intended to be leased to meat packers, and had no hint of C&NW involvement, at least as far as the public was concerned, it makes sense that they should be painted like most reefers of the day, with reefer orange sides. As to cars without any marks for the company leasing it, that is not unusual; most leasing companies would do short term leases to allow companies to "fine tune" the size of their fleet, and these short term leases did not include custom lettering the car.

Dennis Storzek

Bruce Smith

Ed, et. al.,

Thanks!  That pretty much “seal’s the deal”. I happen to have the hobby paint match for SFRD on my bench, a bottle of Poly Scale Maine Central harvest gold. The Branchline car sides just need grab irons added - I need to add a second set on the left and I’ll use brass instead of the kit’s plastic and they can head to the paint shop.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...>
Date: Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 3:02 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] North Western Refrigerator Line color

On Sep 19, 2021, at 2:24 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Nice, but alas, none of these cars represent the scheme I am asking about. The car that I am modeling was built for NWX in 1940 and ultimately transferred to NADX circa 1950 and then leased to Hormel. While the Hormel scheme is great for everyone who modeled the SnT model as intended, circa mid-1950s, it won't work for me, and although both companies start with NORTH, I'm pretty sure NADX orange is not an indicator of the color of the NWX cars as built. And unfortunately, while most NWX cars were initially painted with grey sides, and post WWII a yellow and green scheme was adopted, neither of those scheme is relevant either. The AC&F built NWX 6800 series was a bit of an odd-ball, having solid yellow-orange sides. Now, one might reasonably speculate that the yellow might be the same as that on the yellow and green car, but I am looking for something more factual than speculation 😉

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Bruce, Tim, and others interested,

As you probably already know, ACF lot 2044 was a quantity of 100 - 40’ RSM wood reefers NWX 6800-6899 built at the Chicago plant ca. 7-40.

The ACF bill of materials denote “Yellow" for the sides; Mineral Red - rectangle under the door, ends, roof; black - bottom of side sills, steel hardware on the sides, underframe, trucks, side stencils; white - end stencils.

A paint sample of the “yellow” sides attached to the back-inside cover of this document, available for review at the Barriger National Railroad Library, is a yellow-orange shade. It's a virtual match to that used by InterMountain on the SFRD steel rebuild reefers originally offered by Long’s Drug Store.

The National Museum of Transportation has in their ACF drawing collection a number of applicable lot 2044 drawings to include a general arrangement, brake arrangement, and stencils.

If interested in receiving a list of available drawings, contact me OFF LIST at hawk0621@.... An order would need to be placed with the library archivist Teresa Militello at the NMOT.

Regards,

Ed Hawkins