FTWD Covered Hopper

Jerry Michels

Just wanted to let you guys know that the Amarillo Railroad Museum just received a limited run of InterMountain FTW&D 2-bay HC1 hoppers. Check out our website (www.amarillorailmuseum.com) or search eBay. Six numbers, roof redone to correct raised-rib type.

Thanks,
Jerry Michels

Bruce Hendrick

These are beautiful models. Thanks for the notification.

Were these cars in nationwide service or were they in captive service around the Dallas area? Thanks

BTW- I did not find them on ebay, just the museum site.

Bruce Hendrick
Brea, California

On Monday, September 20, 2021, 10:36:46 AM PDT, Jerry Michels <gjmichels53@...> wrote:

Just wanted to let you guys know that the Amarillo Railroad Museum just received a limited run of InterMountain FTW&D 2-bay HC1 hoppers.  Check out our website (www.amarillorailmuseum.com) or search eBay.  Six numbers, roof redone to correct raised-rib type.

Thanks,
Jerry Michels

Tim O'Connor

I think cement is made and used all over the country, so as a result it tends not to travel long distances.
The cars could certainly go off line under AAR rules but probably spent most of their time on Burlington
lines or in the immediate neighborhood of Burlington lines.

On 9/20/2021 3:46 PM, Bruce Hendrick wrote:
These are beautiful models. Thanks for the notification.

Were these cars in nationwide service or were they in captive service around the Dallas area? Thanks

BTW- I did not find them on ebay, just the museum site.

Bruce Hendrick
Brea, California

On Monday, September 20, 2021, 10:36:46 AM PDT, Jerry Michels <gjmichels53@...> wrote:

Just wanted to let you guys know that the Amarillo Railroad Museum just received a limited run of InterMountain FTW&D 2-bay HC1 hoppers.  Check out our website (www.amarillorailmuseum.com) or search eBay.  Six numbers, roof redone to correct raised-rib type.

Thanks,
Jerry Michels

Sterling, Massachusetts

Jerry Michels

Well the reweigh date is for Gillette, Wyoming. Still associated with the Northerns and Q, but quite far north.  I will check on the eBay listing  Something is screwy.  Jerry Michels

William Hirt

Bentonite service. Bentonite is often referred to as drilling mud. The Q served several Bentonite mines in Wyoming.

Bill Hirt

On 9/28/2021 7:09 PM, Jerry Michels wrote:
Well the reweigh date is for Gillette, Wyoming. Still associated with the Northerns and Q, but quite far north.  I will check on the eBay listing  Something is screwy.  Jerry Michels
_._,_._,_

Tim O'Connor

Bentonite is  a commonly used binder (large quantities) for taconite. Drilling muds use bentonite as an ingredient but
I think there's a lot more to them. In the future UP and BN will compete fiercely for Wyoming bentonite traffic, carrying
it hundreds of extra miles on circuitous routes.

Tim O'Connor

On 9/29/2021 11:37 AM, William Hirt wrote:

Bentonite service. Bentonite is often referred to as drilling mud. The Q served several Bentonite mines in Wyoming.

Bill Hirt

On 9/28/2021 7:09 PM, Jerry Michels wrote:
Well the reweigh date is for Gillette, Wyoming. Still associated with the Northerns and Q, but quite far north.  I will check on the eBay listing  Something is screwy.  Jerry Michels

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bentonite is also used as waterproofing, built up in a thickness in an excavation for a building or pond (to keep the water from leaking out).  Nowadays they impregnate fabric with it to use as directly on foundations, but I believe this innovation happened after 'our' era.  Maybe somebody else knows more.

Mike Aufderheide