Milwaukee USRA SS (faded) boxcar color question

Tim O'Connor

Pre-shading is a good idea, but if it's not possible (RTR lettering) then post-shading by touching up
unlettered areas of the car works almost as well. :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 9/22/2021 9:30 PM, steve_wintner via groups.io wrote:
Fading should be somewhat uneven, seems to me.the plastic models community has widely adopted the idea of pre-shading, following with an overall coat. That can of course be followed with various washes & oversprays.

By pre-shading, i mean some areas are light (e g. Grey primer) and overs sprayed with darker or lighter shades. (E.g. the roof would be lighter, under the eaves & along the Z braces darker). This leads to a slight but visible variation in the overall color, which can then be followed with further efforts.

I've not tried myself, but I've seen enough to be offering the suggestion Charlie.

Steve
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

steve_wintner

Fading should be somewhat uneven, seems to me.the plastic models community has widely adopted the idea of pre-shading, following with an overall coat. That can of course be followed with various washes & oversprays. 

By pre-shading, i mean some areas are light (e g. Grey primer) and overs sprayed with darker or lighter shades. (E.g. the roof would be lighter, under the eaves & along the Z braces darker). This leads to a slight but visible variation in the overall color, which can then be followed with further efforts. 

I've not tried myself, but I've seen enough to be offering the suggestion Charlie.

Steve

WILLIAM PARDIE

The Rapido product that I referenced is called Proto Paint Flat Haze.  The article was in the April 2020 RMC.  It was by Paul Dutka.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 9/22/21 7:39 AM (GMT-10:00)
To: "main@realstmfc.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Milwaukee USRA SS (faded) boxcar color question

Rapid offered a product to sprayu on a finished casr to replicate fading paint.  Ir qas covered in an RMC article about two years ago.  Rapido always seemed to be out of the item but I found]\one in a hobby shop in Canada.  I have not tried it as yet.

Bill Pardie

On Sep 22, 2021, at 2:11 AM, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

I’ve just finished a Westerfield USRA SS boxcar and have decals to finish it as a Milwaukee RR car.  I’d like to finish as a car that’s been in service 15+ years so looking for some suggestions on using Tru-Color paints to obtain a faded boxcar finish.  

Thanks 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

WILLIAM PARDIE

Rapid offered a product to sprayu on a finished casr to replicate fading paint.  Ir qas covered in an RMC article about two years ago.  Rapido always seemed to be out of the item but I found]\one in a hobby shop in Canada.  I have not tried it as yet.

Bill Pardie

On Sep 22, 2021, at 2:11 AM, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

I’ve just finished a Westerfield USRA SS boxcar and have decals to finish it as a Milwaukee RR car.  I’d like to finish as a car that’s been in service 15+ years so looking for some suggestions on using Tru-Color paints to obtain a faded boxcar finish.  

Thanks 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Chuck Cover

Hi Charlie,

I do not use Tru-Color paints, however, when I want to do a faded car, I paint the car it’s prototypical color, apply decals, and then weather it with washes of acrylic paints.  For the MILW car shown, I used Raw Umber with a small amount of Parchment acrylic paint mixed and then diluted with water to make a thin wash.  The wash is applied to the ends and sides using vertical brush strokes.  Wait a few minutes for the wash to dry and apply additional washes until you get the faded effect that you desire.  White can be substituted for parchment but it lightens the wash much more. 

The faded look we see in prototypical photos of freight cars is actually caused by many washes of rain/snow and dust/dirt that cover the cars.  Makes sense to weather our models in a similar fashion.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

PRR’s Shamokin Branch

Charlie Duckworth

Thanks 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.