Bob Ross ‘Happy Roofs’

Nelson Moyer

Can’t beat modeling from color photos. Very nice. Please post another photo after Dullcote, etc. for comparison.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Duckworth
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2021 8:35 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Bob Ross ‘Happy Roofs’

I found this heavily weather roof in some shots posted of trains around St Louis Union Station and thought I’d try and replicate it on the Westerfield boxcar I’m working on.  Used the water based oils (black, white and blue) and painted the individual panels in different shades.  I came back and added the white as shown in the prototype image.  After the oils dry I’ll seal with Dullcote and add some black pigment.   In a few shots I used a Q-tip to remove some of the gray to let the original color to show through.

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

James Brewer

Outstanding work Charlie! I'd love to see a live demonstration of your technique, perhaps on a future 20/20 Hindsight event.

Jim Brewer

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 10:19 AM Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Excellent work Charlie.
Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 23 Sep 2021, at 14:38, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

I found this heavily weather roof in some shots posted of trains around St Louis Union Station and thought I’d try and replicate it on the Westerfield boxcar I’m working on.  Used the water based oils (black, white and blue) and painted the individual panels in different shades.  I came back and added the white as shown in the prototype image.  After the oils dry I’ll seal with Dullcote and add some black pigment.   In a few shots I used a Q-tip to remove some of the gray to let the original color to show through.

<BE590534-7408-454F-8464-E9EFE6D241AE.jpeg>

<BCFFA833-5057-4E68-9132-D8B3040EA37A.jpeg>

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Paul Doggett

Excellent work Charlie.
Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 23 Sep 2021, at 14:38, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

I found this heavily weather roof in some shots posted of trains around St Louis Union Station and thought I’d try and replicate it on the Westerfield boxcar I’m working on.  Used the water based oils (black, white and blue) and painted the individual panels in different shades.  I came back and added the white as shown in the prototype image.  After the oils dry I’ll seal with Dullcote and add some black pigment.   In a few shots I used a Q-tip to remove some of the gray to let the original color to show through.

<BE590534-7408-454F-8464-E9EFE6D241AE.jpeg>

<BCFFA833-5057-4E68-9132-D8B3040EA37A.jpeg>

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Tim O'Connor

excellent !! 😁

On 9/23/2021 9:35 AM, Charlie Duckworth wrote:

I found this heavily weather roof in some shots posted of trains around St Louis Union Station and thought I’d try and replicate it on the Westerfield boxcar I’m working on.  Used the water based oils (black, white and blue) and painted the individual panels in different shades.  I came back and added the white as shown in the prototype image.  After the oils dry I’ll seal with Dullcote and add some black pigment.   In a few shots I used a Q-tip to remove some of the gray to let the original color to show through.

Charlie Duckworth

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Charlie Duckworth