Roundhouse 50' SS DD / drilling holes problems

D. Scott Chatfield

To reduce bit breakage, first, make sure the bit sticks out of the chuck twice the length of the flutes, second, lay off the scotch.....

Scott Chatfield

Todd Sullivan

Hi Ken,

When I am drilling holes in anything, I brace my drilling hand and/or the pin vise with my free hand.  I'm right handed, so I brace with my left by putting some fingers on a solid item (workbench or layout surface, usually), and having my index finger (usually) touching the pin vise or my right hand.  I also try to not put sideways pressure on the pin vise and drill bit, as that reduces the chance of the bit breaking.  It seems to be working, as I have had few broken bits over the past few months.

On one occasion, I broke three bits in rapid succession, do I put down the pin vise and had a serious talk with myself about improving my technique and being steadier.  My personal trip to my (virtual) woodshed worked, as I haven't broken another bit since.

I hope these suggestions help!

Todd Sullivan