Tamiya Thinner Question

Craig Zeni

That's exactly what I'm doing. The Tamiya lacquer thinner doesn't smell like any lacquer thinner I've ever seen. It works superbly and the airbrushed finish dries very quickly.

Nelson Moyer

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and links. The question has been answered.

Nelson Moyer

Robert J Miller CFA

This is what Andy of Andy’s Hobby Headquarters suggests. I’ve tried it with a new bottle of Tamiya paint and sprayed with my Iwata HP-CS with no issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQsXFl3yLho

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2021 10:42 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Tamiya Thinner Question

This may be off topic, but I have several freight car under construction, and I’d like to move away from Dullcote. I have bottles of Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinner, but no thinning instructions are on the label, and I can’t find thinning instructions on their web site. What’s the paint to thinner ratio for Tamiya products for airbrushing?

Nelson Moyer

loumickie

Nelson,

I have also had very good results using Mr. Color Leveling Thinner with Tamiya paint. Many of the military modeling crowd use this as a go to, I mix it roughly 50/50 and spray it with my Iwata HP-CP at 20 psi.

Lou

Nelson Moyer

X-20A is acrylic thinner, while X-20 is lacquer thinner. Are you thinning acrylic paint with lacquer thinner?

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Craig Zeni
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2021 8:46 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tamiya Thinner Question

Roughly 50/50. But X20A is my third favorite for thinning Tamiya.  I prefer either the Tamiya brand of lacquer thinner, or the amazing Mr Color Self Leveling Thinner.

Craig Zeni

Roughly 50/50. But X20A is my third favorite for thinning Tamiya.  I prefer either the Tamiya brand of lacquer thinner, or the amazing Mr Color Self Leveling Thinner.

Scott

Nelson,

Give Luckys Varnish a try too.  It comes in gloss, satin, Matt, extra Matt.  It is acrylic and comes pre thinned ready to go.  Get some plastic spoons and prime and paint the back sides then practice with the clears.  The extra Matt is dead flat with minimal color shift.  There are instructions on the product page on psi and distance.  It comes in various sizes so get the little 17mil bottles to see if you like it.  It is readily available on Ebay.

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/auxiliary-products-glues/1497-matt-lucky-varnish-17-ml.html

Scott McDonald 

steve_wintner

Nelson Moyer

This may be off topic, but I have several freight car under construction, and I’d like to move away from Dullcote. I have bottles of Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinner, but no thinning instructions are on the label, and I can’t find thinning instructions on their web site. What’s the paint to thinner ratio for Tamiya products for airbrushing?

Nelson Moyer