From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of WILLIAM PARDIE
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 7:10 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Searching For Product

I am trying to find 1/16" and 5/32" brass angles.  K&S formerly supplied them but a hobby shop told me they haven't had them for a while.

Any thoughts?

Bill Pardie

gtws00

Bill,
Sprue Brothers does offer Brass angle from both K&S and Albion Alloys
Search results (spruebrothers.com)

George Toman

ed_mines

I've been thinking about this too. I think that small brass shapes came from a company with that name - brass shapes - but I can't find them listed on the internet, maybe a victim of COVID.
K&S used to sell carded lengths of brass shapes products which I bought from hobbylinc; it looks like some of those carded shapes are either out of stock or discontinued
I used 1/32" angles & 1/32"X1/16" bars.

Maybe K&S bought out brass shapes.

ed_mines

I bought some 1mm (.039 in) brass bars from Albion, also very tiny,hollow brass tubes.

Ed Mines

Tim O'Connor

Des Plaines Hobbies used to stock a very extensive line of metal tubes - brass and stainless steel - all the way
down to "telescoping, hypodermic" sizes. Also brass and plastic shapes of every description. And I think tiny
sizes of steel wire a.k.a. piano wire.

Tim O'Connor

On 9/29/2021 3:53 PM, ed_mines via groups.io wrote:

I bought some 1mm (.039 in) brass bars from Albion, also very tiny,hollow brass tubes.

Ed Mines

_.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Scott H. Haycock

Ed,

You are probably thinking of Special Shapes Co. Their website is down. I believe I read they are no longer doing business, at least as far as our needs are concerned.

Scott Haycock

Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantment

On 09/29/2021 1:50 PM ed_mines via groups.io <ed_mines@...> wrote:

I've been thinking about this too. I think that small brass shapes came from a company with that name - brass shapes - but I can't find them listed on the internet, maybe a victim of COVID.
K&S used to sell carded lengths of brass shapes products which I bought from hobbylinc; it looks like some of those carded shapes are either out of stock or discontinued
I used 1/32" angles & 1/32"X1/16" bars.

Maybe K&S bought out brass shapes.

James Brewer

Jim Brewer

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 3:59 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Des Plaines Hobbies used to stock a very extensive line of metal tubes - brass and stainless steel - all the way
down to "telescoping, hypodermic" sizes. Also brass and plastic shapes of every description. And I think tiny
sizes of steel wire a.k.a. piano wire.

Tim O'Connor

On 9/29/2021 3:53 PM, ed_mines via groups.io wrote:

I bought some 1mm (.039 in) brass bars from Albion, also very tiny,hollow brass tubes.

Ed Mines

_.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Hudson Leighton

Micromark:

https://www.micromark.com/hobby-supplies/metal

Online Metals

https://www.onlinemetals.com/

Charles Happel

K&S Bought them out several years ago.

Chuck Happel

A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married.

H. L. Mencken

On Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 03:50:25 PM EDT, ed_mines via groups.io <ed_mines@...> wrote:

I've been thinking about this too. I think that small brass shapes came from a company with that name - brass shapes - but I can't find them listed on the internet, maybe a victim of COVID.
K&S used to sell carded lengths of brass shapes products which I bought from hobbylinc; it looks like some of those carded shapes are either out of stock or discontinued
I used 1/32" angles & 1/32"X1/16" bars.

Maybe K&S bought out brass shapes.

Kenneth Montero

Fellow modelers,

Albion Alloys Ltd. has a separate webpage for modeler's supplies at Albion Hobbies:

Albion Hobbies also provides other modeler's supplies: Flex-i-file, Mr. Hobby paints, sTyrene and metal sheets and shapes (check out their Maquette listings under Albion Hobbies).

ken Montero

On 09/29/2021 3:53 PM ed_mines via groups.io <ed_mines@...> wrote:

I bought some 1mm (.039 in) brass bars from Albion, also very tiny,hollow brass tubes.

Ed Mines

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 01:24 PM, Charles Happel wrote:
K&S Bought them out several years ago.
As I recall, it was a couple decades ago. The difference between the K&S line and what they offered under the Special Shapes label was the K&S line was all formed sheet metal, and always had rounded outside corners The Special Shapes product was machined from bar stock and had sharp corners. I remember when Special Shapes Co. was in a little industrial building on Belmont Rd. in Downers Grove, IL. The guy who ran it (by himself, I think) was a neat old guy.

Dennis Storzek

mel perry

check out cm3models on epay, they are
an english hobby store, that has rather a
large inventory of small brass shapes
:-)

ed_mines

yes, you are right.

I went to a web site someone recommended and found most of their inventory was out of stock.

I'm sure several other companies besides special shapes will remain out of business.

Hopefully K&S will buy out special shapes.

mel perry

small brass shapes was bought out by
amazon,  years ago
mel perry