PRR H30 decals


Clark Propst
 

A friend is starting on a Rail Shop Pennsy H30 hopper kit and needs decals. I told him to check K4 and I called a company doing PRR decals - "Middle Division"?

I'm sure he'd appreciate any help. He models 68 so he prefer later black lettering.

Thanks alot, Clark


Matthew Hurst
 

Hello Clark,

He needs to look up Mount Vernon Shops.  John Frantz does great work.

Regards,
Matthew Hurst



On October 5, 2021, at 4:32 PM, "Clark  Propst via groups.io" <cepropst@...> wrote:


A friend is starting on a Rail Shop Pennsy H30 hopper kit and needs decals. I told him to check K4 and I called a company doing PRR decals - "Middle Division"?

I'm sure he'd appreciate any help. He models 68 so he prefer later black lettering.

Thanks alot, Clark


James Brewer
 

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 4:39 PM Matthew Hurst <handbt33@...> wrote:

Hello Clark,

He needs to look up Mount Vernon Shops.  John Frantz does great work.

Regards,
Matthew Hurst



On October 5, 2021, at 4:32 PM, "Clark  Propst via groups.io" <cepropst=q.com@groups.io> wrote:


A friend is starting on a Rail Shop Pennsy H30 hopper kit and needs decals. I told him to check K4 and I called a company doing PRR decals - "Middle Division"?

I'm sure he'd appreciate any help. He models 68 so he prefer later black lettering.

Thanks alot, Clark


Chuck Cover
 

I did a review of the Rail Shop PRR H30 model in the PRRT&HS publication TKM No.78, Autumn 2011, which included some construction photos.  I have now built 2, they are nice kits.  Photo of finished cars on the layout are attached.

 

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

PRR’s Shamokin Branch


Tim O'Connor
 


did PRR lettering change at some point ? - the cars have different lettering

On 10/5/2021 7:00 PM, Chuck Cover wrote:

I did a review of the Rail Shop PRR H30 model in the PRRT&HS publication TKM No.78, Autumn 2011, which included some construction photos.  I have now built 2, they are nice kits.  Photo of finished cars on the layout are attached.

 

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

PRR’s Shamokin Branch

Attachments:



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Tim O'Connor
 

Chuck

Comparing with photos, the Champ decals roadname and some other lettering is clearly better, but neither
one of them is 100% accurate. The cars were 70 ton capacity, so the first car is clearly wrong on that score.
If there are Middle Division decals for these cars, those sets are usually reliably close to perfect.

I remember when Champ redid the stock car lettering for the Central Valley NP stock car kits. I thought the
lettering was excellent. Then I saw Rick Leach's decals set for the same cars, released by the NPRHA. It took
me quite a while to see any difference, but then there it is -- subtle differences in the shapes of the lettering! :-)
But I won't redo the cars I already built - If I ever build another one, I will use Rick's lettering.

Tim O'Connor


On 10/5/2021 7:00 PM, Chuck Cover wrote:

I did a review of the Rail Shop PRR H30 model in the PRRT&HS publication TKM No.78, Autumn 2011, which included some construction photos.  I have now built 2, they are nice kits.  Photo of finished cars on the layout are attached.

 

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

PRR’s Shamokin Branch

Attachments:



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Clark Propst
 

My buddy ordered a set from Des Plaines just before I got an email stating they had 4 sets of PRR hopper decals. Turns out the decals he got were Tichy. He had the best description of their decals. "The ink is so think even a blind man can read them"

We both thought we saved the email offering the Champ decals, but neither of us can find them. Could that person please contact me again?

My bewildered friend would very much appreciate it.  ;  ))

cepropst@q.com


Andy Miller
 

Clark,

   I suspect a typo in  "The ink is so think even a blind man can read them".  Is the ink “thin” or “thick”?

 

Regards,

 

Andy Miller

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clark Propst via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2021 10:37 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR H30 decals

 

My buddy ordered a set from Des Plaines just before I got an email stating they had 4 sets of PRR hopper decals. Turns out the decals he got were Tichy. He had the best description of their decals. "The ink is so think even a blind man can read them"

We both thought we saved the email offering the Champ decals, but neither of us can find them. Could that person please contact me again?

My bewildered friend would very much appreciate it.  ;  ))

cepropst@q.com


Brian Carlson
 

Thick. Many tichy decals are more like vinyl lettering. I threw mine out. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Oct 15, 2021, at 12:24 PM, Andy Miller <aslmmiller@...> wrote:



Clark,

   I suspect a typo in  "The ink is so think even a blind man can read them".  Is the ink “thin” or “thick”?

 

Regards,

 

Andy Miller

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clark Propst via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2021 10:37 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR H30 decals

 

My buddy ordered a set from Des Plaines just before I got an email stating they had 4 sets of PRR hopper decals. Turns out the decals he got were Tichy. He had the best description of their decals. "The ink is so think even a blind man can read them"

We both thought we saved the email offering the Champ decals, but neither of us can find them. Could that person please contact me again?

My bewildered friend would very much appreciate it.  ;  ))

cepropst@q.com


--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY


Chuck Cover
 

Group,

 

I have used Tichy decals on quite a few projects and have found them fine.  I attached a photo of a Sunshine Mather boxcar that I decorated with Tichy decals.  I think everyone should judge for themselves. 

 

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM


Tony Thompson
 

They are thick on the sheet but seem to me okay on a weathered car - - meaning all of mine.
Tony Thompson 


On Oct 15, 2021, at 10:53 AM, Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:



Group,

 

I have used Tichy decals on quite a few projects and have found them fine.  I attached a photo of a Sunshine Mather boxcar that I decorated with Tichy decals.  I think everyone should judge for themselves. 

 

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

<C&EI (1).JPG>


 

John Frantz of Mount Vernon Shops makes beautiful sets of Pennsy equipment including the H30s, unfortunately he is sold out on the white keystone set. He does have the black lettering for the gray cars though.

You might get in contact with him to see if he will rerun them.

Rich Christie





Brian Carlson
 

They must vary by run. The set I bought was unusable. Ymmv. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Oct 15, 2021, at 1:55 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

They are thick on the sheet but seem to me okay on a weathered car - - meaning all of mine.
Tony Thompson 


On Oct 15, 2021, at 10:53 AM, Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:



Group,

 

I have used Tichy decals on quite a few projects and have found them fine.  I attached a photo of a Sunshine Mather boxcar that I decorated with Tichy decals.  I think everyone should judge for themselves. 

 

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

<C&EI (1).JPG>

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY


Andy Miller
 

I have heard that early production of Tichy decal were done on very heavy stock.  They learned, threw out all that remained of that run and have used thinner stock since.   Mind you, this is hearsay.  I have not (yet) bought any Tichy decals!

 

Andy Miller

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chuck Cover
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2021 1:53 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR H30 decals

 

Group,

 

I have used Tichy decals on quite a few projects and have found them fine.  I attached a photo of a Sunshine Mather boxcar that I decorated with Tichy decals.  I think everyone should judge for themselves. 

 

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM