End View for Rapido NP Boxcar

Michael Gross

In 2018, Ted Culotta documented adding finer details to Rapido's pre-WWII Northern Pacific DS boxcar.  Among Ted's enhancements to the B-End (photo below) was a brake staff pivot support made from an A-Line sill step.  Hoping to take this detail a step further, I would like to add whatever chain or cable attached to the staff above the support.  Can anyone provide a prototype photo of the B-End of NP's 10000-series boxcars, or am I safe in just wrapping a bit of fine chain around the staff without a photo?  Many thanks for any assistance.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

O Fenton Wells

I do the chain wrap.
Fenton

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 2:46 PM Michael Gross <ActorMichaelGross@...> wrote:
In 2018, Ted Culotta documented adding finer details to Rapido's pre-WWII Northern Pacific DS boxcar.  Among Ted's enhancements to the B-End (photo below) was a brake staff pivot support made from an A-Line sill step.  Hoping to take this detail a step further, I would like to add whatever chain or cable attached to the staff above the support.  Can anyone provide a prototype photo of the B-End of NP's 10000-series boxcars, or am I safe in just wrapping a bit of fine chain around the staff without a photo?  Many thanks for any assistance.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

np328

Michael,
     here are two of the builders photos I submitted to Rapido for the initial evaluation on producing this car many years ago.
Chain wrap can be plainly seen.                                                                                                                                                  James Dick - Roseville, MN

Nelson Moyer

I don’t have a B end shot of a NP car showing the brake chain, but here’s a CB&Q car of similar construction. Note that the chain isn’t wrapped around the square brake shaft unless the handbrake is set. The chain is bolted to the brake staff.  Also note that the stop cock for the air line is offset about 35° to the left of vertical. That’s standard practice for all stop cocks, but I don’t remember the exact mounting angle.

Nelson Moyer