End View for Rapido NP Boxcar

Michael Gross

In 2018, Ted Culotta documented adding finer details to Rapido's pre-WWII Northern Pacific DS boxcar.  Among Ted's enhancements to the B-End (photo below) was a brake staff pivot support made from an A-Line sill step.  Hoping to take this detail a step further, I would like to add whatever chain or cable attached to the staff above the support.  Can anyone provide a prototype photo of the B-End of NP's 10000-series boxcars, or am I safe in just wrapping a bit of fine chain around the staff without a photo?  Many thanks for any assistance.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

O Fenton Wells

I do the chain wrap.
Fenton

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 2:46 PM Michael Gross <ActorMichaelGross@...> wrote:
In 2018, Ted Culotta documented adding finer details to Rapido's pre-WWII Northern Pacific DS boxcar.  Among Ted's enhancements to the B-End (photo below) was a brake staff pivot support made from an A-Line sill step.  Hoping to take this detail a step further, I would like to add whatever chain or cable attached to the staff above the support.  Can anyone provide a prototype photo of the B-End of NP's 10000-series boxcars, or am I safe in just wrapping a bit of fine chain around the staff without a photo?  Many thanks for any assistance.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

np328

Michael, 
     here are two of the builders photos I submitted to Rapido for the initial evaluation on producing this car many years ago. 
Chain wrap can be plainly seen.                                                                                                                                                  James Dick - Roseville, MN  

Nelson Moyer

I don’t have a B end shot of a NP car showing the brake chain, but here’s a CB&Q car of similar construction. Note that the chain isn’t wrapped around the square brake shaft unless the handbrake is set. The chain is bolted to the brake staff.  Also note that the stop cock for the air line is offset about 35° to the left of vertical. That’s standard practice for all stop cocks, but I don’t remember the exact mounting angle.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Gross
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 1:47 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] End View for Rapido NP Boxcar

In 2018, Ted Culotta documented adding finer details to Rapido's pre-WWII Northern Pacific DS boxcar.  Among Ted's enhancements to the B-End (photo below) was a brake staff pivot support made from an A-Line sill step.  Hoping to take this detail a step further, I would like to add whatever chain or cable attached to the staff above the support.  Can anyone provide a prototype photo of the B-End of NP's 10000-series boxcars, or am I safe in just wrapping a bit of fine chain around the staff without a photo?  Many thanks for any assistance.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

np328

Someone mentioned off line they had trouble opening my TIFF formatted uploads. I'll see if I can convert them to jpg as for the website, that format seems to work better.   Jim 

Michael Gross

Thank you, James, Fenton and Nelson...

The end photographs and the information are extremely helpful, and I thank you for your kindness.

Wonderful to be surrounded by those who know much more than I.  :0)
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

np328

Here as jpgs   Jim 

Eric Hansmann

I created that brake staff support using etched metal part fret material. The details were installed on a pair of B&O M-26b boxcars. I found the etched metal was easier to drill and form than the A-Line steps. YMMV. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Oct 10, 2021, at 1:46 PM, Michael Gross <ActorMichaelGross@...> wrote:

--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA
<Rapido B-End.jpg>

Nelson Moyer

A-Line sill steps are much easier to bend and shape after being annealed. Hold them in a flame until they glow red, then cool and bend away. I use an alcohol lamp, but a butane lighter or candle works.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 5:29 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] End View for Rapido NP Boxcar

I created that brake staff support using etched metal part fret material. The details were installed on a pair of B&O M-26b boxcars. I found the etched metal was easier to drill and form than the A-Line steps. YMMV. 

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

On Oct 10, 2021, at 1:46 PM, Michael Gross <ActorMichaelGross@...> wrote:

--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

<Rapido B-End.jpg>

Tim O'Connor

A soldering iron works too. It's greener :-)

On 10/10/2021 7:34 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

A-Line sill steps are much easier to bend and shape after being annealed. Hold them in a flame until they glow red, then cool and bend away. I use an alcohol lamp, but a butane lighter or candle works.

Nelson Moyer

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Eric Hansmann

Nelson,

I've tried to use the A-Line sill steps but had difficulty drilling the brake staff hole. I find the thinner etched metal fret material easier to drill, plus it's a bit wider than the sill steps. Here's an end view of the B&O M-26b boxcars I recently wrapped up. I used the leftover fret material for the brake staff support on both models. Click on the image for a slightly larger view.

Here's a three-quarter view before paint application.

BTW, attached is an end view of NP 11348 for your archives and to follow closer to the topic. This came from the AC&F collection on the Barriger Library Flickr site.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 10/10/2021 5:34 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

O Fenton Wells

Looking good Eric,
fenton

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 12:38 PM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:
Nelson,

I've tried to use the A-Line sill steps but had difficulty drilling the brake staff hole. I find the thinner etched metal fret material easier to drill, plus it's a bit wider than the sill steps. Here's an end view of the B&O M-26b boxcars I recently wrapped up. I used the leftover fret material for the brake staff support on both models. Click on the image for a slightly larger view.

BTW, attached is an end view of NP 11348 for your archives and to follow closer to the topic. This came from the AC&F collection on the Barriger Library Flickr site.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Nelson Moyer

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Nelson Moyer

I wasn’t suggesting using the A-Line sill steps for brake staff footings, just relating my experience with annealing to make them easier to bend. That came in very handy for the B&O wagon tops I’ve built, as those sill steps have a unique shape. It’s also good for sill steps with compound curves bending outward then down.

I use YMW 0.030 in. wide tank car strap for brake footings. It’s brass, easy to drill, and about the right size. Before that was available, I saved the strip brass in Westerfield kits for that purpose. I also use Precision Scale brake footings and occasionally left over Westerfield resin brake footings where they’re appropriate.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 11:38 AM

Nelson,

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Nelson Moyer

Steve and Barb Hile

Interestingly, it appears that the brake chain attaches to the shaft with some sort of yoke (half of a turnbuckle for extreme modelers! :>) )

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann

Nelson,

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Nelson Moyer

Nelson Moyer

The chain is attached to a U-bolt casting with eyes on both ends that is in turn bolted to the square shaft. I see that on CB&Q single sheathed boxcars. That’s too small to model in HO scale, so I insert the brake staff through the last link in the brake chain. I’ve seen modelers use a wire ring around the brake shaft with the chain attached to the ring.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve and Barb Hile
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:29 PM

Interestingly, it appears that the brake chain attaches to the shaft with some sort of yoke (half of a turnbuckle for extreme modelers! :>) )

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann

Nelson,

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Nelson Moyer

Steve and Barb Hile

If you zoom in on the NP boxcar end that Eric posted, it appears that the shaft is square from the lever end down to near the lowest ladder rung, where it seems to transition to a round rod that threads into the short segment of pipe that is attached via whatever yoke shape to the brake chain.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 1:33 PM

The chain is attached to a U-bolt casting with eyes on both ends that is in turn bolted to the square shaft. I see that on CB&Q single sheathed boxcars. That’s too small to model in HO scale, so I insert the brake staff through the last link in the brake chain. I’ve seen modelers use a wire ring around the brake shaft with the chain attached to the ring.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve and Barb Hile

Steve Hile

Nelson,

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Nelson Moyer

Nelson Moyer

Just think how much more difficult HO prototype modeling would be if we had high resolution photos for everything.

I see you’re a Lewis Carroll affection ado.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 3:07 PM

If you zoom in on the NP boxcar end that Eric posted, it appears that the shaft is square from the lever end down to near the lowest ladder rung, where it seems to transition to a round rod that threads into the short segment of pipe that is attached via whatever yoke shape to the brake chain.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Steve Hile

Steve and Barb Hile

Or at least Disney!   :>)

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 3:23 PM

Just think how much more difficult HO prototype modeling would be if we had high resolution photos for everything.

Nelson Moyer

Curiouser and curiouser.

Steve Hile

Steve SANDIFER

Here are a couple from my collection.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 1:33 PM

Nelson Moyer

Steve Hile

Nelson,

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Nelson Moyer

Nelson Moyer

Wow, did my spell checker mess that up.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 3:40 PM

Or at least Disney!   :>)

Steve Hile

Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 3:23 PM

Nelson Moyer

Curiouser and curiouser.

Steve Hile