PS-1 Underframe

Scott H. Haycock

Folks,

I need an underframe drawing for a 40' PS-1 with an 8' door built in 1954. The model I'm working on is A D&H car. I thought I had a scan from an old MM Article in my computer, but I'm unable to find it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Scott Haycock

Tim O'Connor

The article you remember is from the May 1993 Mainline Modeler.

But... why not just turn a Kadee or Intermountain or Tangent PS-1 box car upside down? The central cross bearers
may need to be relocated to the corners of the doors, but other than that...

Tim O'Connor

On 10/13/2021 2:58 AM, Scott H. Haycock wrote:
Folks,

I need an underframe drawing for a 40' PS-1 with an 8' door built in 1954. The model I'm working on is A D&H car. I thought I had a scan from an old MM Article in my computer, but I'm unable to find it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Scott Haycock

Sterling, Massachusetts

Ed Hawkins

On Oct 13, 2021, at 1:58 AM, Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

I need an underframe drawing for a 40' PS-1 with an 8' door built in 1954. The model I'm working on is A D&H car. I thought I had a scan from an old MM Article in my computer, but I'm unable to find it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Scott,
In April 1953 with production of 100 PS-1s built in lot 8105, Pullman-Standard introduced a new underframe modification applicable to subsequent PS-1s with door openings of 6’, 7’, and 8'. This new standard u/f design originated with the development and building of an experimental car, PSX-1 (the 2nd) in Job Order No. 36935, in which several other design changes were also made, such as welded seams joining the top & bottom end sheets (vs. riveted) & a change to the bolster design that included wider bolster to side sill connections (i.e., “bolster tabs”). All of these changes were incorporated in the 250 D&H 20000-20249 PS-1s built in lot 8294.

The lot 8105 & subsequent 40’ PS-1s used a “standard spread” of 8’-7 3/4”, measured to the crossbearer vertical webs. Truck centers were 30’-10”. Other applicable underframe dimensions are as follows with dimensions measured from the car center line to the vertical webs of either the crossbearers or floor beams (4” x 8.2 lb. Z).

a. 4’-3 7/8” to crossbearer web.
b. 8’-3 7/8” to 1st floor beam web (closest to car lengthwise center line).
c. 11’-2 3/4” to 2nd floor beam (closest to bolsters).
d. 15’-5” to bolster center line.

For drawings I suggest the N&W Historical Society Archives. P-S lots 8261 (N&W 42000-42499, built 8-55) & 8306 (N&W 42500-42899, built 10-56), which were nearly identical to the D&H cars of interest to you. The underframe should be identical.

Good luck with your model!
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Allan Smith

PS-1 Underframe with 8' door

Al Smith
Sonora Ca

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 09:44:27 AM PDT, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

[...]

Al, that's a 1952 PS-1 frame. It's missing the "ties" (I don't know what they're called) across the center sill found on the later cars.

On 10/13/2021 5:29 PM, Allan Smith wrote:
PS-1 Underframe with 8' door

Al Smith
Sonora Ca

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 09:44:27 AM PDT, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

On Oct 13, 2021, at 1:58 AM, Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

I need an underframe drawing for a 40' PS-1 with an 8' door built in 1954. The model I'm working on is A D&H car. I thought I had a scan from an old MM Article in my computer, but I'm unable to find it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sterling, Massachusetts

Scott H. Haycock

Hi Tim,

I'll pull that issue out, thanks.

Do any of the PS-1 model makers produce the late underframe with 3 floor stringers on each side of the centerbeam?

Scott Haycock
ent

On 10/13/2021 9:48 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

The article you remember is from the May 1993 Mainline Modeler.

But... why not just turn a Kadee or Intermountain or Tangent PS-1 box car upside down? The central cross bearers
may need to be relocated to the corners of the doors, but other than that...

Tim O'Connor

On 10/13/2021 2:58 AM, Scott H. Haycock wrote:
Folks,

I need an underframe drawing for a 40' PS-1 with an 8' door built in 1954. The model I'm working on is A D&H car. I thought I had a scan from an old MM Article in my computer, but I'm unable to find it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Scott Haycock

Sterling, Massachusetts

Scott H. Haycock

Thanks, Ed!

I located the N&W drawings per your recommendation-perfect!

I noticed that PS calls the crossbearers 'floor beams'. I looked up both terms in the 1940 CBC, and they appear to not be exactly the same thing. Since the term predates these cars, what, if anything, is the difference?

Scott Haycock

Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantment

On 10/13/2021 10:44 AM Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

[...]

Underframe & brake arrg’t -  https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=2679

Good luck with your model!
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Scott H. Haycock

Thanks, Al. That's the one I was looking for.

Scott Haycock
ent